Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
We finished 12th last season, 8th, 7th a few times, and a few 11ths.

Its not like we have even been close to challenging since Bobby Dazzler in 2014 and it was 2005 before we even achieved our goals.

Yet people expect Ancelotti to turn us into a top-level club in 18months.

Sure, mention West Ham, just like people mentioned Wolves and last season Sheffield United, rubbish teams sometimes overachieve, currently we are probably achieving what we are, no more, no less.

Carlo Ancelotti knows what it takes to win trophies and he will be making sure we get the tools in place to do that in the Summer.

So those that want him out, those that are starting to turn, give him time, cos unless you are terminally ill, time is something we all have.

Or stamp your feet and say I want it now, like you have for the last 30 years.

:hayee:
I've said this a thousand times now but I expect progress. The progress I was told was in the results. So now where are we at with that?

I don't want it now, but I do want to be able to see how it might be when it does happen.

But that's just it.

Its very easy to beat rubbish teams, yes we have struggled, but its an easier fix than beating good sides, something we have managed quite well.

Im on record mate as saying he deserves next season to see what he can do and I really hope he's backed financially to the hilt in the summer - im just not 100% sold on him based on results/performances this season compared to others who largely base that support on his track record at other clubs much different to ourselves.

Good summer window and fans back at GP and maybe he'll get it right and gets us back into Europe - if he does I'll have no complaints but im on the fence at this stage.

We are lucky to have Carlo dont get me wrong but if FFP goes or gets relaxed to encourage the wealthy clubs to spend and get the football economy moving then we would be one of only a few clubs in Europe with a good bit of coin in a post Covid world then overnight Carlo becomes the lucky one - be an interesting 12 months or so combined with work on BMD starting.

What are the signs of progress you expect to see?
Honestly it could be a lot of different things. But I'm really not sure we are showing any.

To start I don't even know what Carlo's idea of his best side is, but say he wants to be defensive first, I'd expect to see a team that makes it hard for opponents to play through and tough to find themselves in good areas or getting shots away. Or I'd expect at least a team that largely stops teams from having big chances most games. Despite very defensive set ups we don't really do much better than average at these sorts of things.

I've said this a thousand times now but I expect progress. The progress I was told was in the results. So now where are we at with that?

I don't want it now, but I do want to be able to see how it might be when it does happen.
Still fine points-wise, lost loads of games we should be winning and a few games we should be losing.

14 wins is a fairly decent return, with a few games left.

No win in 4 is less than ideal.

Im not saying its pop the champagne stuff, but its a base to work from.

Whats the alternative? Sack him and start all over again? No, I'm not saying you're suggesting that.

Plenty had us pegged for relegation with the team before Ancelloti took over. It's still largely the same team.

When Ancelloti has his preferred XI to choose from, we are capable of mixing it with anyone in the league.

The measure for me is that Carlo clearly knows these players aren't up to it and expects much better than what we are achieving. He's a manager who will attract the best and knows how to win trophies.

I see this season as a bit like the start of a spring clean - it gets worse before it gets better.

Hate this defensive football Ancelotti is serving up....

Let’s appoint Simeone

giphy.gif

Dull and park the bus. However, at least you'll get a manager like ya da foaming at the mouth after a few Stella's watching the Bloos on the touchline and we'd be snidey as foook.

I guess some will accept that trade.

Still fine points-wise, lost loads of games we should be winning and a few games we should be losing.

14 wins is a fairly decent return, with a few games left.

No win in 4 is less than ideal.

Im not saying its pop the champagne stuff, but its a base to work from.

Whats the alternative? Sack him and start all over again? No, I'm not saying you're suggesting that.
That's not the alternative yet. It's still the point to let him build. But he can't have another entire season where the only thing that looks even half decent is the results. Partially because we are going to have a tough time having another season when the only thing that looks good are the results.

People always think I'm saying we need to play open football and although that is my preference I'm not saying that. What I am saying is if we are going to be defensive we have to actually be good at defending and we still need a threat. If we were doing that I'd have no issue but that isn't what is going on.

Plenty had us pegged for relegation with the team before Ancelloti took over. It's still largely the same team.

When Ancelloti has his preferred XI to choose from, we are capable of mixing it with anyone in the league.

The measure for me is that Carlo clearly knows these players aren't up to it and expects much better than what we are achieving. He's a manager who will attract the best and knows how to win trophies.

I see this season as a bit like the start of a spring clean - it gets worse before it gets better.
I don't think we were nearly as bad as the first bit makes us sound.

An issue is that we are not going to have our preferred XI often if it includes James and Allan.

Honestly it could be a lot of different things. But I'm really not sure we are showing any.

To start I don't even know what Carlo's idea of his best side is, but say he wants to be defensive first, I'd expect to see a team that makes it hard for opponents to play through and tough to find themselves in good areas or getting shots away. Or I'd expect at least a team that largely stops teams from having big chances most games. Despite very defensive set ups we don't really do much better than average at these sorts of things.
I'd imagine it would be the one we started the season with. Which, as is well documented, has not been available for a long time due to injuries and suspension.

I'm not sure we will find a definitive Ancelotti style of play. Or if he would stick with something for too long anyway.

Some will like it, others not. Despite taking the mikey out of some of the more reactionary posters on here, I'm actually intrigued to see where the Ancelotti regime takes us.

The quality of football is far from great currently and results are underwhelming. An awful lot of mitigating factors though. Yet again we are praying for a good transfer window.

I don't think we were nearly as bad as the first bit makes us sound.

An issue is that we are not going to have our preferred XI often if it includes James and Allan.
We clearly weren't as bad as that, but it was a legitimate concern for some.

I think we'll add again to CM. I think Ancelloti will want a RB, CM (maybe 2) and CB - an an established CB who can dominate and play out from defence.

If the rumours are to be believed that could be Koulibaly and Aarons. Who would both improve us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back