Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wants to play. It was the club's decision not to play him after the derby so that we can hopefully have him at 100% for the rest of the season.

It's crap, but it's what the trade off is with him unfortunately.

He's had injury issues and last season, hardly played. We shouldn't be totally reliant on him to create for us, should we - so that's on the manager.

The squad needs tons of work and the fact that we're so short is on the DoF who has been here 3 years.
Each summer he has the money to address two or three most pressing concerns whilst juggling g budget. He doesn’t address all the concerns because we just don’t have the money.

Each summer he has the money to address two or three most pressing concerns whilst juggling g budget. He doesn’t address all the concerns because we just don’t have the money.

That's fine, but he's also added to those concerns and, whisper it quietly, hasn't actually 'shifted' most of the deadwood.

We've ended up with Bolasie here for his entire deal, paying some of his wages.

We've still got Besic.

We've still got Tosun, with another year left. We're paying Walcott £50-60k a week to play for S'ton. We couldn't get Niasse *anywhere*.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Not saying he hasn't had hard work to do, but he's not exactly succeeded at it.

Hopefully now the majority of those players have gone, it's a case of getting some money back for Bernard, Iwobi and Delph (the latter probably not possible - but all Brands' signings remember) and looking to push on.

We shouldn't be having to name 5 kids/2 GKs on most of our benches, regardless of injuries, with the money spent. That's an awful reflection on the squad build, it really is.

That's fine, but he's also added to those concerns and, whisper it quietly, hasn't actually 'shifted' most of the deadwood.

We've still got Besic.

We've still got Tosun, with another year left. We're paying Walcott £50-60k a week to play for S'ton. We couldn't get Niasse *anywhere*.

Hopefully now the majority of those players have gone, it's a case of getting some money back for Bernard, Iwobi and Delph (the latter probably not possible - but all Brands' signings remember) and looking to push on.

We shouldn't be having to name 5 kids/2 GKs on most of our benches, regardless of injuries, with the money spent. That's an awful reflection on the squad build, it really is.

Hardly on Ancelotti is it?

We've still got Besic.

Most of the aforementioned were unshiftable.
I can’t see what anyone could have done. If a player signs a lucrative contract, it’s the clubs problem.
Koeman was an awful fit for us and we haven’t recovered from him and Walsh yet.
The investment is lost.
We’re effectively starting back at that level and writing it all off.

Hardly on Ancelotti is it?
Sorry mate, was talking about - or replying to a post about - the DoF.

Aware this is the Carlo thread ;)

All that I think Carlo should be doing better is getting in place something akin to an attacking structure.

Not necessarily for games like last night, there's only so much you can do against that City team, but with all the money spent we should be better at that.

I'm also aware better players will help, though.

Most of the aforementioned were unshiftable.
I can’t see what anyone could have done. If a player signs a lucrative contract, it’s the clubs problem.
Koeman was an awful fit for us and we haven’t recovered from him and Walsh yet.
The investment is lost.
We’re effectively starting back at that level and writing it all off.

Brands has piled on

Bernard (120k a week)
Delph - £8m, probably £80k a week at least
Iwobi - £28m (probably £70/80k a week)
Lossl - what a waste he was of reportedly 30k per-week, it all adds up

Then you've got players who have done okay for us or even well for us but are on very big wages
Gomes (100k a week) - injury hasn't helped
Mina (similar)

Kean on big wages, but at least we should recoup a fee, so that's good. Was he ever the right signing for what we needed though? There's been reliable reports that Silva wanted a more experienced player in that position, not Kean, to compete with Dom.

Then you look at our really, truly, good additions under him.

- Godfrey, excellent buy so far, great stuff
- Digne, see above
- Richarlison, great buy, but let's face it, it's Silva who wanted him
- Doucoure - see above, and Brands kept on plugging away which is obviously a good thing
- James - here because of Carlo
- Allan - here because of Carlo

Then you've got the fact that we've been left short in areas such as right-back and right wing which have been areas of clear need for 2 years now.

We have come out of two QFs this year lamenting that our squad has been a state going into the games and other teams have had quality to bring off the bench. Well, ultimately, that's been Brands' remit.

Carlo's remit is to get us points and competing with what he has available and by and large I think we can all be happy so far. Doesn't mean he gets a clean bill when he cocks up like, which some seem to insist on, or that we shouldn't be a tad concerned that we are so toothless.

It's a boiling pot of issues atm.

Sorry mate, was talking about - or replying to a post about - the DoF.

Aware this is the Carlo thread ;)

All that I think Carlo should be doing better is getting in place something akin to an attacking structure.

Not necessarily for games like last night, there's only so much you can do against that City team, but with all the money spent we should be better at that.

I'm also aware better players will help, though.
I think we all agree we should be better given the money we have spent. But the reality is that it’s players not money that win things and our investment a few years ago was terrible. Notwithstanding the money spent, the squad is not good enough.

Brands has made some mistakes, granted, but he’s had a lot of success as well.
It’s probably been exacerbated because they are both midfielders, coupled with the problems Gbamin has had.

Having said all that, I think we were only a right back and right winger short of achieving top four.

I think we all agree we should be better given the money we have spent. But the reality is that it’s players not money that win things and our investment a few years ago was terrible. Notwithstanding the money spent, the squad is not good enough.

Brands has made some mistakes, granted, but he’s had a lot of success as well.
It’s probably been exacerbated because they are both midfielders, coupled with the problems Gbamin has had.

Having said all that, I think we were only a right back and right winger short of achieving top four.
I agree

But we're 3 years into the DoF's tenure and we've still got a crap squad.

In 2018, we'd all have expected us to be better off in terms of the squad.

Again, I'd argue only two of Brands' 100% successes (when you take into accounts wages and fees paid) are here because his recruitment department identified them.

We wanted Doucoure in 2018 and then 2019 under Silva. We definitely got Richarlison because of Silva. We 100% wouldn't have gone for James or Allan if not for Ancelotti.

I know it's not Brands' only job. He's done a lot, restructuring the academy and scouting department etc, but we're 3 years into the 'project' and it's been nearly as much a mess as what came before tbh.

It's not really right that we've come out of our two biggest games of the season in terms of actually maybe pushing on to win a trophy, lamenting that our squad isn't good enough. Someone is ultimately responsible for that.

Just give the fella someone else who can add energy to our midfield, an actual right back who is competent and another wide option of there is still money leftover.

None of them have to be world beaters, just premier league standard and Ancelotti will have us pushing the top 4 ad looking to go deep in the cups for as long as he’s here.

I’m more likely to judge after the Palace game now and how we finish the season.

I’m not having that the squad we have is completely awful.

we have some absolute dross, but with Pickford, Keane, Godfrey, Mina, Digne, Holgate, Allan, JRod, DCL and Richy, there should be enough quality there to get something out of the team when these are all fit. We are only really missing Doucoure from it being a full strength side after the break.
Gomes, Gylfi, Davies, Iwobi are all players who can be very hit or miss.

Brands has piled on

Bernard (120k a week)

Then you've got players who have done okay for us or even well for us but are on very big wages
Mina (similar)

Kean on big wages, but at least we should recoup a fee, so that's good. Was he ever the right signing for what we needed though? There's been reliable reports that Silva wanted a more experienced player in that position, not Kean, to compete with Dom.

- Digne, see above
- Doucoure - see above, and Brands kept on plugging away which is obviously a good thing

Then you've got the fact that we've been left short in areas such as right-back and right wing which have been areas of clear need for 2 years now.

We have come out of two QFs this year lamenting that our squad has been a state going into the games and other teams have had quality to bring off the bench. Well, ultimately, that's been Brands' remit.

Carlo's remit is to get us points and competing with what he has available and by and large I think we can all be happy so far. Doesn't mean he gets a clean bill when he cocks up like, which some seem to insist on, or that we shouldn't be a tad concerned that we are so toothless.

It is a boiling pot of issues and I agree with what you have said above.
Delph was a punt that has been disastrous. Bernard and Iwobi don’t fit, but I think they could both be sold and recover some outlay.
Lossl was a reserve keeper on a free and he has moved on. I’m not bothered by that one.
The other enigma is Kean. If he had stayed this season he would have played I think, but at least we should turn a profit when he is sold. That whole deal feels like murky football agent subterfuge to me.
Brands has made mistakes, but nothing like the level of Walsh.
I think it will I’m be 2022 before our transfer policy starts to resemble normality.

Brands has piled on

Bernard (120k a week)

Mina (similar)

- Digne, see above

Look at the crap Brands has got rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back