Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_20210322_231024_com.twitter.android.webp
This should put things into perspective. Wish people would stop over hyping this squad, it has its moments yes and potential but Carlo needs time and good recruitment from Brands.

View attachment 121949This should put things into perspective. Wish people would stop over hyping this squad, it has its moments yes and potential but Carlo needs time and good recruitment from Brands.

The midfielders sat on the bench that came on and changed the game probably cost a bit more though.

Can’t argue with it though, Siggurdson is the biggest waste of money in our history, close to 50 mill for a bloke who can’t run.

Regardless, recruitment needs to be better.

True, our luck also needs to be better with injuries. Too many players join us and then get severely injured immediately. Gbamin Gomes Bolasie just in recent seasons. They were our main buys in those windows and the countless issues we’ve had in midfield and outwide may not have happened if these players hadn’t been utterly destroyed.

Yes poor recruitment has been one problem, undoubtedly, but we did everything right with Gueye, got him in cheap, developed him up, sold him at the peak of his value then reinvested the money in two younger midfielders both of whom got injured straight away. Then we had to buy Allan and Docuoure to cover those injuries and they’ve taken turns in the treatment room.

It’s a plague on the club and I honestly don’t know how we free ourselves from it. It’s costing us 100s of millions and is getting manager after manager fired, and player after player ruined.

Besic McCarthy Oviedo, Mangala Tosun Bolasie Gomes Gbamin Coleman. We’ve all at one point called most of these rubbish for one reason or another but Coleman aside they all had their career with us destroyed by injury. Imagine what our recent future may have been like if all these players hadn’t suffered career debilitating injuries that they never returned properly from. Martinez Koeman and Silva may not have even been fired.

True, our luck also needs to be better with injuries. Too many players join us and then get severely injured immediately. Gbamin Gomes Bolasie just in recent seasons. They were our main buys in those windows and the countless issues we’ve had in midfield and outwide may not have happened if these players hadn’t been utterly destroyed.

Yes poor recruitment has been one problem, undoubtedly, but we did everything right with Gueye, got him in cheap, developed him up, sold him at the peak of his value then reinvested the money in two younger midfielders both of whom got injured straight away. Then we had to buy Allan and Docuoure to cover those injuries and they’ve taken turns in the treatment room.

It’s a plague on the club and I honestly don’t know how we free ourselves from it. It’s costing us 100s of millions and is getting manager after manager fired, and player after player ruined.

Besic McCarthy Oviedo, Mangala Tosun Bolasie Gomes Gbamin Coleman. We’ve all at one point called most of these rubbish for one reason or another but Coleman aside they all had their career with us destroyed by injury. Imagine what our recent future may have been like if all these players hadn’t suffered career debilitating injuries that they never returned properly from. Martinez Koeman and Silva may not have even been fired.
We have been unlucky with injuries. It's not just the quality of players we buy it's the attributes Sig, Bernard, Gomes all too slow for this league, we need dynamic, pacey, players with physicality. More Doucoure's and Richarlisons less Iwobi's and Bernards.

We have been unlucky with injuries. It's not just the quality of players we buy it's the attributes Sig, Bernard, Gomes all too slow for this league, we need dynamic, pacey, players with physicality. More Doucoure's and Richarlisons less Iwobi's and Bernards.
Rodgers said he looks for players with hunger when recruiting. I honestly think that's where we go wrong.

The thing is Carlo has come out and said Doucoure wasn't his choice whilst James and Allan certainly were. Ancelotti doesn't prioritize athletic players. I think our two best signings have been Godfrey and Doucoure precisely because they add athleticism.

The thing is Carlo has come out and said Doucoure wasn't his choice whilst James and Allan certainly were. Ancelotti doesn't prioritize athletic players. I think our two best signings have been Godfrey and Doucoure precisely because they add athleticism.

James and Allan are great short term signings.

Doucoure is a great mid-long term signing

Branthwaite and Nkounkou appear to be great long term signings

Godfrey is incredible.

View attachment 121949This should put things into perspective. Wish people would stop over hyping this squad, it has its moments yes and potential but Carlo needs time and good recruitment from Brands.
It’s a little bit of a false measure - Fernandinho joined for £34m in 2013 which was a massive amount of cash then. Bernardo silva went for £50m rising to £70m (I can’t believe he hasn’t triggered some of them) and gundogan was in the final year of his contract.

Not to dispute the recruitment argument but I don’t think it’s quite comparing apples with apples

It’s a little bit of a false measure - Fernandinho joined for £34m in 2013 which was a massive amount of cash then. Bernardo silva went for £50m rising to £70m (I can’t believe he hasn’t triggered some of them) and gundogan was in the final year of his contract.

Not to dispute the recruitment argument but I don’t think it’s quite comparing apples with apples
Wed never get those players either. That's not that point I was getting at with it. Look what we've blown since 2013. Really bad recruitment all round although some gems have been had too just not many. Needs improving, Carlo needs backing. Would like to see 80m given to Carlo this summer then whatever from sales.

They also brought on Rodri 63m, KDB 55m and Mahrez 60m and we brought on, erm Iwobi 27m.

They also brought on Rodri 63m, KDB 55m and Mahrez 60m and we brought on, erm Iwobi 27m.
Think that just further highlights my point. Recruitment needs to be better or we'll never be able to bring a KdB from the bench. I back Carlo to get us there but only if the board and Brands back him.

Wed never get those players either. That's not that point I was getting at with it. Look what we've blown since 2013. Really bad recruitment all round although some gems have been had too just not many. Needs improving, Carlo needs backing. Would like to see 80m given to Carlo this summer then whatever from sales.
Huge, huge sums have been wasted, massive, on a grand scale.

80m is a lot of money for a club sailing close to the FFP wind, with massive loses incurred to Covid, but, I think its within the budget, depends really.

Is FFP no more? Its gonna be a while till most clubs recover from this current mess.

No doubt The Mosh has some magic up his sleeve cos he will want to give Carlo* as much money as possible.

*Brands.

Huge, huge sums have been wasted, massive, on a grand scale.

80m is a lot of money for a club sailing close to the FFP wind, with massive loses incurred to Covid, but, I think its within the budget, depends really.

Is FFP no more? Its gonna be a while till most clubs recover from this current mess.

No doubt The Mosh has some magic up his sleeve cos he will want to give Carlo* as much money as possible.

*Brands.
Since Martinez really, we've been hemorrhaging wages and transfer fees on mid table rubbish.

Hope you're right on the magic* mate.

I think 60-80m could be doable before sales. Let's see. Perhaps we'll get the higher end of those figures if Carlo gets us 5th or 6th spot. Also think we could hazard a guess at having maybe another 30-50m from sales if we're lucky. That's anywhere from 90-130m available after sales. If that happens I'd say we could be sitting pretty next season with the right recruitment and Carlo at the reigns.

Over to you Brands.

I agree about the recruitment- how we can spend the amount we have and still have glaring holes in the side is poor. Wish you were right about the transfer funds in the summer but I’ll be amazed it’ll be anything other than whatever we can generate through sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back