Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impossible job with that bunch or players. Iv switched off already this season and look forward to the summer when most of the dross is gone and he makes big changes to our squad

The problem we have is nobody is going to pay for our dross. Tosun the crock will be back recovering from his injury, will be hanging around like a bad stench again come October/November time then who’s gonna wanna pay money for him with one year left on his deal? Iwobi nobody gonna pay anything for him, Sigurdsson sounds like he’s getting a new deal, Gomes potentially could be sold, Davies nope, Pickford nope.

If we are on another major sell to buy policy this summer we are pretty much screwed unless we get a big offer for Richy or can move the likes of Holgate or Mina (massive crock so doubtful) on.

I'm a Moyes fan - although and I'm genuinely pleased for him at West Ham. Hope he keeps Liverpool out of the top 4!
But honestly - I'd want Carlo over him every day, because I believe the ceiling is way higher with him in charge.
Kind of a combination of the two, though Moyes appears to be crashing through the ceiling at this moment in time. In an ideal world Moyes would be the man to get us to the ceiling then Carlo puts the shine on when we get there
Unfortunately I’m not sure Carlo is the man to build a team. Is there any evidence from his past life that he has done this?
Managers are suited to scenarios. If you’re struggling at the bottom, give Sam a call. If you want to build something, Moyes is the man. If you want someone to manage superstars and massage their ego’s that man is probably Carlo.

people are saying roll on the summer and carlo can get his own players in and get rid of the dross but the way i see if we dont get europe its going to be even harder to attract the type of player we need and its going to get even harder to hold on to our better players who are desperate for european football, richarlison. digne, mina, james and even calvert lewin will only hang about for so long. big summer ahead again for carlo and everton, seem to say that every year.

Really do feel our fans are impossible to please. It doesn't matter who is in charge or what style we play, whenever we have a few bad results, the knives are our for the manager. Some of our fans just don't seem to have learned anything from the past and are so short-term in their mindsets that it's unbelievable.

Every period of success we've had post war has come from having a manager who was given a good bit of time to get a squad together and get things the way they liked. How many people would have kept Howard Kendall in charge in 1983, I wonder?

As it is - we keep chasing managers away (I'm not saying I've wanted to keep every manager we've sacked, just for clarity):

Moyes - "took us as far as he could" - most were happy to see once he left
Martinez - too soft. The football was lovely but we threw games away and couldn't defend. Results mattered more than style! GET OUT!
Koeman - Decent footy in patches but no real identity or plan - and started losing games. Results mattered most. GET OUT!
Allardyce - Terrible footy but results were a bit better. But style mattered more than results. GET OUT!
Silva - too soft. The football was decent but we threw games away and couldnt defend. Results mattered more than style! GET OUT!
Ancelotti - Terrible footy but results a bit better. But style matters more than results. GET OUT!

It's laughable really.

The thing I'm most concerned with - over and above short term results - is can I see a long term vision and plan. I felt like I could with Moyes - and results were good enough to keep faith with it.
I also felt like I could with Martinez - but results were too poor for way too long.

Then came the Koeman/Allardyce bit where we were listless and massively damaged ourselves with no real vision or plan, blowing wads of cash on players that didn't fit. 2017-18 set us on a path that would take 2-3 years to fix.

Silva I could see a bit more of a plan again but I was not quite convinced by him and the and again like Martinez, results were poor for a significantly long enough time that the plan became undermined.

Ancelotti? I think we can all see the plan - but it's one we've got to be patient with. He wants to build a very solid defence, he wants to add world class technicians, and he wants to build around some quality young attacking players. Ultimately we will play more attacking football than we are now.
Key thing for me too - the players clearly love Carlo and are right behind him. They talk about him in such a glowing way that none of our last few managers have been talked about. They're united behind him and they trust him. That's massive.

But let's face it, we just haven't got a coherent and consistent midfield.
Liverpool's awful run of form - whilst everyone blames Van Dijk's absence, was much more about the midfield. Before Van Dijk arrived, Liverpool scored goals for fun but couldn't defend. You'd expect the same to happen when they lost their centre backs. But instead, they stopped scoring as well as starting to concede. Why? Because their two best midfielders ended up at centre back or being injured. The front three lost their key lines of supply. They still haven't got their CBs back but they're starting to look better now Fabinho is suddenly back in the middle.

It's similar for us. At our best this season, we had Allan, Doucoure and Rodriguez all on the pitch and going forward we clicked. Take one of them out and there's an instant drop off. Take two of them out and we're an absolute shadow of what we could be. This summer I think we really need another boss CM.

Anyway...progress with the plan has been heavily undermined by lots of niggly injuries and the fact we're still processing out the players who were so poorly recruited in that awful 2017-18 period. But the crucial thing is this for me - whilst it's not all gelling just yet, results haven't been awful. We're in no danger of relegation (unlike certain periods under Martinez/Koeman/Silva), we find ways to win games and pinch points even when we're not at our best, we compete in games against the best teams, and we're still even in with a shout of Europe. Yes - there have been some shockingly poor results - but they've then often been followed up with good results we'd not expect.
Can you imagine where we'd be right now, with these injuries, if Silva or Koeman was in charge? With them you felt like a 6-10 game losing streak was definitely a risk. With Carlo, you know that your next win is round the corner as he finds a way.

We've just got to trust Carlo here. Accept that it's not all how we want it yet, and make sure we don't hound out a guy who actually genuinely knows what he's doing, has a clear vision, and who - crucially for me - the players are absolutely unanimously behind for once.

Those who don't like the footy. I get it - but please...PLEASE - be careful what you wish for. If we chase away Carlo flipping Ancelotti then to be honest we deserve EVERYTHING bad that will happen to us as a result.
All that matters is that besides Moyes nobody has pushed us into the top four.

Doesn't matter how we play, doesn't matter how many injuries we have, if we get results and end top 4 nobody will care and nobody will be wanting the managers' head.

people are saying roll on the summer and carlo can get his own players in and get rid of the dross but the way i see if we dont get europe its going to be even harder to attract the type of player we need and its going to get even harder to hold on to our better players who are desperate for european football, richarlison. digne, mina, james and even calvert lewin will only hang about for so long. big summer ahead again for carlo and everton, seem to say that every year.

Do they want European football though? But for 4/5 games this season their effort in general has been appalling especially from the likes of Richarlison who was non existent for the first half of the season and only showed his head in January, had his little goal scoring spell of 5 games and gone off the radar again. Same with a few of the other senior players.

Haha stop it. You are being trashed around and is like a punch drunk boxer still standing there spewing nonsense. Bashing him for 'possibly' not getting Europe. (Which we still can) but then getting called out about your hypocrisy then saying 'oh i knew we wouldn't get Europe i just thought we would fail at it by passing it about better with good football'

I'd ask one of your minions to throw in the towel for you but they either are banned or asked to be deleted.
Did Carlo Ancelotti not say the objective for the season is European football?

Do YOU think we will get European football?

Until we finish in the top 4 we will continue to say exactly that.

I mean whether you liked him or not, they booed Morgan Schneiderlin in the warm up, if that’s not Toxic, what is?

But fantastic post, and completely agree.

The Everton crowd are not toxic. The Goodison results this year should be the end of that silly argument about the crowd.

I partly blame this perception on social media because it gives the completely the wrong view of things. I don't use twitter anymore because it couldn't be any further away from real life and it attracts the extreme viewpoints. Well over 90% of our support are completely behind the manager and are happy to be patient with the manager. That doesn't mean we are happy with the players and performances because I certainly am not. But what is the alternative right now?

There are elements of our support who still don't seem to understand that the problems lie mainly with our squad. They hugely overrate our players, even some of our better ones. Until the squad is more or less overhauled, we will continue to get woeful results. Yes any team will struggle with around 10 senior players out, but we have a squad which currently struggles with 2 or 3 out. You should have a squad built for the scenario of having a couple of players out at all times because that's what is likely to happen. We have been extremely unlucky in the last few months but we didn't prepare a squad for a long season.

I don't agree with booing anyone before they even set foot on the pitch but there's a lot of context with Schneiderlein and a series of utterly appalling performances where his effort was dreadful.

I see that but I think Carlo is a massive draw. We attracted quality players last summer and if Moshiri (Usmanov) is willing to pay them then we can improve for sure

Very few I'd say, we need a higher quality bench, that's for sure, instead of the average bunch we've had to rely on. Not an overnight solution unfortunately.
Those players have, between them, missed around 70 or so of our league games this season. It's widely reported that our injury situation is comparable with Liverpool's, and we've seen how they've slumped from seemingly unbeatable last season to struggling to make the top 4 this season. It's not an excuse, but it certainly doesn't help.

I mean whether you liked him or not, they booed Morgan Schneiderlin in the warm up, if that’s not Toxic, what is?

But fantastic post, and completely agree.

Because he bloody deserved it.

It's not toxic; it's expecting certain standards.

The players have shown this season that the fans don't make one jot of difference to their performance if they're left alone to just play. If anything, all the evidence now is the fans giving the players a kick up the arse is actually what they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back