Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was fascinating how quickly some got over winning the derby. At Anfield. Like the very next game. That we won.

I use to always think the next manager to break that horrible record would get some serious leeway off the fans. We are having a decent season regardless of that derby win. But we won the two games after and people were on his back.
You’re absolutely right. In any other team, Ancelotti would be greatly appreciated. Beating the reds at Anfield is nothing more than the tip of the iceberg.

The Palace game has been brought up before and it is just funny to me that we're hanging on to him running past Gary Cahill as our example of him doing it well. He's OK at best.

I think if James is your RW and Richarlison is the LW then in possession the concepts are the same as a diamond even if it sets up a little different. It becomes about out of possession and those questions are smaller if the midfield is good.

He doesn't run past Gary Cahill. He drives down at goal and that's what we want him doing.

That goal he tees up for James v WBA is a good example of it.

Anyway, generally agree. It can turn into a diamond shape with the three-pronged attack plus the full-backs, but that's different to actually setting up in a diamond which I still think is incredibly easy for opposition teams to counter unless we just go all out attack like we did for that 5 mins v Utd in the second half.

We will leave our half though, we’ll probably even score, we’ll probably make a very decent game of it against a far better team even though we’re missing three of our best players. Then people will compare it to Allardyce, say the 17/18 team was better and we haven’t moved forward under Brands, but also say that the players are far better than Ancelotti has them playing, and that if he doesn’t finish higher than 8th we may as well have kept Koeman.
I dont think we are quite there yet. ancelloti is very shrewd. But also he is fortunate that his reputation buys him time. We are the ones that need to be patient, buy well a couple of windows at least and he will mould a good team in his image. He is flip flopping a bit at the minute depending on opposition but hes top drawer and we’ve got to stay patient.

We will defend with all thirteen players tomorrow and hope to score from a set piece.

It's actually not a bad idea...wonder if Pep would agree to us playing 13? Just like a school playground match.
For him, it's to make sure his players are not arrogant and complacent about the quadruple lol

I dont think we are quite there yet. ancelloti is very shrewd. But also he is fortunate that his reputation buys him time. We are the ones that need to be patient, buy well a couple of windows at least and he will mould a good team in his image. He is flip flopping a bit at the minute depending on opposition but hes top drawer and we’ve got to stay patient.

We really do have to stay patient - he's been here 1 year and a bit only, and that too a messed up year which has been harder on developing teams than established squads (and now I can think of 10 exceptions to that !)
but he has found out that his players cannot consistently respond to his methods, and I'm sure he'll be aware of all the same failings we can see, and 25 more issues which we will never see in our lives.

He doesn't run past Gary Cahill. He drives down at goal and that's what we want him doing.

That goal he tees up for James v WBA is a good example of it.

Anyway, generally agree. It can turn into a diamond shape with the three-pronged attack plus the full-backs, but that's different to actually setting up in a diamond which I still think is incredibly easy for opposition teams to counter unless we just go all out attack like we did for that 5 mins v Utd in the second half.

Richarlison is good at running off the ball, he’s actually the best player we have at making intelligent runs off the ball into dangerous areas. Running WITH the ball though, it’s a great big no.

We will leave our half though, we’ll probably even score, we’ll probably make a very decent game of it against a far better team even though we’re missing three of our best players. Then people will compare it to Allardyce, say the 17/18 team was better and we haven’t moved forward under Brands, but also say that the players are far better than Ancelotti has them playing, and that if he doesn’t finish higher than 8th we may as well have kept Koeman.
Haha nailed it.

So far since he's arrived we have signed 7 players. Branthwaite who was for the future last winter then in the summer 5 more 3 of which were Ancelotti's players Allan, James and Olsen, the other 2 Doucoure and Godfrey were Brands choices. Then we got King this winter who is a bit of a stop gap until we can reassess in the summer. Hopefully we will get 3/4 more signings with them having input from Ancelotti and he will get us challenging right up the top end. It was never realistic to expect top 4 this season its just Ancelotti is that good he got us believing. As it stands it is still even possible. We need to remember the chaos under Koeman and Silva or the God awful football under Allardyce to realise how far we have come that we are disappointed sitting 5 points off 4th/11 points off 2nd with a game in hand with 10 games to go.

Richarlison is good at running off the ball, he’s actually the best player we have at making intelligent runs off the ball into dangerous areas. Running WITH the ball though, it’s a great big no.

Yeah I'm not saying I want him doing it loads, and certainly not as our main player to do it.

But having him driving at the box every so often from the left, and then laying it off (to carry on his runs which he usually does well - as you say, he's good off the ball) or getting a shot away.

That's what he can offer from a wide position that he can't central, whereas I still think he can offer that penetration/off the shoulder runs whether he starts wide or central.

It's all really moot anyway because a 4-3-3 doesn't have to have wingers hugging the touchline, as long as the full-backs get forward well and the midfielders are athletic enough to cover the space.

So far since he's arrived we have signed 7 players. Branthwaite who was for the future last winter then in the summer 5 more 3 of which were Ancelotti's players Allan, James and Olsen, the other 2 Doucoure and Godfrey were Brands choices. Then we got King this winter who is a bit of a stop gap until we can reassess in the summer. Hopefully we will get 3/4 more signings with them having input from Ancelotti and he will get us challenging right up the top end. It was never realistic to expect top 4 this season its just Ancelotti is that good he got us believing. As it stands it is still even possible. We need to remember the chaos under Koeman and Silva or the God awful football under Allardyce to realise how far we have come that we are disappointed sitting 5 points off 4th/11 points off 2nd with a game in hand with 10 games to go.

Brands
Nkounkou, Branthwaite, Doucoure, Godfrey

Ancelotti
Allan, James, Olsen

Interesting...

You’re absolutely right. In any other team, Ancelotti would be greatly appreciated. Beating the reds at Anfield is nothing more than the tip of the iceberg.
Remember the mighty Reds lost against Brighton and Burnley. That takes the shine of the BIG victory doesnt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back