Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem for me is that there is no set system to how we play. He is a very defensive manager in the mould of a Moyes, Allardyce, Mourinho. Our main aim is not to concede, he doesn't trust younger players. We aim to keep it tight and hope a moment of quality from James, Digne, Siggy will be finished off. Then keep it tight. He's always had better players before, so there were more moments of quality and the underlying tactic of defend first goes un-noticed. We've fallen back into the trap as we did under Silva of believing we are a ball playing team, but we are not good enough, we are too slow, we pass it around safely and give the other team loads of time to get back and get sorted. Then we are not good enough to pick out the killer pass. With two fast forwards such as DCL and Richie the easiest ball is down the channel, how many times did Mings or Konsa just play it down the side for Watkins to chase and cause havoc. That was what big Dunc did when he took over from Silva get the ball forwards quicker and then join the attack when there's holes to go through.

He tried the four centre backs. It worked but people then moaned it took away forward play from fullbacks/wide.
Honestly honestly dont think anyone is getting a tune out of most of this lot.
Not much has changed. A big clear out is needed.

Think is season is a mad one with no fans etc. Next season with fans, a normalish summer and hopefully some decent signings we can judge him fully.

It is dire at the minute though.

When are fans allowed back? I'm sure I heard somewhere that they'd be allowed in for the last round of fixtures; is that still a thing?

He tried the four centre backs. It worked but people then moaned it took away forward play from fullbacks/wide.
Honestly honestly dont think anyone is getting a tune out of most of this lot.
Not much has changed. A big clear out is needed.

True, we all know where to start.

I do not favour the dismissal of our manager at this juncture , he is a more than competent coach and deserves a minimum of 3 seasons to achieve success.
However that doesn’t disguise the fact that I have been deeply disappointed with his overall performance during this admittedly strange season.
Despite a promising start we are ending the season with little sign of visible ongoing progression or improvement.
We will be starting next season in the same position as we normally occupy being a decent mid table side with an outside chance of European qualification , which at least represents stability of sorts.
For long periods of the season we have been every bit as sterile and boring as we were under the one manager whose dismissal I campaigned for and it would be hypocritical of me not to note this.
If a good manager improves the players he coaches he has failed utterly in Richarlison whose performances this season have been very disappointing.
So much seems to have depended on Rodriguez who improves us vastly when he plays. Unfortunately his fitness has predictably negated his effective contribution to our position and ,for me, he represents a failed gamble.
Alan ,a technically top class player just looks a touch too slow for this league.
I hope ,if we are rightly going give to the manager time, that we concentrate on recruiting younger players rather than slightly past their sell by date discards from other clubs.
I personally hope that Ancelotti is leading us out at ‘the Dock’ since that would imply success but if he posts anything approaching the disastrous home results and sterile performances this time next year, then his position may become increasingly untenable.
As ever patience is our watchword.

I am genuinely not mystified at all re the form at goodison. We play with s total lack of intensity. I cannot understand how we expect to get a positive result.

A definition of madness is to do the same thing time after time and expect a different result and so I am mystified re carlo Ancelotti

Why is the away form so good then?

I don't think Carlo is actually a 'defensive' manager.

He's a brilliant manager. Who can set us up brilliantly for certain games and, as we're seeing away, knows how to get results.

But, on the flip side, we can't now say the home form is a one-off. We can't blame it on a lack of fans, because then that can also apply to our away form.

For me, he makes some bizarre decisions in his team selection and changes. In the games where the onus is on us, he really doesn't seem to have a clue at the moment. He's picking teams without any balance.

Of course, injuries haven't helped but the fact we're so reliant on one or two players is frightening and 17 months in to any manager's tenure, I don't think that should be the case.

Club need to back him big this summer because we need quality players but we also need to see something from him and the coaching staff so that our default setting isn't just camp on the edge of our own box and have the strikers feed off scraps. Issue is if we try to play open, then we're wide open at the back. It needs sorting and it's not just about players.

I do wonder (and I have to say there is more than a wishful thinking here) that part of our issue is we reach this point, at a similar time with most managers and that we need to persevere with a manager to get through this?

In work places patterns emerge, and the pattern learned is a reset is needed and a new manager arrives.

I cling to the hope that if the manager is kept, some more players are bought in, the culture changes.

Its really difficult, I felt for a long time it was very telling that we wouldnt win away, particularly at the top teams to how we had a poor mentality. This season we have won at Anfield, Emirates, Spurs and Leicester as well as fighting back from 2 behind at OT. So something is there.

I am genuineky quite mystified about the form at Goodison.

I really do hope that that Ancelotti is here for a considerable time to come. If he were to leave in the next couple years, it isn't good for us on any level.

I fear then that we would have this "club that can never be fixed" tag and just continue in mediocrity.

That said, I am concerned. We can't adopt a see no evil hear no evil stance with Ancelotti as problems will come to the fore whether he/we want them to or not. It how he adapts and deals with them. That's where my concern is, does he have that flexibility and motivation?

Players aren't star struck anymore and the younger ones won't have the immediacy of remembering some of his big achievements. For the squad as a whole, it's not the grandfatherly approach they need I think. That's an invitation for more of the same.

Silva had neither the ability nor gravitas, Koeman didn't care, and Allardyce lives up to his Fireman Sam tag and nothing else.

None of us can argue with a manager of Ancelotti's calibre, and I don't think anyone didn't think it wasn't anything other than a fantastic appointment. I'm still very much in his camp although as was going to happen anyway, the gloss has worn off. He won't get infinite patience, not from fans, and not from Moshiri either. It will be dictated by results but we are not near a stage where you could credibly argue that he should go without looking foolish.

He'll be under serious pressure this time next year though if the top six doesn't seem within our reach. And its top six that would pacify the vast majority of us, with good football and also without, probably. We aren't actually demanding the universe within a short time frame. Why bother with the salary outlay if he is not going to better any of his predecessors none of whom could ever compare to him? That's the territory we'll be in within a short 12 months or earlier so the pressure will very much be on from the start of next season.

I am genuinely not mystified at all re the form at goodison. We play with s total lack of intensity. I cannot understand how we expect to get a positive result.

A definition of madness is to do the same thing time after time and expect a different result and so I am mystified re carlo Ancelotti

I think Carlo is as mystified as everyone else.

I'm pretty sure he's not telling them to start games that way especially more often than not, good away results/performances.

It was the same team that play really well against Arsenal apart from James. Now, the drop from James to Iwobi is huge...maybe no one stepped up to fill his boots?

I don't think Carlo is actually a 'defensive' manager.

He's a brilliant manager. Who can set us up brilliantly for certain games and, as we're seeing away, knows how to get results.

But, on the flip side, we can't now say the home form is a one-off. We can't blame it on a lack of fans, because then that can also apply to our away form.

For me, he makes some bizarre decisions in his team selection and changes. In the games where the onus is on us, he really doesn't seem to have a clue at the moment. He's picking teams without any balance.

Of course, injuries haven't helped but the fact we're so reliant on one or two players is frightening and 17 months in to any manager's tenure, I don't think that should be the case.

Club need to back him big this summer because we need quality players but we also need to see something from him and the coaching staff so that our default setting isn't just camp on the edge of our own box and have the strikers feed off scraps. Issue is if we try to play open, then we're wide open at the back. It needs sorting and it's not just about players.

I honestly think we will back him.

The squad is threadbare with some big earners going off the books.

I think Carlo is as mystified as everyone else.

I'm pretty sure he's not telling them to start games that way especially more often than not, good away results/performances.

It was the same team that play really well against Arsenal apart from James. Now, the drop from James to Iwobi is huge...maybe no one stepped up to fill his boots?
But the thing is mate, we didn't play really well against Arsenal, did we.

In fact, we all pretty much came away saying well, that was a crap performance but we got the luck that we didn't in the previous games.

We played half-decent v Palace and well v Spurs. Spurs is the only home game we've seemed to have balance in lately and it's no surprise that it's because we had a relatively solid two in midfield and our full-backs pushed high. We conceded v Spurs because of defensive mistakes, and their other chances came from set-pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back