Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Byram Bid Accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was brought in buy Gladbach because of his versatility. He can play on the right side of a defence as a CB (either in a two or three) or a right back. He's quick, reads the game well, likes to get up the pitch. That's from the few goes I've seen so far. If he couldn't do a job in this league at RB I'd eat my hat.

He's a very good player BUT totally different to Byram or indeed Coleman,Baines and Garbutt. He'd be a Stones,Galloway type in the sense that its a CB playing FB.

If we were to sign him then he'd basically compete with Stones for RCB and be edging out Holgate,Pennington and Browning.

With Holgate also playing RB as well as Kenny and signed for £££ He's also now got another body to get past.

Can see Kenny now off on loan as well as one of Pennington/Holgate till season end.

Thats good news and i think Martinez said we wouls know more on Monday (from what others have posted).

Ordinarily an uncapped (even at yourh level) right back wouldnt really be interesting when we have Coleman BUT over the past few years he's been really highly rated and i think if we sign him then the defence is almost complete...

LB -- Baines / Garbutt
LCB -- Jags /Mori / Galloway
RCB -- Stones / Holgate / Pennington /Browning
RB -- Coleman / Byram

Also we seem to have a couple of decent defenders coming through such as newly signed Foulds, 16 year old Feeney and Kenny as well.

Other than Jagielka and then Baines creeping up age wise we seem to have with Byram someone to tick all the boxes and add to the fantastc depth + we should see over the next two seasons how good some of these players are.

If Coleman is worth £15-20mil and Byram can dislodge him then i think for £3.7mil its a fantastic piece of business + if he becomes first choice for us he should be first choice for England too just by being better than Coleman.

One concern is that Kenny now has an extra body in the way to his progress -- what does this mean long term?
Personally think that given the demands of the league where even promoted teams have decent squads and our target of being in Europe in one form or another, we should be ideally be looking at having 3 players per position anyway to give us depth to cover injuries. Kenny is still only 18 as well.

Personally think that given the demands of the league where even promoted teams have decent squads and our target of being in Europe in one form or another, we should be ideally be looking at having 3 players per position anyway to give us depth to cover injuries. Kenny is still only 18 as well.

I remember you wrote something similar in the Man Utd thread when we were discussing squad depth.

The problem here of course is what player would be happy being 3rd choice and also the money spent on wages for 11 3rd choice players would be huge which could affect our ability to offer top salaries to the key performers.

If its a case of having a young player as 3rd choice then his development may be stunted and otherwise an older player may just sit on their wages which affects morale of course...

As it is we also dont have a "squad" with quality and would need 15+ new players to have 3 players depth.

Man Utd can afford it and also because they have champions league each season but i think we need to have a settled 2 players for each position and then players like Byram will see us as an upward move rather than perhaps gojng to spurs to sit on the bench and not get many games.

I remember you wrote something similar in the Man Utd thread when we were discussing squad depth.

The problem here of course is what player would be happy being 3rd choice and also the money spent on wages for 11 3rd choice players would be huge which could affect our ability to offer top salaries to the key performers.

If its a case of having a young player as 3rd choice then his development may be stunted and otherwise an older player may just sit on their wages which affects morale of course...

As it is we also dont have a "squad" with quality and would need 15+ new players to have 3 players depth.

Man Utd can afford it and also because they have champions league each season but i think we need to have a settled 2 players for each position and then players like Byram will see us as an upward move rather than perhaps gojng to spurs to sit on the bench and not get many games.
Agree it is an ideal but having under 21 players fulfill the 3rd role is a way of both keeping costs down, registered numbers within limits and also planning for the future. In a way having a deep squad is even more important if we are in Europa given the larger demand in both # games played and travel distances.

Think it particularly important in defence - this season we've had Coleman/Hibbert/Browning/Holgate all out at the same time at RB, Baines/Oviedo/Garbutt/Galloway at LB (thankfully was during an international break and Galloway recovered in time for the premier league and that is even before you consider our juggling around with CBs.

True but looking like the remaining main issue is the deal with the player - Phil Hay also tweeted that formal talks with him are being held on Sunday.

Still time for it all fall through of course but at least moving in a promising direction.
Just a question but why does it take until Sunday for talks to begin when the bid was accepted on Thursday, surely with such a highly coveted player we should be trying to wrap it up as quickly as possible

Just a question but why does it take until Sunday for talks to begin when the bid was accepted on Thursday, surely with such a highly coveted player we should be trying to wrap it up as quickly as possible
talks with representatives will have been going on for a while.

Leeds will have said you can talk to him on Sunday, due to their match being on Saturday, just incase.

I'm sure it'll be done by monday.

West Ham yet again sticking there nose in, is it me are they constantly stalking us for players we look at!

I'm always buying him on FIFA/FM to fill that RB slot. Guess I could do a job as a scout for Everton:coffee:

270.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back