2024/25 Beto

He has a different type of nuisance value as in he causes panic when he's up against a weak backline. So he's good at forcing errors and I think he'd grab 7-8 goals a season from nuisance value alone.

But he has some huge flaws in his game that can't be ignored.

If its between him and DCL currently, well Beto gets the nod as he's found the back of the net so the shirt should be his to lose.

Our options are Beto, who isn't very good. And DCL, who isn't very good.

Out of the two not very good options, one doesn't want to be here, and one is giving his absolute everything. Until we sign another striker, Beto should be starting every game ahead of DCL from this point onwards.

Couldn't agree more. We can all see he's limited, but he's working his socks off and looking fitter. I'd be starting him. And I'll add my name to those saying that he scores more goals than DCL across a season if playing the same number of games, even if he looks a lot clumsier while doing it.

He has a different type of nuisance value as in he causes panic when he's up against a weak backline. So he's good at forcing errors and I think he'd grab 7-8 goals a season from nuisance value alone.

But he has some huge flaws in his game that can't be ignored.

If its between him and DCL currently, well Beto gets the nod as he's found the back of the net so the shirt should be his to lose.
He could defo be our 'Woods' this season and do what Woods did for Forest. He has, as you say, that type of nuisance value.

I always feel that there's more to Beto than we've seen so far here. If he got a couple in a game or goals in successive games he might settle down into a more composed player and link up more with his team mates in and around the box rather than making hasty decisions to get shots off that really stand little chance of troubling any PL GK.

I must've went to a different Goodison Park last night.. :lol:

Had a better game than DCL has managed this season and never stopped. Got the best of their centre halves all night whilst getting nothing from the ref. Really good movement throughout and got his well deserved goal.

On this form, currently our best striker and I'm not even his biggest fan myself :lol:

Last edited:

He could defo be our 'Woods' this season and do what Woods did for Forest. He has, as you say, that type of nuisance value.

I always feel that there's more to Beto than we've seen so far here. If he got a couple in a game or goals in successive games he might settle down into a more composed player and link up more with his team mates in and around the box rather than making hasty decisions to get shots off that really stand little chance of troubling any PL GK.
Jep, also feel he hasn't reached the end of his potential, there have been good and bad things yesterday.

Knowing we are not creating chances after chances, we need better finishing. Wood has done that under Nuno and Dyche who are both defensive minded managers, reaching double figures in several seasons, pretty good option for bottom half teams.

So far this season he has been brought on with the team 3-0 down and dead on their feet, how do you expect any striker to make an impact.

Last night albeit against poor opposition he starts and scores, i dont think any player can be judged properly until they get a run of games in a team.
He's unpredictable and looks like a nightmare to play with and against, but after what DCL has been offering then i would be starting with Beto regardless of DCL still being here at the weekend.

So far this season he has been brought on with the team 3-0 down and dead on their feet, how do you expect any striker to make an impact.

Last night albeit against poor opposition he starts and scores, i dont think any player can be judged properly until they get a run of games in a team.
He's unpredictable and looks like a nightmare to play with and against, but after what DCL has been offering then i would be starting with Beto regardless of DCL still being here at the weekend.
Absolutely.

DCL might get the odd great goal, but overall Beto presents a greater physical presence for our attacking midfielders to benefit from. If Beto can learn to get his head up and bring others into the attack more often he can be a real asset this season.

Still think we need DCL out and another striker in though, tbh. It'd be a major disappointment to still have to choose from Beto and DCL.

I'm so glad he scored his goal last night, as he worked incredibly hard and held the ball up really well. However, his decision-making needs significant improvement. There were several occasions where a simple through ball was all that was needed, but instead, he chose to put his head down and attempt to dribble through their entire backline.

I love Beto and you can see what it means to him to score for this great club.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.