CARABAO CUP DATES

Is there appetite for the EFL cup outside of UK? Other than the final, do fans of these big clubs tune in at 3am to watch Man Utd - Rochdale? Surely not enough to be a cash cow?

The motion is also set that where does the tolerance stop? It was fine to accept a Club World Cup, expanded Champions League, but a League Cup tie is too far? It's the price of success as far as I'm concerned. That's why there's noise
And ultimately, it is a competition - it's meant to be competitive. While I get money talks, it is now essentially designed to aid a certain number of teams.

Is there appetite for the EFL cup outside of UK? Other than the final, do fans of these big clubs tune in at 3am to watch Man Utd - Rochdale? Surely not enough to be a cash cow?
I'd expect Man Utd - Rochdale to attract more viewers globally than the majority of Everton's matches.

And ultimately, it is a competition - it's meant to be competitive. While I get money talks, it is now essentially designed to aid a certain number of teams.

The fans don't care either. It's a privilege to them.

For perspective,
Swansea 2013
Leicester 2021
Wigan 2012
Leicester 2015
Birmingham City 2011

They're the last times a side outside of the top 6 won a trophy or league. To win the League cup for a side like Everton, Villa, Newcastle etc would be massive.

They are playing a dangerous game catering to the few and not the many.

I'd expect Man Utd - Rochdale to attract more viewers globally than the majority of Everton's matches.

Mostly likely correct.

But enough to give Man Utd whatever they want? Is there actually an appetite? Is the overseas marker really what the EFL need to target with the League Cup? Because for me, it's not important to local fans, until it gets close to the end, so the rights can't be going for much abroad.

League wise, absolutely, but 3rd tier competition? Can't see it.

For perspective,
Swansea 2013
Leicester 2021
Wigan 2012
Leicester 2015
Birmingham City 2011

They're the last times a side outside of the top 6 won a trophy or league. To win the League cup for a side like Everton, Villa, Newcastle etc would be massive.

Five occasions out of a total of thirty-nine major trophies available (not including the Charity Shield), so statistically they win close to 9 out of 10.

For perspective,
Swansea 2013
Leicester 2021
Wigan 2012
Leicester 2015
Birmingham City 2011

Top 6? When did Tottenham win something?

So let me get this straight, Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Villa, Spurs, United and Chelsea have their own pot and cannot be drawn against each other.

Honestly, why even bother. Corrupt from the onset just like everything else to do with football. Pretty much unwatchable across the board now.

Five occasions out of a total of thirty-nine major trophies available (not including the Charity Shield), so statistically they win close to 9 out of 10.
Even getting a final without one of the big 5 (Man City/Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal) is extremely rare. Only once since 1992 has there been a final without any of them 2008 Portsmouth Vs Cardiff

For the Carabao cup only once since 2004, when Swansea beat Bradford in 2013.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back