Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither do I.

But after 16 months I think it's fair to say we should be seeing something, no?

I'm happy for us to have different ways of playing. I'm happy for us to be a counter-attacking team in games. But, it's not like we did that very well yesterday either, and we can't pin it on injuries, unless we really are entirely dependent on Doucoure...

Seeing something? As in a style of play ?

Hes had one summer window spending £60mil.

Not going to be many big improvements until we have a new midfield and 2 new starting defenders.

Seeing something? As in a style of play ?

Hes had one summer window spending £60mil.

Not going to be many big improvements until we have a new midfield and 2 new starting defenders.

I don't really know if it's a style of play. I just want us to move the ball quicker, be more intense in our play.

I'm sorry Zat, that doesn't wash for me. Look at Bielsa - he had one window and one month to get the Leeds players playing how he wanted them to back in 2018. And they were straight at it from the off. Same with Rodgers at Leicester.

Carlo simply doesn't have a style of play. That's fine. But I don't think, *checks notes* passing the ball forwards at pace, comes into being 'style of play'.

I don't really know if it's a style of play. I just want us to move the ball quicker, be more intense in our play.

I'm sorry Zat, that doesn't wash for me. Look at Bielsa - he had one window and one month to get the Leeds players playing how he wanted them to back in 2018. And they were straight at it from the off. Same with Rodgers at Leicester.

Carlo simply doesn't have a style of play. That's fine. But I don't think, *checks notes* passing the ball forwards at pace, comes into being 'style of play'.

To pass the ball quickly you need to have players able to successfully pass the ball forwards instinctively.

Can Andre Gomes do that? Sigurdsson? Delph?

Remove those 3 and were left with Allan, Doucoure, Davies and Gbamin...none of whom you would associate their main strength as being quick incisive passing.

You then look at the width Leeds have and say Digne could offer that...on the right? Nothing.

To be able to play on the front foot with pace in moving the ball and high energy we need different players.

To pass the ball quickly you need to have players able to successfully pass the ball forwards instinctively.

Remove those 3 and were left with Allan, Doucoure, Davies and Gbamin...none of whom you would associate their main strength as being quick incisive passing.

You then look at the width Leeds have and say Digne could offer that...on the right? Nothing.

To be able to play on the front foot with pace in moving the ball and high energy we need different players.
I mean, surely they should be better at it than Stuart Dallas, Mateusz Klich, Adam Forshaw etc...

Leeds didn't have that width when Bielsa took over, this is my point.

He got bang average players playing the way he wanted them to in a month.

If Carlo had a set style of play, we'd have seen it implemented. It doesn't take a year and a half to implement a style of play.

He doesn't have one. Again, that's fine, it makes us more flexible in certain games which is where our wins against big teams have come from and, for example, that great win at Elland Road where we went man-to-man with Leeds.

But, it is also a pitfall when our players genuinely seem so clueless a lot of the times in building any moves. It's all off the cuff stuff. We had started to see that change in the last few home games so hopefully we see that carry on for the rest of the season and Arsenal was just a case of grinding it out.

It was a crap game the other day between two poor sides.

This is the Leeds team our useless manager has us ahead of right? The one that lost to Crawley in the cup and was humiliated by United? That one.

Last edited:

So he sends out 11 men in an unstructured free form ensemble, yes?

In the summer Ancelotti will have another opportunity to bring in a few more of his own players at that point we will get more of an idea what style he wants to play. Hopefully a RB who can supply genuine width a RF who has pace, a CM who can chip in with goals from midfield. A back up striker would also come in useful. I'm happy at CB Godfrey alongside whichever of the other suits the opposition best.

I mean, surely they should be better at it than Stuart Dallas, Mateusz Klich, Adam Forshaw etc...

Leeds didn't have that width when Bielsa took over, this is my point.

He got bang average players playing the way he wanted them to in a month.

If Carlo had a set style of play, we'd have seen it implemented. It doesn't take a year and a half to implement a style of play.

He doesn't have one. Again, that's fine, it makes us more flexible in certain games which is where our wins against big teams have come from and, for example, that great win at Elland Road where we went man-to-man with Leeds.

But, it is also a pitfall when our players genuinely seem so clueless a lot of the times in building any moves. It's all off the cuff stuff. We had started to see that change in the last few home games so hopefully we see that carry on for the rest of the season and Arsenal was just a case of grinding it out.

It was a crap game the other day between two poor sides.

A player may be of poorer quality than ours but if hes coached to pass the ball into an area immediately and quickly every single game then he will be able to do it.

Bielsa and Sarri have that type of similarity.

Again, im not sure what youre saying;

1: Complaining about not having a set style of play

2: Saying other managers can implement a style of play with different types of players

3: Saying style of play isnt important.

Ancelotti is a pragmatist.

1: Do not concede. If you keep a clean sheet then you will draw at worst.

2: Do what you need to do to create chances. Create a chance and take it while not conceding then you win.

Most top italian sides in the 90s and 00's played like this -- with far better teams than we have.

We have half a defence + half a midfield at best to the standard Ancelotti would expect of players given his background.

Improve those two areas with better quality and we'll see better results.

i couldnt care less how we play...

Do not concede.
Create chances
Take chances.

We win.

This is the Leeds team are useless manager has us ahead of right? The one that lost to Crawley in the cup and was humiliated by United? That one.

Its RS-lite with man buns.

A player may be of poorer quality than ours but if hes coached to pass the ball into an area immediately and quickly every single game then he will be able to do it.

2: Saying other managers can implement a style of play with different types of players

2: Do what you need to do to create chances. Create a chance and take it while not conceding then you win.

Most top italian sides in the 90s and 00's played like this -- with far better teams than we have.

We have half a defence + half a midfield at best to the standard Ancelotti would expect of players given his background.

Do not concede.
Create chances
Take chances.

We win.

Football is about keeping the ball out of your own net and putting it in the oppositions. Whichever team does this the best will win more games. Fortunately Ancelotti understands that rather than seeing us as a test bed for yet another football philosophy. His philosphy is winning by whatever means necessary.

Do not concede.
Create chances
Take chances.

We win.

Football is about keeping the ball out of your own net and putting it in the oppositions. Whichever team does this the best will win more games. Fortunately Ancelotti understands that rather than seeing us as a test bed for yet another football philosophy. His philosphy is winning by whatever means necessary.
Chaps, it's another one just seemingly wanting to have a moan about Ancelotti for something.

It's almost like they do it as a tag team.

Indeed.

I mean for me i think @BlueToff is saying that some of the players are rubbish...without saying it...and asking why the manager cant get them playing more cohesively.

What im saying is that to play better means to achieve more points. To do that we need to have better players at Ancelotti's disposal.

For that, we need to spend more than the £60mil last window.

Bare minimum is a RB + CB + CM just to tighten the back, play higher up the pitch and have the ball into the opposition half more.

Just on my last couple of posts about Ancelotti being a pragmatist...

1: Dont concede then the worst is a draw.

Add 2 quality players at RB and CB with pace.

Then add 2 strong, athletic players in centre midfield...such as Kessie and Bissouma.

The opposition cant play the ball behind our defence as we have pace there. They would need to play through us and get past the central midfield monsters.

2: Create chances and score.

Were now naturally higher up the pitch with a pacey back line and 2 monsters in front of them. Naturally were more confident defensively so the attacking players can express themselves more.

If we conceded less goals this season we'd have gotten more points and be higher in the table.

If were attacking with more confidence higher up the pitch then we'd create more chances.

Without even making a single attacking signing we'd already look a far better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back