Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he's a player you play in whatever position he thinks is his best position.

Mentality/confidence seems more of a factor with him than most.

His position isn't the main thing for me. The main thing is making sure he plays a role where he can get into the box in goalscoring positions as often as possible because his instinct in the box is his strength. That can still happen playing as an inside left forward if we have a control of the midfield.

Think he's a player you play in whatever position he thinks is his best position.

Mentality/confidence seems more of a factor with him than most.
Yeah I just mean in general he’s an all-round ‘forward’. Sure he can play wide in a front three or central or whatever, just need him to be getting into the area

I mean, he plays it just fine for Brazil.

We played 4-3-3 fine at the start of the season and Richarlison was great in that inside left role. Was getting into the box alongside Dom, had two assists (actually played a direct hand in 4 goals v WBA IIRC), but just wasn't getting the rub of the green with some chances/finishes (albeit he had still scored 4 times in all comps before the first international break).

A proper 4-3-3 shouldn't have your forwards - and that's what the 3 are - tracking back.

It's why you need a solid midfield of athletic players (but they obviously need ability on the ball) to cover that ground.

Look at Liverpool. Won a CL and a league based on rapid breaks with their midfield being all about energy and pressing.

We don't have to replicate that, but saying 'Richarlison doesn't fit' in a 4-3-3 is mad when it's probably the system a player like him is most suited to. A 4-3-3 doesn't have to be played with wingers and I'd argue unless you do it like Man City with two of your central midfielders running beyond the striker, then it rarely actually is played with actual wingers now.
We'd have to build a very specific team for it to work with Richarlison on the left and for me he's not really good enough to justify doing that. He's giving us below average creativity and link up play but superb ability to score. That can work but your RW has to run things like James does and your midfield and fullbacks have to be great. That's where we have issues. I think finding a more natural player for that role could be the better option, but obviously making it someone as good as Richarlison will be hard.

For me Richarlison should never really be wider than the width of the box. That isn't exactly how that position in a 4-3-3 is played and that's what concerns me.

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH MAN CITY FA CUP P/C

Big blow​

We have out the two goalkeepers, Olsen & Pickford. Gbamin is also out but he will start training next week. James, Doucoure & Delph also out
After the international break we have the chance to recover some players. James is one of these, maybe Gbamin.

Carlo on Keane​

I didn't speak to him about this, he's focused on tomorrow. It's a decision for the coach of the national team.
He's going to have two months to convince Southgate he is ready.

Quality​

No I'm not worried because Joao is young, a goalkeeper without experience, but he has a lot of quality. I am not worried for the absence of the two goalkeepers"

Carlo on Man City & Injuries​

I'm not complaining for the players that are not available. It will be a difficult game, but I don't think it's an easy game for Man City. They have better quality than us, but I'm sure they will have a difficult game
We can compete with a good spirit, with a good attitude on the pitch, a strong concentration defensively, try to use the set pieces where we are strong.
I think these kinds of games, we did really well. Where we missed out on points is with teams more at our level but the top teams, we did well all the time. I'm confident tomorrow will be the same

Carlo on FA CUP​

It's a knockout, a really important game. We have a big desire to go forward in this competition. I have confidence as usual, above all in this type of game. We are focused, we are concentrated.

More From Carlo on City​

Ancelotti says MCFC are fantastic in possession and especially in 1-on-1 situations but says it's important for EFC to battle "with a good spirit" and use set-piece opportunities where his side are strong
Ancelotti adds that his side have to "compete better" when they are without the ball against MCFC after EFC were in the game for an hour before the league defeat against City earlier this season. He describes tomorrow's game as "exciting and difficult

Very Important​

Carlo is asked if this is the most important game of his Everton career so far?
Typically Carlo smiles and concedes "Yes, this is really important. yes."

Carlo on Midfield​

Of course it will be important but I think we are well covered. We do not have Doucoure but if you watch the game against City, we didn't have Allan & Calvert-Lewin. I think we can play in a better level

Carlo on James​

He will be available for the game against Crystal Palace when the league restarts

Carlo on Mina​

His condition is really good, he is fit 100%. Tomorrow he will be available to play

Carlo on Doucoure​

He's recovering, he's doing only treatment. He's still in a boot and cannot touch the floor. At the moment, we cannot say when he will be back.

We're facing one of the best teams in the world with a half mangled squad and our keeper has just made his PL debut, Yeah no one is expecting anything tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back