Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate you’ve literally just said that only one of our players has a good first touch. Would you say not having a good touch is desirable in a footballer? If yes then why mention it? If no then how can the fact we keep signing players without one possibly not be an issue that the DoF is responsible for? I mean come on, this is pretty simple stuff.

Its not that difficult to comprehend. Most of the players we’ve brought in under Brands are far better than the ones they replaced, therefore the squad has improved, but it’s still not good enough. Why is that such a difficult concept?

James Allan Docuoure Godfrey Richarlison Digne Mina are all far better than anyone out of the 17/18 squad that they replaced. It doesn’t mean they’re perfect footballers though, we were still a bottom half/mid table premier eagle outfit with no European football and FFP constraints when we brought them in. So we made a step forward yes but not enough yet.

There’s still players like Keane Coleman Davies Siggurdson who are not premier league level at all. When you add some of the poor players that have arrived like Delph Iwobi Gomes and Bernard to that lot then there’s still a group of players who are not good enough.

What then exacerbates the problem is that the best players always have to be fit and at top form otherwise the poorer players are straight in which has happened too often this season.

I don’t think Brands or Ancelotti are perfect or have not made mistakes, far from it. But
In comparison to the absolute Armageddon that was Koeman and Walsh bringing in the likes of Siggurdson Schneiderlin and Ashley Williams then I’d much rather have these two.

I feel we are improving but at the moment we’re still not good enough and indeed not very good at all. You can either get angry at the people trying to turn us round, or get angry at the ones who have put us in this mess. I think we’ll be better next season and the season after. If we’re not though and we start regressing then sure we need to change. We’re not at that point yet though, Ancelotti and Brands clearly have the backing of the board, so whilst I accept there can be criticism of both of them, and criticism that the pace of improvement isn’t quick enough, I can’t get on board with those who seem to want to throw one of the other (they don’t seem to mind which one) under the bus when they’re actually the first people who have done anything to try and turn us around since Martinez’s first season.

I’ll recognise that they’ve made mistakes and probably will continue to and give them a bit more time and support to see if they can continue to improve us rather than being pushed into a binary position by some who are just a bit over upset we took o her losses at home this season rather than away.

The Don, now, forever, always.

Best win % in our prem history, up there with the best managers in our entire history, brought in four players in the summer who are probably in the top 5 for player of the season votes. Won at Anfield, unbeaten in league derbies, wins at Emirates and WHL, quarter finals of both cups, challenged for Europe into May with a squad that had an injury crisis, turned DCL into an England international.

= some Everton fans wanting him fired and suggesting we bring in Bielsa, Graham Potter, Brendan Rodgers and claiming that Silva had more of a plan. Christ.

Best win % in our prem history, up there with the best managers in our entire history, brought in four players in the summer who are probably in the top 5 for player of the season votes. Won at Anfield, unbeaten in league derbies, wins at Emirates and WHL, quarter finals of both cups, challenged for Europe into May with a squad that had an injury crisis, turned DCL into an England international.

= some Everton fans wanting him fired and suggesting we bring in Bielsa, Graham Potter, Brendan Rodgers and claiming that Silva had more of a plan. Christ.
People cried for years that we needed a world class manager and then wanna sack the first 1 we get after 18months.

Blows my mind.

Its not that difficult to comprehend. Most of the players we’ve brought in under Brands are far better than the ones they replaced, therefore the squad has improved, but it’s still not good enough. Why is that such a difficult concept?

James Allan Docuoure Godfrey Richarlison Digne Mina are all far better than anyone out of the 17/18 squad that they replaced. It doesn’t mean they’re perfect footballers though, we were still a bottom half/mid table premier eagle outfit with no European football and FFP constraints when we brought them in. So we made a step forward yes but not enough yet.

There’s still players like Keane Coleman Davies Siggurdson who are not premier league level at all. When you add some of the poor players that have arrived like Delph Iwobi Gomes and Bernard to that lot then there’s still a group of players who are not good enough.

What then exacerbates the problem is that the best players always have to be fit and at top form otherwise the poorer players are straight in which has happened too often this season.

I don’t think Brands or Ancelotti are perfect or have not made mistakes, far from it. But
In comparison to the absolute Armageddon that was Koeman and Walsh bringing in the likes of Siggurdson Schneiderlin and Ashley Williams then I’d much rather have these two.

I feel we are improving but at the moment we’re still not good enough and indeed not very good at all. You can either get angry at the people trying to turn us round, or get angry at the ones who have put us in this mess. I think we’ll be better next season and the season after. If we’re not though and we start regressing then sure we need to change. We’re not at that point yet though, Ancelotti and Brands clearly have the backing of the board, so whilst I accept there can be criticism of both of them, and criticism that the pace of improvement isn’t quick enough, I can’t get on board with those who seem to want to throw one of the other (they don’t seem to mind which one) under the bus when they’re actually the first people who have done anything to try and turn us around since Martinez’s first season.

I’ll recognise that they’ve made mistakes and probably will continue to and give them a bit more time and support to see if they can continue to improve us rather than being pushed into a binary position by some who are just a bit over upset we took o her losses at home this season rather than away.
Give me a break. Moyes has leapfrogged us with 20 quid to spend and half a squad.

(We have to stick with Carlo, given he is a famous manager, but Brands can get stuffed)

_20210502_012115.webp
to be honest I always had this at the back of my mind thinking if he'd cut it... Football is always evolving.

I’ve never understood why football fans feel they have to obsessively stick up for certain managers whilst criticising others

I love Carlo as a person but as a manager he’s not doing a good job here, simple as that

forget his past. Do you think Spurs fans or even utd fans kept referencing Mourinho’s past triumphs when they were serving up the dog mess every weekend? No they wanted him out.

We are all clinging onto AC Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti but we’re not ever getting that here. He isn’t the type of manager you bring into to build a squad from scratch and that’s what is needed right now

This is coming from someone who admired Carlo for all his playing and managerial career - but this is a job too far for him and I don’t see him ever getting a big job again after this

Finally someone who is logical.

Next season, most people would still see the samw garbage brand of football served by the fraud Brands and relaxed Carlo. They would see that even by adding a couple of different players would still mean the majority of the players are the same. They would still ignore the fact that Carlo's motivational skills which may have worked 15 years ago are not working in 2021.

Mourinho and Carlo are history. The football has changed and you now need to motivate the millenials and 21st century born kids who do not have the same hard working habits as those from 1970s and 1980s.

Give me a break. Moyes has leapfrogged us with 20 quid to spend and half a squad.

(We have to stick with Carlo, given he is a famous manager, but Brands can get stuffed)

That West Ham squad has had loads of continuous investment window after window for a long time. I don’t think a few points in the league is ‘leapfrogging’ us either. There’s probably not a bigger fan of David Moyes than me so I know how good a job he has done.

That said though he’s in the position to cast aside Haller, Felipe Anderson, Yarmolenlo, Lanzini, Diop out of preference and he can still field a very good team. There’s about 100 mill of assets there that Moyes just didn’t want and was able to move out the club at a loss or just not use because he had better options available. Carlo can’t do that. He’s had to make use of a load of plyers he’d rather not because we can’t afford to take a loss on them and there’s no one better to replace them with. I’m sure in an ideal world Carlo would love to scrap Siggurdson Keane Coleman Davies Gomes and buy his own players but he can’t, at least not all at once.

Personally I think we would have more home wins with fans but also less away wins.

I think we are where we are because we have to just be honest with ourselves.

We have suffered key injuries at key moments to our key players which all teams have but ultimately other teams squads are better and their best XI are too. It's no shame.

I think we'll look back on January as a missed opportunity to bring in better but we are still in the fight and 5 games to go, 15 points to fight for.

Signed off for a few hours, not going to read back, just wonder has anyone mentioned Eddie Howe tonight? Or Scott Parker??
I'm not ready to replace Carlo, it's too early, we'd instantly lose James and Allan if he goes and he needs to replace a lot of deadwood. If we're still playing like this deep into next season I'd start to consider Parker. I think he's got a bright future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back