Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are at a crossroads with Carlo..
Any improvement in results is offset by the awful football that we play and the lack of any identity or playing style.
He isn't going to promote youth and play players like Branthwaite, Nkounkou and Gordon.
So , realistically there is no point Brands trying to recruit younger players.
Therefore the only way forward is to give Carlo a budget of £100 million plus and hope that he finds 4 decent players that he can work with. Almost Inevitably they will be senior pros and have a limited shelf life and not represent value on a long term basis.
It is a gamble but I'm not sure what other options are open to us. If Carlo gets it wrong the clubs development will be set back for years.
On the other hand we have tried the younger manager approach ( perhaps just the wrong guy in Silva?)
To be frank I'm pleased that it isn't me making that decision and risking my money.

Carlo got us so close but does have to take some of the blame for the failure. As soon as James was injured I think he should have changed tactics and either brought Davies in and made it into a diamond or brought Mina in and went 3 at the back. I understand they work on a system all week but once you were replacing James with Iwobi the style of play changed anyways. Starting Gomes and Sigurdsson together puts us on the back foot a bit as they are both too slow. Our early season form was when Gomes was starting and Sigurdsson replaced him. I absolutely believe in Carlo and if we get a couple of decent midfielders in over the summer I think we will go closer next season. I hope if we get Conference League he uses it to give fringe players games. I also think sometimes he isn't proactive enough with subs, I would have brought King and Bernard on at about 60 minutes for Iwobi and Sigurdsson. He waited until too late in my opinion. I suppose its easy for me to say after the event and with no pressure on but I think they would have kept us in control. Next season is the one. He will get some more players and have had more time to implement his instructions. We really need to be in that top 4 next season.

Of course this season’s home form is totally unacceptable. However what gives me optimism moving forward is that his signings last summer have on the whole been a success. What we couldn’t legislate for was the form of our supposedly better players. The form of Richarlison has fallen off a cliff and up until the last few games, the form of Pickford and Digne has been decidly average. I still think midfield to be our biggest area of concern, the balance doesn’t look right to me. We have a midfield that offers little creativity and protection to the back four - not a good mix.
we desperately need a RB, CM and RW. Get that right and we could see a marked improvement in our form. But sadly if Carlo with his experience and credentials isn’t the man as some are suggesting, I just worry who can.

Wow killer answer mate you got me. Paying someone £150k and still coming 8th is massive progress, what the hell was I thinking.

Well, what's the only thing he's got wrong? Home form. If he had a bang average home form, we're anything between 6th and 4th.

Have you seen the bench we had since January? 1 senior first team player at points and not being able to make the allocation.

The only thing it proves is that you could have Pep at the helm and he's more than likely going to do a similar job Carlo is doing now with the same set of players.

CA stats,

PPG is the lowest at any time in his entire career.
62 games played (29 wins, 13 draws and 20 defeats)
Win percentage of 47%, dropping by the game

I`ve always looked at managers and thought that the sign of a good manager is getting more out of a set of players than is expected, is CA doing that? In my opinion our league position is where you could have predicted this set of players to finish.

I dont see any style coming through, there is no consistency, the home form is a massive massive concern. Only Sheff Utd and Fulham have worse home records and really that is criminal for Everton.

You have to ask yourself why clubs like Barca, Real Madrid, Chelsea are all successful. Because they put the pressure on the manager to achieve, if not they will get someone that can do the job and that has proven to be successful. Everton on the other hand have no pressure on the manager and they are allowed to drift from season to season until it get so bad the fans tell the club it needs to be changed.

At Everton CA has a job for life, clearly no big clubs want him that is how he ended up at Everton. He is coming to or beyond his best days but because of his past and his name Everton will never put any pressure on him to succeed and I think he will end up drifting as so many have done before.

IF the club is ambitious, they say they are, heads need to roll for failure BUT we have seen it for far too long that at Everton failure IS accepted with a must do better next time mentality, that is a massive problem and will undermine what they are trying to achieve and keep us where we should be 8th-12th in the Premier League. Big Club with a small time mentality!

If the idea of a big club mentality is to fire a 3 time champions league winner after 1 and a half seasons, for a team who haven't won anything is 30+ years cos he can't get a tune out of Iwobi's of this world....then I don't want that mentality.

It's like City firing Pep after his first season. It's daft.

Also, isn't his worst win percentage our best in the league? Funny that

Last edited:
Got to play the long game, comfort yourselves knowing how badly Howard mk1 started or how close to the sack Alex ferguson got before he turned it around.

It isn't good enough by a long shot but we need to see this through and give him at least another season. have faith, it is all we have at the moment.

Carlo seems to have overestimated his team's ability to be able to play in a number of formations, strategy and play well with whoever is on the park.

The problem is our players aren't quite good enough to be able to do whatever job they're asked of them. You can do it if you're Chelsea, and you have players that can adjust without losing too much of their ability or advantages. You can't make Michael Keane play a high line, or James press and tire him out, or ask Gylfi to create 5 chances every game.

What lower tier sides and what Everton used to do under Moyes was just play the same way every week and make us very hard to beat. If you want our players playing at their maximum, you have to pick a best 11 and play that every week. Unfortunately not even Carlo could do that because we've had too many injuries. Carlo seems to be thinking ahead and grooming us to play a number of ways like a Chelsea or a Man City, which is needed if you play in Europe.

This is the short term pain for longer term gain we have to endure. One or two more summers, and all the current 'squad players' like Delph, Iwobi, Gbamin, Gomes, Siggy will move on. Man City/Chelsea weren't built in one season.

Of course this season’s home form is totally unacceptable. However what gives me optimism moving forward is that his signings last summer have on the whole been a success. What we couldn’t legislate for was the form of our supposedly better players. The form of Richarlison has fallen off a cliff and up until the last few games, the form of Pickford and Digne has been decidly average. I still think midfield to be our biggest area of concern, the balance doesn’t look right to me. We have a midfield that offers little creativity and protection to the back four - not a good mix.
we desperately need a RB, CM and RW. Get that right and we could see a marked improvement in our form. But sadly if Carlo with his experience and credentials isn’t the man as some are suggesting, I just worry who can.
I suppose one way of looking at it. Had we ended up 5th or 6th maybe a lot of these players stay and only 2/3 brought in.

Now finishing 8th and who knows maybe even worse, surely ancelotti and Moshiri will know they need a lot more.

The club talk about wanting champions league football, well then they have a lot of work to do in the summer. Back up keeper, RB, CB, CM, RW, Striker. Left wing back up(youngster)

I know it won’t happen, but I wouldn’t care if 75% of this squad was sold.

I wouldn't want him gone at all but I'm not satisfied either, all things considered.

I wonder at his level of hunger and motivation when all is said and done. At the guest lecture he gave recently, he said he likes to embed himself in the culture of the club he was with rather than work to change it. Ours is a culture of mediocrity so seeking to embed himself within that is only going to yield more of the same.

He is right to call out the attitude of the team/players on occasion, but I'm concerned that he, Ancelotti, can't do more to inspire them, and/or why the players seem so continuously tense, timid, and passive on the pitch if he is trying to.

It doesn't make sense at all to get rid of him, or to consider it as that would do us more harm than good and potentially see us drift into a downward spiral which could have serious consequences. But we can't give him a free pass either. I'm disappointed with how the season has gone in the main. The "football" on offer is some of the very worst I've seen from us in recent times. He can't make a silk purse from a sows ear but after 16 months I thought we'd at least be near to being cohesive and organised, and be able to have enough about us to play with purpose and intent going forward. We don't look like that team to me.

I do wonder if he is the right fit. I've thought for a long time that we need a very strong personality to lead us, someone who would come here and rule the club from the top down with an iron fist in the SAF mould. Looking at the limpness and timidity of some of the players/performances, I really do think we need that vocal leadership from the dug-out. That isn't a panacea for everything of course, and you have to be a good manager in all of the required areas also, but God we need something that bit extra.

It doesn't have to be a start all over again job for someone but under a succession of managers I see the same worrying trends. The other big problem is the catastrophic recruitment. It could yet be that Brands will be the one costing Ancelotti his job whereas Brands' impact in his job to date has been largely negative in my opinion. A new contract for Brands is bad news I feel. They both have to change but the bigger problem is Brands.

I wish people would just stop bleating on about our home form like it has any significance in these conditions because it doesn't. The only reason we ever distinguish home and away from in normal times is because of all the paying fans in attendance apparently giving the home side a perceived advantage. That doesn't apply in these conditions and therefore its a moot point. If things where as normal its almost a certainty that we'd of lost half the away games we've won this season but we'd also of won the home games against the likes Fulham ect. 8th is where we are as a club, you can sack the manager and start again but we'll only be back in this position next year around 8th with a side that does enough to stay comfortably away from relegation but isn't good enough to challange for European football. We're mid-table mediocrity incarnate and we'll always be that if we're always starting over because our managers have a shelf life of eighteen mouths and they never get a chance to build anything.

Last edited:
Got to give him more time. If he needs better players which obviously from the last few seasons, we obviously do. Carlo can still get us a better standard of player. Brands has to deliver, he also needs to use january as that this season was a huge mistake
I don’t think it was a mistake. They have a strategy now of not doing anything in January.
Don’t forget the primary focus of freeing up wages before any new additions are made. Therefore this is a transitional period and i honestly don’t believe there is as much panic in the boardroom as some of the supporters are displaying right now and thank god!
(Some of the comments on here are laughable and irrational)

He should be getting more out of this lot. I don’t care what anyone say’s. He’s bought Allan, Doucoure, Rodriguez, and Godfrey. We already have DCL who he loves, Richarlison, Digne, and Pickford ( who he also likes), so what is he waiting for?. No team in the league gets a new manager and then 25 players for him before they win something. He’s a world class manager and should be getting more out of these players.

I don’t think it was a mistake. They have a strategy now of not doing anything in January.
Don’t forget the primary focus of freeing up wages before any new additions are made. Therefore this is a transitional period and i honestly don’t believe there is as much panic in the boardroom as some of the supporters are displaying right now and thank god!
(Some of the comments on here are laughable and irrational)
I know it was a strategy but given our position and injuries not adding to the squad was a mistake in my opinion. I am not happy with these performances either and yes carlo should rightly be criticised but talk of sacking yet another manager whilst the same players stroll around the pitch every game just isn't on really.

At some point we have to take the hit in the short term for hopeful long term gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back