Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.

We talk about signings and we say "he walks into our team" but is that really where we want to aim?

Same here, Carlo is better than Bobby or Ronnie the Dumbo but is that the aim?
No, our aims are quite clear, to qualify for European competitions, to win trophies.

Expecting Ancelotti to turn a no mark club from no marks, to a top, top team in 18months is unrealistic.

And don't give me West Ham, they will be back where they belong next season, same as Sheff Utd, Wolves, Burnley and all the other recent no marks who jumped up big for a season.

I often wonder if people even know what team they support, a club that hasn't won zip for nearly 30 years, "But the media ignore us", "Nobody respects our history", yeah, cos its 2021, not 1987.

Give the man time and if he still fails, give him more time, cos that's what we all have, lots and lots of time.

Done more than enough to stay on imo. Top 4 was never really on, it was a remote chance at best with our squad, an impossibility with the injuries we've gotten. There's some deadwood that need clearing out for sure, but I'm sick of changing managers and I really like this one.
You've been middle fingering the crap out of me here but I agree. It's just that next year needs to be better especially when you're signing the likes of Rodriguez and Allan who don't have loads of years left and I would just really liked to see more progression this year to make further progression next term the natural thing to have happen.

No, our aims are quite clear, to qualify for European competitions, to win trophies.

Expecting Ancelotti to turn a no mark club from no marks, to a top, top team in 18months is unrealistic.

And don't give me West Ham, they will be back where they belong next season, same as Sheff Utd, Wolves, Burnley and all the other recent no marks who jumped up big for a season.

I often wonder if people even know what team they support, a club that hasn't won zip for nearly 30 years, "But the media ignore us", "Nobody respects our history", yeah, cos its 2021, not 1987.

Give the man time and if he still fails, give him more time, cos that's what we all have, lots and lots of time.
I have no issue giving him time as I say I just want a discernable direction. As I see it now we have two modes: too open to defend properly and too secure to pose a threat to score. It isn't too much to find a middle ground that doesn't involve James dominating midfield by himself.

Nepotism
Jobs for the boys

I love Dunc to bits my childhood hero but what does he honestly bring to the table other than the occasional cheerleading on the sideline?

Davide - only worked under Carlo whats his qualifications/track record?

All too cosy cosy at this Football Club has been for many years. Seamus Coleman having a contract forever is the latest one.
And yet just a few pages back you were cheerleading Dunc as the 'pashunate' manager we need.

Every year after Martinez first season, a bad spell and want the manager sacked.

Klopp had 4 seasons to win something, in his first they celebrate a draw against West Brom. OGS at United was in the verve of being sacked after a 4-0 defeat at Goodison 2 years ago and now he is one game away from winning the Europa League.

Every time we call for patience and time but this means nothing.

Got to give him more time. If he needs better players which obviously from the last few seasons, we obviously do. Carlo can still get us a better standard of player. Brands has to deliver, he also needs to use january as that this season was a huge mistake

I like Carlo but he has tactically got it wrong a lot this season and I don't think he's getting the most out of the squad. Disclaimer...I don't think the squad is great (particularly with what he's used to) but some of his decisions worry my:
Tactically - he tinkers a lot, even in games. Started the season a 4-3-3 which played good attacking football. Seems a long distant memory and though you could say injuries ruined that, seems he never attempted like for like switches.
CBs - I like both Godfrey and holgate individually as players but I'm not sure it's a CB pairing that works. Both of them need a Mina/Keane almost to direct them if anything. Mina + Godfrey I think cb pairing. Also please Carlo when playing 3 do not use Keane.
Siggurdson - I'm not his biggest fan but he's had a decent season and probably deserves to be playing. Only in the number 10 role not shoehorned I wherever there's space whether that be cm or out of the left. He's shown time and time again he's completely ineffective there. This is something all our managers since he was signed have fallen into.
Davies - probably not good enough for where we want to be but has been dropped in a time where he's probably had his best run of performances for us for years. Gomes who's far from the player we signed looks awful atm.
Squad use - it baffles me after his input this season that Delph waltzs back into the squad and gets game time. The likes of nkounkou and Bernard have had pretty positive performances and then been dropped for months on end. Also I know there are a couple of examples to say otherwise but it's clear in general Carlo prefers experience over youth.
Iwobi - probably not Carlos fault but he picks him fairly often. One of our worst signings for me.

Its not that difficult to comprehend. Most of the players we’ve brought in under Brands are far better than the ones they replaced, therefore the squad has improved, but it’s still not good enough. Why is that such a difficult concept?

James Allan Docuoure Godfrey Richarlison Digne Mina are all far better than anyone out of the 17/18 squad that they replaced. It doesn’t mean they’re perfect footballers though, we were still a bottom half/mid table premier eagle outfit with no European football and FFP constraints when we brought them in. So we made a step forward yes but not enough yet.

There’s still players like Keane Coleman Davies Siggurdson who are not premier league level at all. When you add some of the poor players that have arrived like Delph Iwobi Gomes and Bernard to that lot then there’s still a group of players who are not good enough.

What then exacerbates the problem is that the best players always have to be fit and at top form otherwise the poorer players are straight in which has happened too often this season.

I don’t think Brands or Ancelotti are perfect or have not made mistakes, far from it. But
In comparison to the absolute Armageddon that was Koeman and Walsh bringing in the likes of Siggurdson Schneiderlin and Ashley Williams then I’d much rather have these two.

I feel we are improving but at the moment we’re still not good enough and indeed not very good at all. You can either get angry at the people trying to turn us round, or get angry at the ones who have put us in this mess. I think we’ll be better next season and the season after. If we’re not though and we start regressing then sure we need to change. We’re not at that point yet though, Ancelotti and Brands clearly have the backing of the board, so whilst I accept there can be criticism of both of them, and criticism that the pace of improvement isn’t quick enough, I can’t get on board with those who seem to want to throw one of the other (they don’t seem to mind which one) under the bus when they’re actually the first people who have done anything to try and turn us around since Martinez’s first season.

I’ll recognise that they’ve made mistakes and probably will continue to and give them a bit more time and support to see if they can continue to improve us rather than being pushed into a binary position by some who are just a bit over upset we took o her losses at home this season rather than away.
Yeah you’re right it’s very easy to comprehend. Buying players who are better than the ones we had before but still rubbish is not a success. Again, I’m surprised this needs spelling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back