Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a clue personally, but doesn't this suggest that it might actually be quite difficult to get rid of players as abysmal and expensive as Bolasie on permanent deals?

Are there examples from other clubs we can use to show that actually it is reasonable to expect that we should have got a player as finished as Bolasie completely off the books on 80k a week? If this is standard fare for a DoF, then fair enough, but I've always been of the impression that our business had been so spectacularly bad before Brands showed up that it might actually not be easy to convince clubs to take on 80k a week for Yannick Bolasie or Cenk Tosun (something I believe we nearly did, before we got injured?).

Of course it does.

But it's his job...

So, when people start saying 'look at what he's gotten rid of' - he actually hasn't got rid of them. Which is kind of the point.

I get more about why Ancelotti set us up last night that than the griping about our performances but both are valid imo. We cannot go head to head with City. We have nowhere near the squad or first team players to even go at their bench. If you took their bench and put them on the pitch, that 9 would almost certainly still beat our 11 if we went at them.

That being said, we don't create almost anything. We haven't for about half a season now. Last night was another continuation but, again, it's City so you can make the "excuse" that it was ok all things being equal.

Someone mentioned we don't have attacking patterns of play on twitter last night not sure that's true I think it's more the players can't, won't or aren't able to implement them. When we had our best side out there at the start of the season we had patterns of play our issue is mostly our squad and our pace lack of pace and creativity. I do think Carlo needs to find a balance between defence and attack and to be able to produce a team who are able to sustain more controlled possession especially against teams below us at a home but the big caveat is we don't have enough runners, playmakers or players with pace in our team right now James and Doucoure being out highlights it more. If we address all of that and still can't beat Fulham and Burnley at home then he has questions to answer. As it is we have to be patient. He has got quite a bit out of this squad with tactical set ups.

No but you'd swap Soucek and Linegard for Gomes and Iwobi wouldn't you?
I guarantee if we’d signed lingard in January this place would have gone into meltdown and everybody would have said he was no better than what we had. Now suddenly he’s the reincarnation of Puskas and richarlison and DCL are basically John Spencer and Tommy Johnson.

I guarantee if we’d signed lingard in January this place would have gone into meltdown and everybody would have said he was no better than what we had. Now suddenly he’s the reincarnation of Puskas and richarlison and DCL are basically John Spencer and Tommy Johnson.
Maybe but he's still a winger with genuine pace and creativity he wouldn't be my first choice but better than playing Iwobi who is a square peg in a round hole. Our issue is lack of creativity(especially without James), pace and balance. We have a very weak right hand side no right back who can put a ball in no right winger who can create, lack of a mobile midfielder who can carry the ball bar Doucoure who isn't being used in that role. West ham are balanced functional and with bits of quality that's why they are above us.

I think the point we all understand is that these players are a barrier to progress. They draw a salary and offer nothing. They have prevented Brands and the club from moving on. FFP has been an issue for us, although in the current climate, it seems to have gone away. lt has definitely limited what Moshiri could do though.

Defences and forward lines function better with a competent midfield. We don’t have one. We have a better defence and forward line than West Ham but their midfield is miles ahead of ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back