Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing he clearly gets another season. However, I would like to see us having something we are working towards. Youth players aren’t featuring, style of football (considering we have some actual ballers) is poor. Everything feels like a manager having piece a side together with a chronic injury list - it’s all pragmatic football. It’s worked against the better sides but we have been a disgrace against sides we are clearly stronger than

I wouldn't want him gone at all but I'm not satisfied either, all things considered.

I wonder at his level of hunger and motivation when all is said and done. At the guest lecture he gave recently, he said he likes to embed himself in the culture of the club he was with rather than work to change it. Ours is a culture of mediocrity so seeking to embed himself within that is only going to yield more of the same.

He is right to call out the attitude of the team/players on occasion, but I'm concerned that he, Ancelotti, can't do more to inspire them, and/or why the players seem so continuously tense, timid, and passive on the pitch if he is trying to.

It doesn't make sense at all to get rid of him, or to consider it as that would do us more harm than good and potentially see us drift into a downward spiral which could have serious consequences. But we can't give him a free pass either. I'm disappointed with how the season has gone in the main. The "football" on offer is some of the very worst I've seen from us in recent times. He can't make a silk purse from a sows ear but after 16 months I thought we'd at least be near to being cohesive and organised, and be able to have enough about us to play with purpose and intent going forward. We don't look like that team to me.

I do wonder if he is the right fit. I've thought for a long time that we need a very strong personality to lead us, someone who would come here and rule the club from the top down with an iron fist in the SAF mould. Looking at the limpness and timidity of some of the players/performances, I really do think we need that vocal leadership from the dug-out. That isn't a panacea for everything of course, and you have to be a good manager in all of the required areas also, but God we need something that bit extra.

It doesn't have to be a start all over again job for someone but under a succession of managers I see the same worrying trends. The other big problem is the catastrophic recruitment. It could yet be that Brands will be the one costing Ancelotti his job whereas Brands' impact in his job to date has been largely negative in my opinion. A new contract for Brands is bad news I feel. They both have to change but the bigger problem is Brands.

I do wonder (and I have to say there is more than a wishful thinking here) that part of our issue is we reach this point, at a similar time with most managers and that we need to persevere with a manager to get through this?

In work places patterns emerge, and the pattern learned is a reset is needed and a new manager arrives.

I cling to the hope that if the manager is kept, some more players are bought in, the culture changes.

Its really difficult, I felt for a long time it was very telling that we wouldnt win away, particularly at the top teams to how we had a poor mentality. This season we have won at Anfield, Emirates, Spurs and Leicester as well as fighting back from 2 behind at OT. So something is there.

I am genuineky quite mystified about the form at Goodison.

Thankfully the club isn't going to listen to the small silly gang of cringeworthy bellend Evertonains on social media who have the patience and attention span of a toddler. The manager is not getting sacked just because of another mediocre season when we're as safe as houses. Carlo Ancelotti is here for the long haul. Deal with it.

I know it was a strategy but given our position and injuries not adding to the squad was a mistake in my opinion. I am not happy with these performances either and yes carlo should rightly be criticised but talk of sacking yet another manager whilst the same players stroll around the pitch every game just isn't on really.

At some point we have to take the hit in the short term for hopeful long term gains.
I’m just hoping that some serious work is going on behind the scenes for activity in the summer...

I do wonder (and I have to say there is more than a wishful thinking here) that part of our issue is we reach this point, at a similar time with most managers and that we need to persevere with a manager to get through this?

In work places patterns emerge, and the pattern learned is a reset is needed and a new manager arrives.

I cling to the hope that if the manager is kept, some more players are bought in, the culture changes.

Its really difficult, I felt for a long time it was very telling that we wouldnt win away, particularly at the top teams to how we had a poor mentality. This season we have won at Anfield, Emirates, Spurs and Leicester as well as fighting back from 2 behind at OT. So something is there.

yes we do, We need to build on something and while the football isn't pretty now he has us fighting for Europe with 5 games to go, We could have gotten it earlier but a combination of players being bottle jobs and strange manager decisions have let us down.

The biggest problem for me is that there is no set system to how we play. He is a very defensive manager in the mould of a Moyes, Allardyce, Mourinho. Our main aim is not to concede, he doesn't trust younger players. We aim to keep it tight and hope a moment of quality from James, Digne, Siggy will be finished off. Then keep it tight. He's always had better players before, so there were more moments of quality and the underlying tactic of defend first goes un-noticed. We've fallen back into the trap as we did under Silva of believing we are a ball playing team, but we are not good enough, we are too slow, we pass it around safely and give the other team loads of time to get back and get sorted. Then we are not good enough to pick out the killer pass. With two fast forwards such as DCL and Richie the easiest ball is down the channel, how many times did Mings or Konsa just play it down the side for Watkins to chase and cause havoc. That was what big Dunc did when he took over from Silva get the ball forwards quicker and then join the attack when there's holes to go through.

LOL @ bad weapons in here thinking we’re binning Carlo - have a word with yourselves

and be ashamed your a vulture
Yep, That defo wont be happening and i dont get why you seen to mostly have the same few saying it, they seem to be happy with having a different boss every year, we need stability, the boss to buy who he wants and for us to hopefully be better, we have so many bad players Carlo somehow has to get rid of, but i am not sure if he will even get rid of some as i dont think he thinks like we do, IE get rid of delph etc, His subs are so very strange a lot of the time though, But Carlo has worked Miracle's doing what he has done with this squad to get us were we are, but every so called game in hand we have had we always mess up when we know a win would have put us 4th/5th/6th etc at any one time

The most solid we have looked all season was when we had a back 4 of
Holgate—Keane—Mina—Godfrey

arguably our best performance was away at anfield.

he had all those players at the back available to him yesterday and went with the most inexperienced central defensive partnership.
That was the most disappointing and frustrating part for me.

ive given up expecting anything from us offensively, we are one of the worst teams in the league as an attacking unit and absolutely woeful to watch.

We've managed to maintain our usual spot in the league despite fielding a team full of second raters at times. I'd have liked to see younger guys given a chance more this season to test them out. We'll be buying big again in the summer but I'd be sorry to think Iwobi or Gomes would still be starting matches next year.

I do wonder if he is the right fit. I've thought for a long time that we need a very strong personality to lead us, someone who would come here and rule the club from the top down with an iron fist in the SAF mould. Looking at the limpness and timidity of some of the players/performances, I really do think we need that vocal leadership from the dug-out. That isn't a panacea for everything of course, and you have to be a good manager in all of the required areas also, but God we need something that bit extra.
Wasn't Ronald Koeman supposed to be that kind of manager?

I am genuinely not mystified at all re the form at goodison. We play with s total lack of intensity. I cannot understand how we expect to get a positive result.

A definition of madness is to do the same thing time after time and expect a different result and so I am mystified re carlo Ancelotti

This team has no discernible identity- it plays like it is - a hotch potch of lads put together by a number of different managers with very few of them sharing complementary characteristics.

Take the two lads up top - if you put them up for sale you’d get decent money -both young with reasonable goal scoring records but when do they ever link up? looks like they try as best they can not to pass to each other as they both see themselves as competing for the CF position.

Move into midfield- if there was a prize for employing the most one paced midfielders we’d be laughing. Gomes siggy bernard iwobi - all wholly unsuited to the league. I watched gomes (bar an absolute peach of a crossfield pass to unfortunately iwobi) continually over/under hit passes last night - pitiful distribution for someone whose in the side to do just that. Allan who i think had one of his worse games simply had too much ground to cover - you simply can’t play gomes and siggy together in a three man midfield in this premier league - if carlo hasn’t figured that out by now then he needs to clock on pdq.

Not sure i even want to mention iwobi - i see there’s a worst signing ever thread - if he’s not in the mix…. A creator who can’t create, a wide man with no pace, a footballer with no football brain. When he burst down the right in acres of space last night to then chip it to their centre half I expected nothing less. We were(and still are) desperate for a wide man who can run with the ball - someone like a zaha. How did brands end up with this guy - truly staggering.

Then the defence- he tried his more mobile centre halfs last night and they were bullied by watkins. If he plays his experienced CHs then we can only play camped on the edge of our box for fear of the lack of pace being exposed but doing that exposes our midfield who simply (doucoure aside - and its no coincidence our downturn in form has coincided with his injury) can’t get up and down the pitch leaving the two lads up top peeing in the wind.

All in all a mess - i’m not advocating ancelotti out but it’s concerning- we bought allan doucoure and james for the here and now - bought at 28/29 - we simply haven’t got years waiting for the team to gel as they’ll be past it by then. Transfer strategy this summer needs to be light years of whats gone on previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back