Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do i. I also think alot of blues are so scared of getting their hopes up about the future in case it goes the way its gone previously and kopites laugh at them that theyd rather the team and carlo failed straight away

there is a lot of this. Some fans have spent so long being accustomed to being rubbish that they enjoy the role of being the edgy losers.

Whenever Bielsa gets brought into the argument you know it’s just pure football hipsterism. The bloke has won close to zip for most of his career and currently has Leeds in 10th. His cup exit was embarassing and some of the losses for them this season have been awful. Why is he even getting mentioned in this argument? May as well start bigging up Graham Potter....oh wait some did.

Moshiri has his dream team of Carlo and Brands now. It’s the combination he’s wanted since day one, and like with most things Moshiri gets what he wants. Neither are going anywhere.

We have an absolutely massive opportunity, probably the biggest in out post 87 history, coming our way with the top 6 possibly in chaos. Arsenal are falling further away every season, Spurs could take a turn for the worst with Kane close to falling off his peak and now outside of the top 4. Liverpool are at the end of their cycle and have big problems. Add to all of that there may be a super league punishment soon to impact all of them.

Who better to take advantage of this opportunity than a manager with our highest win rate since Kendall. He’s slain the demons of Anfield and the Emirates in one season. He’s had a group of players most of which aren’t his returning European level points totals for close to 18 months now despite battling an injury crisis for large parts of that period.

Yet some want to complain that what he’s doing is unsustainable, it’s not as good as Bielsa, it’s a fluke, he’s not suited to players below the elite etc. It beggars belief it really does.

But...but... pep said he was boss and pochetino was his apprentice and leeds run round loads...

Joking aside hes done well. If leeds get top 10 thats a great achievement for a team who has spent 2 decades out of the top flight, on the flip side of that wilder did better with sheff utd. So did phil brown. This happens every couple of seasons, a team comes up with a different play style, win a few, ppl lose their mind biggin them up.
They struggle or go down 2nd season

Leeds are a decent watch. Better watch than most, but that all out style isnt built for longevity.

But...but... pep said he was boss and pochetino was his apprentice and leeds run round loads...

Joking aside hes done well. If leeds get top 10 thats a great achievement for a team who has spent 2 decades out of the top flight, on the flip side of that wilder did better with sheff utd. So did phil brown. This happens every couple of seasons, a team comes up with a different play style, win a few, ppl lose their mind biggin them up.
They struggle or go down 2nd season

Leeds are a decent watch. Better watch than most, but that all out style isnt built for longevity.
The comical thing is that Bielsa has been at Leeds nearly three years and brought in a fair few players.

Folk talk like he rocked up the start of the season and magically transformed a bunch of players.

Looks like he might have spent time and money building something. Mad concept, huh?

Having looked at recent posts on the thread, the impression is given that some fear Carlo is happy to play as now and does not have a vision as to how we can improve our style on the pitch.

This seems at odds with his regular and honest post match interviews in which he acknowledges we can play better. I recall he has used the phrase 'Play Vertically' as a recognition of the need to get the ball forward quicker.

At the moment, he has to get results with the players at his disposal. The squad at this present time only has 4 players whose signing he has endorsed and one of those is injured. This is insufficient to be able to conclude that our playing style will not improve with an enhanced squad whose players have the full confidence of the manager.

Regrettably, I doubt that some of our current first team squad have the ability to change the way they play which requires an improvement in skills
I’m not happy with the way he has us playing now, but I agree with your post, let’s see how we are playing after he has bedded a few more players into a style that we can recognise and see that he is creating a team who are really going places, it’s certainly not like that at present.

So he sends out 11 men in an unstructured free form ensemble, yes?
No, that's not the same thing.

Bielsa, Klopp, Pep etc - they all have 'styles' of play. They all have identities in how they want their teams to play.

I think Carlo is much more flexible in terms of his general style of play. He's not obsessed with possession or fixed to being a counter-attacking team either.

Bit of a difference,Bielsa had the Championship to practice in and Brenda inherited a team with quite a few Prem winners. Ancelotti a group coached by Silva and Allardyce.
We looked better under Silva in the back half of his first season than we have done at pretty much any stage this year since October.

I don't think that we're worse off, btw, but we did at least see the general plan with Silva, it was just flawed and even moreso when Gana was sold.

I know these players aren't good enough. However, if he wanted to implement a certain style in terms of our attacking play, he would have done, even with these players. Atm our attacks need James to be on form to function - if not it's very much hit and hope.

I just want to see that change up a bit, so we can hopefully start to see the template of something, in the knowledge that we need those players to come in and really make it work.

I have no issue with winning games in a scrappy style, it just isn't sustainable.

No, that's not the same thing.

Bielsa, Klopp, Pep etc - they all have 'styles' of play. They all have identities in how they want their teams to play.

I think Carlo is much more flexible in terms of his general style of play. He's not obsessed with possession or fixed to being a counter-attacking team either.
Then this is a good thing, yes?

In short, why have you spent the last god knows how many pages moaning?

We looked better under Silva in the back half of his first season than we have done at pretty much any stage this year since October.

I don't think that we're worse off, btw, but we did at least see the general plan with Silva, it was just flawed and even moreso when Gana was sold.

I know these players aren't good enough. However, if he wanted to implement a certain style in terms of our attacking play, he would have done, even with these players. Atm our attacks need James to be on form to function - if not it's very much hit and hope.

I just want to see that change up a bit, so we can hopefully start to see the template of something, in the knowledge that we need those players to come in and really make it work.

I have no issue with winning games in a scrappy style, it just isn't sustainable.
The lack of quality in some positions means that a couple of injuries result in a total change of set up. When James is out we have little to no creativity,Allen and or Dacoure missing and midfield is easily over run. With the next two windows going well we can hopefully be able to bring in like for like replacements and keep the same shape.

That’s because we had absolutely nothing to play for in the back half of Silva’s first season. I’ve seen that season which Silva produced countless times under Moyes Martinez Koeman and even Allardyce. Start off promising but too many draws burst the bubble, then collapse over Christmas and January, out of both domestic cups by February and in the bottom half, then once there is no pressure whatsoever go on a great run at Goodison to finish just outside the European places. It’s happened loads of times and for me it’s a nothing season. Brushing aside City or United 4-0 at home is ok but when it means nothing then there’s only so much stock you can put in that performance, because in all those seasons the second we had a game that meant anything (a derby, away game at top 6, win to get into Europe etc.) we just folded like a pack of cards. That’s not a style of play, that’s not consistency, that’s just playing with the freedom of no expectation in the Goodison sun. It’s rubbish.

Ancelotti has been scrapping all season in the top 6. Whether that was the good football ah the start of the season, the counterattacking team at Christmas good at set pieces, or the 532 that won four in a row and at Anfield. It’s not always been pretty but unlike Silva Koeman and Martinez, Ancelotti hasn’t thrown the season away already. He’s won games that actually matter, hard ones away at Liverpool Arsenal Spurs Leicester Leeds.

This season could have been very different. We could have barely won over the Christmas period trying to play thee same way we did at the start of the season with Siggurdson in for James and Davies in for Allan. Carlo could have blamed the injuries. Then we could have beaten Fulham Newcastle and Burnley at home, lost all the big games, and we’d be in 11th talking about how if we could just win all our games we might make europe. It would be an absolute rinse and repeat season though.

Ancelotti has changed things at the club that other managers no matter what the circumstances haven’t managed in decades. All those managers who had a prime Lukaku, or who had the best full back pairing in the league at their disposal, who had creative players like Arteta and Pienaar, who had Idrissa Gueye. How Carlo would love to have talent like that his disposal. Not one of them though could manage an away win at Anfield or the Emirates. Not one of them could manage ten away wins. Only twice have we ever come close to challenging the top 4 into April. Most of them could barely win a game when their top players weren’t available yet alone have the best win % in Everton’s prem history.

But at least Silva had a plan though.

That’s because we had absolutely nothing to play for in the back half of Silva’s first season. I’ve seen that season which Silva produced countless times under Moyes Martinez Koeman and even Allardyce. Start off promising but too many draws burst the bubble, then collapse over Christmas and January, out of both domestic cups by February and in the bottom half, then once there is no pressure whatsoever go on a great run at Goodison to finish just outside the European places. It’s happened loads of times and for me it’s a nothing season. Brushing aside City or United 4-0 at home is ok but when it means nothing then there’s only so much stock you can put in that performance, because in all those seasons the second we had a game that meant anything (a derby, away game at top 6, win to get into Europe etc.) we just folded like a pack of cards. That’s not a style of play, that’s not consistency, that’s just playing with the freedom of no expectation in the Goodison sun. It’s rubbish.

Ancelotti has been scrapping all season in the top 6. Whether that was the good football ah the start of the season, the counterattacking team at Christmas good at set pieces, or the 532 that won four in a row and at Anfield. It’s not always been pretty but unlike Silva Koeman and Martinez, Ancelotti hasn’t thrown the season away already. He’s won games that actually matter, hard ones away at Liverpool Arsenal Spurs Leicester Leeds.

This season could have been very different. We could have barely won over the Christmas period trying to play thee same way we did at the start of the season with Siggurdson in for James and Davies in for Allan. Carlo could have blamed the injuries. Then we could have beaten Fulham Newcastle and Burnley at home, lost all the big games, and we’d be in 11th talking about how if we could just win all our games we might make europe. It would be an absolute rinse and repeat season though.

Ancelotti has changed things at the club that other managers no matter what the circumstances haven’t managed in decades. All those managers who had a prime Lukaku, or who had the best full back pairing in the league at their disposal, who had creative players like Arteta and Pienaar, who had Idrissa Gueye. How Carlo would love to have talent like that his disposal. Not one of them though could manage an away win at Anfield or the Emirates. Not one of them could manage ten away wins. Only twice have we ever come close to challenging the top 4 into April. Most of them could barely win a game when their top players weren’t available yet alone have the best win % in Everton’s prem history.

But at least Silva had a plan though.
But but but ....

Whenever Bielsa gets brought into the argument you know it’s just pure football hipsterism. The bloke has won close to zip for most of his career and currently has Leeds in 10th. His cup exit was embarassing and some of the losses for them this season have been awful. Why is he even getting mentioned in this argument? May as well start bigging up Graham Potter....oh wait some did.

Moshiri has his dream team of Carlo and Brands now. It’s the combination he’s wanted since day one, and like with most things Moshiri gets what he wants. Neither are going anywhere.

We have an absolutely massive opportunity, probably the biggest in out post 87 history, coming our way with the top 6 possibly in chaos. Arsenal are falling further away every season, Spurs could take a turn for the worst with Kane close to falling off his peak and now outside of the top 4. Liverpool are at the end of their cycle and have big problems. Add to all of that there may be a super league punishment soon to impact all of them.

Who better to take advantage of this opportunity than a manager with our highest win rate since Kendall. He’s slain the demons of Anfield and the Emirates in one season. He’s had a group of players most of which aren’t his returning European level points totals for close to 18 months now despite battling an injury crisis for large parts of that period.

Yet some want to complain that what he’s doing is unsustainable, it’s not as good as Bielsa, it’s a fluke, he’s not suited to players below the elite etc. It beggars belief it really does.
But but.... style of play or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back