Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Beto

Status
Not open for further replies.
My argument would be Calvert lewin looks no different at the moment so what difference would it make? I suspect that in 20 games, beto would score more than 0. His confidence must be shot seeing that he can't get a game over a striker that is on an abysmal run of form.
I don't agree I think Dom is missing chances and that is a big problem but his all round game is light years ahead of Beto. I'm not saying Dom is great either by the way.

Ultimately DCL needs to be dropped to give him a breather and reset, his confidence is gone. Beto’s not been given enough of a chance to judge in my opinion, and I’m convinced he would’ve scored more than DCL this season with the same minutes.
Exactly. Unfair to judge a player on a few 15-minute cameos

I don't agree I think Dom is missing chances and that is a big problem but his all round game is light years ahead of Beto.
Calvert lewin has been anonymous for months. What is he doing other than not scoring? He hasn't been bullying defenders like he used to. He seems to have lost a bit of pace and he doesn't hold the ball up half as much as he used to. He looks totally lost.

Calvert lewin has been anonymous for months. What is he doing other than not scoring? He hasn't been bullying defenders like he used to. He seems to have lost a bit of pace and he doesn't hold the ball up half as much as he used to. He looks totally lost.
I edited my post to say he hasn't been good but Beto looks very poor to me like I said I think sometimes he just doesn't look like he knows what he's doing its all very well saying give him a run of games but i'd like to see him look at least reasonably useful when he comes on to make a case for himself.

My argument would be Calvert lewin looks no different at the moment so what difference would it make? I suspect that in 20 games, beto would score more than 0. His confidence must be shot seeing that he can't get a game over a striker that is on an abysmal run of form.

It's a poor argument. DCL needs to score goals, yes. And I know it's tired, but he is working well for the team. Garner should have had a goal because of him.

The other guy can't control a slow pass to his feet and runs like bambi on ice.

The one thing I'll say again is that this is the first time that DCL and Beto were on the pitch at the same time and didn't get in each other's way. It's a start.

None of the stats or even the eye confirms this. If he had 7-8 goals, we'd be saying what an amazing season he's having and how different the squad looks with him as compared to the past two seasons.

He doesn't have 7-8 goals and we are where we are.

It's a poor argument. DCL needs to score goals, yes. And I know it's tired, but he is working well for the team. Garner should have had a goal because of him.

The other guy can't control a slow pass to his feet and runs like bambi on ice.

The one thing I'll say again is that this is the first time that DCL and Beto were on the pitch at the same time and didn't get in each other's way. It's a start.
I don't see that he is at the moment. His biggest strength was his effort and teamwork. That has tailed off massively in the last few months.

None of the stats or even the eye confirms this. If he had 7-8 goals, we'd be saying what an amazing season he's having and how different the squad looks with him as compared to the past two seasons.

He doesn't have 7-8 goals and we are where we are.
What stats? @GrandOldTeam shared a couple around being in the top 17% for retaining the ball/ not being dispossessed, but that doesn't account for the number of times that happens (I.e. If he only holds the ball up once per game, but never loses the ball). The stats are we are not scoring or creating chances from open play. While that is on every player, he is still part of the problem. He only has 1 assist this season.

Has Thelwell got a secret Italian lover? Because there is no way he was going to watch this guy at Udinese.

That said, I’d still start him at the minute.

Has Thelwell got a secret Italian lover? Because there is no way he was going to watch this guy at Udinese.

That said, I’d still start him at the minute.
Remember when Steve Walsh took his packed lunch in a briefcase and got everybody excited?

God I miss those halcyon days

steve-walsh-italy-june-2017.jpg

Sadly I could have found better for cheaper. I still think there’s something there just maybe not with us.
There is something there he’s not useless but him not being able to do the basics is a big issue for us we need for him to be able to control the ball and press from the front and he doesn’t look like he can. If he looked like a great finisher it wouldn’t matter as much but he doesn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back