Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have won one league game by a +2 goal margin all season, against 10 man West Brom. Liverpool, Leicester and Brighton are the only teams we’ve beaten by more than one goal. It’s why our goal difference is the worst in the top half by a country mile.

We don’t have the players to outshoot teams. We can’t go full throttle against teams with players like Davies Gomes Siggurdson Coleman Keane. They can’t close gaps, we’d get completely overrun, which we do in lots of games even when we sit deep. Carlo has found a way to get some results but it’s not always been pretty. We could go completely the other way and end up like Southampton in a relegation battle trying to play a style of football we don’t have the players for.

Really incredible that we are too given how shoddy we've been this season. Extra perspective that we could be 8th going into the international break.

My concern is the performances which have not been good enough. Currently only Burnley, Palace, West Brom and Sheff Utd have had less shots per game than us - we're far too negative

Remember when BFS did this and it wasnt good enough for Everton but when it is CA he deserves the freedom of the city... Talk about star struck with a big name!

The very worrying thing for me is that the players still look like they’re being sent out there with the tactical instructions “you’re better at football than them, just beat them”. Well it’s been firmly established at this point that we’re not.
I’m sure Carlo knows most of this squad isn’t good enough to compete. But what’s he supposed to do. Make the best of it till the summer amd hopefully another 4 players can come in. And we start again.

It’s like what he said about Tom Davies the other day, something a long the lines off. He’s done well, improving and works hard. But technically limited. They weren’t his exact words. But not far off. So he’s admitting that Tom Davies, who played a lot the last 3/4 months isn’t technically good enough, so straight away it effects how he wants to play moving forward.

We don’t have the players to outshoot teams. We can’t go full throttle against teams with players like Davies Gomes Siggurdson Coleman Keane. They can’t close gaps, we’d get completely overrun, which we do in lots of games even when we sit deep. Carlo has found a way to get some results but it’s not always been pretty. We could go completely the other way and end up like Southampton in a relegation battle trying to play a style of football we don’t have the players for.

Last season we had the 7th most shots per game, this season it's the 16th most. We averaged 3 more per game last season. It's great that we've got more points and are further up the table but we need to be more positive and attacking - no reason why Burnley, Fulham, West Brom, Newcastle and Southampton etc are outplaying and creating more chances per game than us.

Just checking. Has he been sacked yet?

Yes mate, Moyes on his way back.

I’m telling you now he’s going to rejuvenate this team from top to bottom, Iwobi and Gomes are gonna be top, top players mark my words. Mason Holgate is gonna be flying down that right hand side pinging Baines-esque crosses into DCL & Richy. Goals galore coming from that once derelict right hand side.

If Ancelotti or the prospect of closing the gap for 4th place can’t motivate them only Davey can. I think we are looking at 3rd place easily now.

We can’t ‘outshoot’ West Brom, Sheffield United or Newcastle!?

This is absolutely mad to me. How do we not have the players to outshoot West Brom, Fulham, fn BURNLEY?

Yes mate, Moyes on his way back.

I’m telling you now he’s going to rejuvenate this team from top to bottom, Iwobi and Gomes are gonna be top, top players mark my words. Mason Holgate is gonna be flying down that right hand side pinging Baines-esque crosses into DCL & Richy. Goals galore coming from that once derelict right hand side.

If Ancelotti or the prospect of closing the gap for 4th place can’t motivate them only Davey can. I think we are looking at 3rd place easily now.

Obviously sarcastic but there is no way on this earth that Moyes would accept the total garbage we are seeing like Ancelotti is.....

Allan was out for 2 months, he’s been back for 1 month. If he isn’t fully fit by now then he clearly has an underlying fitness issue and so was a very questionable signing.

I’m not being funny but ‘if we have better players than everyone else then we’ll win more’ isn’t really a great argument. The manager has to work with what he’s got and get performances out of them. I simply cannot accept that our squad is so poor that we haven’t been able to outshoot a single opponent for 18 games and get completely overrun in midfield by people like kalvin Phillips, Harrison Reed and josh brownhill.
Allan's form was already on its way down in Naples. It really has continued this season, large variations in performance and relatively high injury frequency. At best a very good player, but as an investment object he involves great risk.

This is absolutely mad to me. How do we not have the players to outshoot West Brom, Fulham, fn BURNLEY?

Some of them have better faster fitter midfielders than we do. Davies Siggurdson Gomes are some of the worst in the league. Fulham have Ruben Loftus Cheek on their bench, he’d walk into our team. Shelvey and Longstaff would walk into our midfield. We massively overrate our own players and underrate other teams. These teams aren’t rubbish by any long shot, they are marginally worse than some of the other teams in this league. Most teams can match their pace and effort and then the quality tells. We can’t match any team’s pace as we are the slowest in the league so sometimes are quality isn’t enough sometimes it is.

Obviously sarcastic but there is no way on this earth that Moyes would accept the total garbage we are seeing like Ancelotti is.....

Of course he wouldn’t but what he do? Drop them all and play who? These players don’t care. That’s the problem. They can’t be motivated. Poor recruiting over the last few seasons has got us here. Moyes principality when signing a player was their attitude and work rate that was the foundations of the teams he built. What we have accumulated over the last few seasons is a load of individual ponies who can’t be motivated and give us 10% most games it’s ridiculous. We need a major clear out.

I would love to have poached one of Tielemans, Ruben Neves - or that quality - actually can't think of who I'd like from Arsenal or Spurs, maybe Partey...

In short, we need a top midfielder, wide attacker and right back - (still, 18 months after we needed them )

Tielemans, Ndidi, Neves etc all signed at young ages and well known highly rated players.

Weve got the premier league, Ancelotti, new stadium, a couple of 'star' quality names...we should be focusing on doing this ourselves this coming summer.

Weve had the Allan, James and Doucoure 'experienced' signings last year (which is fine), but we need to be constantly building.

Hopefully Ancelotti sees things the same way.

Some of them have better faster fitter midfielders than we do. Davies Siggurdson Gomes are some of the worst in the league. Fulham have Ruben Loftus Cheek on their bench, he’d walk into our team. Shelvey and Longstaff would walk into our midfield. We massively overrate our own players and underrate other teams. These teams aren’t rubbish by any long shot, they are marginally worse than some of the other teams in this league. Most teams can match their pace and effort and then the quality tells. We can’t match any team’s pace as we are the slowest in the league so sometimes are quality isn’t enough sometimes it is.
You call Marcel brands the architect on one hand and claim longstaff, Shelvey and loftus cheek would walk into our team ahead of any of the 5 central midfielders he’s bought for over £100m on the other. Makes perfect sense, if you ignore the fact that it doesn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back