Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
When everton do kick on and Carlo takes us up a level or two. Delete this thread. I'd delete it now. But for the sake of our reputation as a fan base we need this expelled from the Internet soon or later.

They are though. They’re expecting Davies Gomes and Siggurdson to ‘have a go’ and dismantle City in a fluid attacking style. There’s only one way for us to win tomorrow with the players we have out against theirs and every man and his dog knows it, and both of two of the best managers of all time know it also. If we try and do it though, there’ll be the same lot moaning on here that the football is the worst they’ve ever seen ever from any team ever in the history of football it’s making their eyes bleed, then they’ll just exhort Carlo Ancelotti to tell his midfielders to ‘have a go’ a bit more.
They're really not. Nobody expects us to win tomorrow, but yeah people will probably complain if we hardly leave our own half in a knockout game at home, so no doubt you can use that as further evidence that people want him sacked if it happens.

We'd have to build a very specific team for it to work with Richarlison on the left and for me he's not really good enough to justify doing that. He's giving us below average creativity and link up play but superb ability to score. That can work but your RW has to run things like James does and your midfield and fullbacks have to be great. That's where we have issues. I think finding a more natural player for that role could be the better option, but obviously making it someone as good as Richarlison will be hard.

For me Richarlison should never really be wider than the width of the box. That isn't exactly how that position in a 4-3-3 is played and that's what concerns me.

How do you mean?

You're not getting my point. Richarlison doesn't have to be out on the touchline. That's not what a modern 'wide forward' should do in a 4-3-3 for me.

It worked at the start of the season. If we can get those extra players in the summer (centre mid and right-back and a winger) then we've got two players for that 4-3-3 plus an extra player to rotate for the forward options.

If you've got your LCM running things down that side. carrying the ball upfield and also linking with Digne, and James or that other winger dropping in from that position on the right, then Richarlison can just focus on getting into the box.

They're really not. Nobody expects us to win tomorrow, but yeah people will probably complain if we hardly leave our own half in a knockout game at home, so no doubt you can use that as further evidence that people want him sacked if it happens.

We will leave our half though, we’ll probably even score, we’ll probably make a very decent game of it against a far better team even though we’re missing three of our best players. Then people will compare it to Allardyce, say the 17/18 team was better and we haven’t moved forward under Brands, but also say that the players are far better than Ancelotti has them playing, and that if he doesn’t finish higher than 8th we may as well have kept Koeman.

After that presser I've actually changed my prediction, before I had City winning easily

Everton 1 City 5

After that though I'm changing to

Everton 0 City 7

No way am I watching it, bad enough getting murdered. Probably watch the rugby followed by Brighton and the barcodes instead

Last edited:
We will leave our half though, we’ll probably even score, we’ll probably make a very decent game of it against a far better team even though we’re missing three of our best players. Then people will compare it to Allardyce, say the 17/18 team was better and we haven’t moved forward under Brands, but also say that the players are far better than Ancelotti has them playing, and that if he doesn’t finish higher than 8th we may as well have kept Koeman.
Ok, doesn't really tally up with what i've seen on here to be honest but fair enough. I don't expect us to get anything tomorrow, and i'd take us just making it competitive. Obviously when you don't win the games people expect you to win it increases the pressure to win more difficult games, so yeah i'm sure there'll be frustration when we inevitably lose, but that's just football really isn't it.

After that presser I've actually changed my prediction, before I had City winning easily

Everton 1 City 5

After that though I'm changing to

Everton 0 City 7

No way am I watching it, bad enough getting murdered. Probably watch the rugby followed by Brighton and the barcodes instead

My you are cheerful.

How do you mean?

You're not getting my point. Richarlison doesn't have to be out on the touchline. That's not what a modern 'wide forward' should do in a 4-3-3 for me.

It worked at the start of the season. If we can get those extra players in the summer (centre mid and right-back and a winger) then we've got two players for that 4-3-3 plus an extra player to rotate for the forward options.

If you've got your LCM running things down that side. carrying the ball upfield and also linking with Digne, and James or that other winger dropping in from that position on the right, then Richarlison can just focus on getting into the box.
What I mean is in a traditional 4-3-3 the winger is either creative or helpful at moving the ball up the field or both. Even if they're an inside forward they usually can do one of those things. Richarlison can't.

Now I don't think that is the end of the world as you lay out, there is a way to work with what he can do, but for me for that system to reach the very high levels he's got to be a big time goal threat and I'm not sure he can reach the figures I'm thinking he needs to. So for me it may not necessarily be worth building the system to suit him and then finding out he's not good enough for it.

What I mean is in a traditional 4-3-3 the winger is either creative or helpful at moving the ball up the field or both. Even if they're an inside forward they usually can do one of those things. Richarlison can't.

Now I don't think that is the end of the world as you lay out, there is a way to work with what he can do, but for me for that system to reach the very high levels he's got to be a big time goal threat and I'm not sure he can reach the figures I'm thinking he needs to. So for me it may not necessarily be worth building the system to suit him and then finding out he's not good enough for it.
Hmm, Richarlison is pretty good at running with the ball, but we don't want him getting it on the edge of our own box. See the Palace goal last year as the perfect example of where we want him picking up the ball, or how he sets up the James goal v West Brom this season.

But, I'm not asking us to play a 'traditional' 4-3-3. We would have James, and in an ideal world next season this creative, ball-carrier in the midfield, to do the creative stuff, and that added facet of Digne and a flying right-back.

It's certainly more suited to our team, and this league, than a diamond, but the bonus of buying better players means that we'll have more options - it's why a winger is so important, to give us another option too.

I don't just think a 4-3-3 suits Richarlison. It suits all of our best players.

Hmm, Richarlison is pretty good at running with the ball, but we don't want him getting it on the edge of our own box. See the Palace goal last year as the perfect example of where we want him picking up the ball, or how he sets up the James goal v West Brom this season.

But, I'm not asking us to play a 'traditional' 4-3-3. We would have James, and in an ideal world next season this creative, ball-carrier in the midfield, to do the creative stuff, and that added facet of Digne and a flying right-back.

It's certainly more suited to our team, and this league, than a diamond, but the bonus of buying better players means that we'll have more options - it's why a winger is so important, to give us another option too.

I don't just think a 4-3-3 suits Richarlison. It suits all of our best players.
The Palace game has been brought up before and it is just funny to me that we're hanging on to him running past Gary Cahill as our example of him doing it well. He's OK at best.

I think if James is your RW and Richarlison is the LW then in possession the concepts are the same as a diamond even if it sets up a little different. It becomes about out of possession and those questions are smaller if the midfield is good.

Interested to see how he sets up Saturday. Will he try and keep it tight or maybe go at City like United did? He will no doubt play mind games so the line up will be a guessing game. I hope James is on the bench at least.
I’m optimistic about the game against City. Ancelotti has plenty of experience playing these types of matches. And he also has a lot of experience in humiliating Guardiola.

The fact is we've been outplayed by WBA/Southampton and Burnley in a row, You can throw the performance to the back of your mind if you get the 3 points but when you don't it starts to become a slight problem because this isn't something that's just happened overnight we've been playing absolute mind numbing Football since the first derby back in October.
Yep. We’ve been playing awful for a long time now. However, I do believe in Ancelotti’s methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back