CARABAO CUP DATES

Not sure why there is so much noise about this.

It is fairly easy. EFL desperately need the cash cow teams in the EFL cup. Teams that would like the cup to go away.

EFL sell their tv rights as a package. Championship, League One, League Two and EFL cup. Without EFL cup with all the PL teams, the tv rights outside of UK is pretty much worthless. EFL as we know it, won't exist without the EFL cup.

There are six teams that gets a minor advantage in a single match. A match they regardless will play a second string line-up. What is it, 15% chance that they will draw a fellow team that has qualified for Europe? Meaning each team will get an "easier draw" once every six year? Is that what people are mad about?

The alternative seems to be no more EFL cup and a lot less money distributed throughout the pyramid.
I don't see why the teams with the most money and the biggest squads should be given an extra advantage in a cup competition.

Especially when only 4 difference teams have won it in the last 11 years and these are all benefitting from the extra advantage.

but the disparity between the money for the champs farce clubs v the europa is so big that the europa is more of a hindrance and you have to have a bigger squad but dont have the extra cash to finance it sustainably
I don`t believe the Europa league is a hindrance to clubs, but I think its the stepping stone teams need to build towards being competitive in the CL. The conference league is another good step for clubs that have not played regularly in Europe to build with. I would think that there is room for another team or two from England to get places in the conference league as the stronger teams are in the league will bridge the gap of the 6.

I assume the “pre-draw” for the 6 Euro teams to determine if they’re at home or away has been done then? Can’t find any info on it. Who’s home / away out of that lot? Ta.

EDIT: so apparently they didn’t actually draw any teams out, but we do now know that 4 of the 6 are at home, 2 are away??
Not sure why they needed this to be done.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back