Big 4 monopoly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Andriy. I think we're a big club but unfortunately, Man Utd and the RS have sales and turnover that are far in excess of ours.

In saying that though, i think we should steer clear of comparing ourselves to much with these clubs. We have made great progress and for me, we should be setting our sights on becoming a regular top 6 club season after season in the prem and regular access to European competition. From there, a solid base is built where we are know throughout the world and who knows what can grow from that?

you are David Moyes are you, go on tell the truth(y)

does anyone else think the domination of the big 4 clubs might come to an end entirely in the recent future (and i don't mean just us replacing liverpool), i'm no expert on the finances of football, but they don't seem to be heading in the right direction. here's how i view the situation, feel free to correct any errors i might have made:

Chelsea: their success is pretty much entirely due to Roman Abramovic's personal financing of the club. I believe i'd read somewhere that they had a plan to become profitable again sometime within the next 8 or so years, but that plan was contingent on them winning the champions league atleast once, which is growing increasingly unlikely. it seems by the time Roman either kicks the bucket or just gets bored with the club, they'll be a financial wreck that no investor would want to touch. I think the main danger for Chelsea is that Roman tires of his "plaything" (like his last wife!!) and does one. Having started to alienate what was always a relatively small fan base (Arse, Spurs and West Ham are all historically "bigger" & better supported) any downturn before they really consolidate their Sky TV era, glory-hunter supporters could hurt them big time.

Liverpool: We all know about the redsh*tes financial woes so i'm not going to go into too much detail, but essentially if the current owners keep sucking them dry there's really no hope for them. Even if the DIC buys them out, i'm sure after a brief initial period of prosperity they too will begin leeching all of the clubs funds for their own profits (probably to keep funding their holy wars), i really don't see much future for them in the league. I think you're being over simplistic to suggest that Waldo & Stadtler are "sucking them (the rs) dry" and your racist views on DIC suggest the ignorance of a Sun reader....are you? I think a DIC takeover could easily see the rs become the world's biggest (God, I hate that term....and the 'kin thought of it...!) fottball club. Contrary to what you think, these are some of the cleverest, most far-sighted people in the world. They took a poor nation, whose wealth traditionally came from pearl fishing and trading, used the discovery of oil as a springboard, and have created one of the most imaginative beach resorts/playgrounds imaginable. Imagine what they'll do with this country's most successful football club, eh? Oh, and do yourself a favour and lose the jingoism; it's pathetic.

Manchester United: the glazers are out to make a profit, and while i don't know the details of it too well, as i understand it their finances are a mess. all of these american companies are out to turn a profit, which means rather than hanging on to an unprofitable endeavor, they'll have no problem taking what they can from it until they wash their hands of it completely and leave the club to pick up the slack. Clearly the Glazers are out for profit, and they're doing a great job of it actually! Their finances are definitely NOT a mess. What they did-very cleverly, and to the disgust of Utd fans- is swap personal debt, used to buy their way in, for corporate debt, secured on the club, and leaving them free to profit, sell up (their shares) and walk if & when it suits them. Brilliant, I'd say. I'd love to do that with a company. However, where we differ (I hope!) apart from not having the readies to do it! is that we wouldn't do it to our club; the difference being that for the Glazers it's just business....

from what i've read, arsenal aren't having any real financial troubles, i guess avoiding english players at all cost is working out well for them.
The Emirates stadium was a major gamble (by the way, David Dein was influenced by EFC's King's Dock plans, you know) but one the Ars seem to be winning. It meant a few years with little/no transfer cash, huge borrowing, but it's clearly the best stadium in England and makes them a fcukin fortune every match... They are laughing. I don't think anyone could have guessed that Leeds would be 8th place in league 1 today, back when they were in the Champions League semifinals in 2001. while these clubs may be seen as untouchable (save for the sh1te perhaps) today, who knows what the future would hold, and in 10 years time i wouldn't be too surprised to see 1 or 2 of these teams have their targets shift from qualifiying for the Champions League to promotion to the Championship.
I'd love it, LOVE it, if you were right, but I think the modern day greed-fest means that the top/Sky/"big"(yuk!) 4 get richer and stronger and the rest just hope and pray... Let's hope Moyes soldiers on, gets some success and Bill finds an Executive with vision to replace that phony Wyness....COYB!!!

I think Uniteds biggest problem is the fact that SAF is no spring chicken and the stress and strain could well start to show, what happens when he goes?

Moyes will leave and take Pienaar with him? b)

Good post by Nick though. Arsenal and Man Utd are pretty safe as they generate a lot of money themselves. Chelsea have improved this side of things an awful lot but they still lose money hand over fist each season.

The problem appears to be that the top four have been the top four for quite a few years now, and that consistent revenue has enabled them to borrow quite comfortably and grow accordingly. If the top four each season are changing regularly then it paints an altogether more uncertain picture financially.

Moyes will leave and take Pienaar with him? b)

Good post by Nick though. Arsenal and Man Utd are pretty safe as they generate a lot of money themselves. Chelsea have improved this side of things an awful lot but they still lose money hand over fist each season.

The problem appears to be that the top four have been the top four for quite a few years now, and that consistent revenue has enabled them to borrow quite comfortably and grow accordingly. If the top four each season are changing regularly then it paints an altogether more uncertain picture financially.

I wish you doom merchants would [Poor language removed] back to Kipper:P

It was a good post by Nick, and the next few years will be interesting

you are David Moyes are you, go on tell the truth(y)

No comment:unsure:

Just meant that i think we can get to hung up on comparing ourselves with the Big 3 or 4. Important thing is that we continue the good work on and off the field of the past 3-4 years or so which will give us a sound base to work from.

Since I've been supporting Everton (started in the late 90's), it's always been the Big Three to me. Liverpool have done nothing in the league and AC Milan lost the Champions League final, the [Poor language removed] didn't win it in that time.

Hell, if it's about spending money, well then put Newcastle up there.

When exactly is the recent future?

It's doing me 'ed in trying to work it out...

true i should have been more clear, i'm under no illusions that that these clubs will be battling relegation next year, but i think that its possible in about 10 years. While they've been successful in a while, i think examples like Leeds show us that even the unexpected is possible.

I'd love it, LOVE it, if you were right, but I think the modern day greed-fest means that the top/Sky/"big"(yuk!) 4 get richer and stronger and the rest just hope and pray... Let's hope Moyes soldiers on, gets some success and Bill finds an Executive with vision to replace that phony Wyness....COYB!!!

Nickk don't accuse me of being a jingoist, i'm sure i've spent more time working for anti-war efforts than you ever have. DIC are the investment arm of the Dubai government, the Dubai government's top priority believe it or not isn't going to be football, and considering the countries motivations in the region, if they ever want additional finances, they'll pull them from whatever assets they have, which includes liverpool fc. and besides, do you think the money the development of Dubai has brought in has actually gone to most of the people, along with westernization of technology they brought along the western ideal of the rich getting richer, don't kid yourself and act like they're some kind of saints, LFC would be a means to an end for them.

i'm not trying to get into a political debate here, so lets not drag the DIC's motivations part of this argument out, they're a business and they want to make money, whatever they'll use the money for is up to interpretation lets not be ridiculous about it.

i'm surprised someone would refer to liverpool as "this country's most successful football club", and a first time poster too nonetheless, koppite alert people?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back