Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither do I.

But after 16 months I think it's fair to say we should be seeing something, no?

I'm happy for us to have different ways of playing. I'm happy for us to be a counter-attacking team in games. But, it's not like we did that very well yesterday either, and we can't pin it on injuries, unless we really are entirely dependent on Doucoure...

Did we not see it early on in the season when we had everyone on the pitch and were flying through teams?

Yes. The squad has improved so those saying Brands hasn’t done anything in 3 seasons are wrong in my opinion. Equally there’s a lot of players in this squad that in my opinion aren’t good enough and have played far too often this season and made too many mistakes.

I believe people have glossed over how poor we were in 17/18 thanks to the final league position. That was honestly the lowest I’ve felt as an Evertonian watching us go 1 up at home agaisnt Arsenal and knowing we were so poor we still wouldn’t win. The away game agaisnt Arsenal was equally humiliating. I think we’re a million miles away from that outfit now and definitely on an upwards curve.

We were an utter joke back then. People think we are defensive now but watch the Anfield derby from that season under Allardyce, the only time we crossed the halfway line was the punt upfield which led to the pen. We couldn’t even put a pass together.
I don't think many with sense are saying that?

We were dead poor in 17-18. Up until 3 games ago, though, we were averaging the same amount of chances and shots per game this season as we were that season. I guess that's now changed due to the Spurs/Palace games...

Did we not see it early on in the season when we had everyone on the pitch and were flying through teams?
I think this is revisionism.

We played well at the start of the season - very well.

But all we really did was take our chances. That's great, but let's face it, that West Brom game was very much in the balance until the red card, and even after that for a little while.

The Brighton game could very easily have been different. The derby too.

Not saying there wasn't good performances (West Ham at home was great) or a sign of what we want to do going forward. But then, is there a reason we haven't returned to that system/formation/even idea of creating chances since then? Aside from injuries, because as it stands it's only Doucoure out compared to that team?

But all we really did was take our chances. That's great, but let's face it, that West Brom game was very much in the balance until the red card, and even after that for a little while.

Not saying there wasn't good performances (West Ham at home was great) or a sign of what we want to do going forward. But then, is there a reason we haven't returned to that system/formation/even idea of creating chances since then? Aside from injuries, because as it stands it's only Doucoure out compared to that team?

Hardly revisionism when it was the truth...

Perhaps Carlo doesn't trust that style to also keep the other teams out (since we didn't) and is prioritising a win at all costs system now. Europe is his target after all.

I think that the entire season has more or less demonstrated that we need two midfielders that really get after the ball to play that way. Every time we've tried to play that way since then, it hasn't worked. We've conceded stupid goals without creating enough chances to compensate.

We may as well concede that this batch of players can defend a house and counterattack well, but that it's going to take a lot of squad investment to look like City or United. It could be worse - we could have spent all that money Abramovich did this summer on attacking riches to end up with Tuchel's pragmatism.

Hardly revisionism when it was the truth...

Perhaps Carlo doesn't trust that style to also keep the other teams out (since we didn't) and is prioritising a win at all costs system now. Europe is his target after all.

I mean we scored five past a crap West Brom side, could easily have conceded more v Brighton, conceded twice to Fleetwood. Gave away plenty of chances. We played well but not sure it's as well as we all like to think it was...

Yeah, perhaps. I just want to see something we can build on for next season, whether we get Europe or not.

I mean we scored five past a crap West Brom side, could easily have conceded more v Brighton, conceded twice to Fleetwood. Gave away plenty of chances. We played well but not sure it's as well as we all like to think it was...

Yeah, perhaps. I just want to see something we can build on for next season, whether we get Europe or not.

I’m not sure why you’re discussing our defence when I wasn’t talking about it.

So, an I missing something? I only passively watched the match at a bar yesterday but it looked like Everton was all over them, no? Arsenal didn't look like they had many chances at all and we definitely did.

So, an I missing something? I only passively watched the match at a bar yesterday but it looked like Everton was all over them, no? Arsenal didn't look like they had many chances at all and we definitely did.

We played okay in the first half, definitely the better team overall I'd say.

Second half was the usual turgid stuff. But we got a slice of luck.

Nowhere near as good as the performance v Spurs but we got the points to make up for it.

My issue is generally that we just look crap. But it's probably just going to be a case that if we get Europe, it'll be that we've been slightly less crap than the teams around us.

We played okay in the first half, definitely the better team overall I'd say.

Second half was the usual turgid stuff. But we got a slice of luck.

Nowhere near as good as the performance v Spurs but we got the points to make up for it.

My issue is generally that we just look crap. But it's probably just going to be a case that if we get Europe, it'll be that we've been slightly less crap than the teams around us.
Spurs and Palace were great showing but of course we found ways to not win.

We're so strange, play crap and we gut it out all the time, play good stuff and we throw it away constantly.

We are 8th and right in there despite the fact our midfield has 0 pace. We spent most of the season with 4 CB at the back. Had key injuries at major times, had benches full of kids and GKs. Finding a way to win is all that matters, very few teams play good football
I think we will buy 2 pace midfielders with good control to replace Siggy and Gomes a RB and someone to play left wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back