2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like 90% of games we have lost there is somebody to blame, an individual error, very rarely do teams score blammos like that Burnley game where they just scored 2 utter bangers, most of the time we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Now whether The Don can stop our players being dumb asf is another issue, but lets see.
The booing will stop the mistakes mate. Players will be too scared to be tits.

I’m genuinely interested in finding out if you put this kind of spin on a string of awful results when we were losing under Fat Sam, Silva and Koeman?

Your posts strike me as some who’s blinded by Carlo’s feats from yesteryear. Sure he won the big prizes but only when he had world class players in nearly every position.

The players we bring in this summer will still make the same mistakes our current donkeys do.

I admire your optimism but I just don’t see how Carlo brings back trophies to Goodison unless he’s backed, oil club style. Because realistically we will spend £100m at the absolute most this summer. And that gets you one good player these days.

The worry for me is Brands staying on - something had to have changed ahead of this summer for me to have any faith in the winds of change blowing through GP's doors.

I've criticised Carlo at times mainly his constant tinkering with the team but im under no illusion that we have a large number of one paced cowards in the squad who haven't any fight or ambition in them.

The problem is we are slowly getting rid of the Walsh crap but Brands has been shovelling more of his own into the squad - sicknotes in Delph and Gbamin will be lucky to play 5 games between them next season, Benard, Iwobi, Gomes.

There is just no direction at the top of the club, Moshiri's biggest mistake was not punting Kenwright from the start and appointing someone like Dein who knows how to run a successful club.

You had Kenwright doing the contract extension with Brands - yet apparently the bloke is a token figurehead these days with little to no influence??

He doesn't seem happy right now but it's not the manager who needs replacing. I'm starting to wonder if the money he wants/needs to spend just isn't there.

I’m genuinely interested in finding out if you put this kind of spin on a string of awful results when we were losing under Fat Sam, Silva and Koeman?

Your posts strike me as some who’s blinded by Carlo’s feats from yesteryear. Sure he won the big prizes but only when he had world class players in nearly every position.

The players we bring in this summer will still make the same mistakes our current donkeys do.

I admire your optimism but I just don’t see how Carlo brings back trophies to Goodison unless he’s backed, oil club style. Because realistically we will spend £100m at the absolute most this summer. And that gets you one good player these days.

For someone so not into Carlo as Everton boss your account on here is quite paradoxical.

Because that's the gist of my point. If everything I said you deducted I wanted 26 new players and 26 sold.

Not that he lambasts the "spirit" on the pitch then plays Gomes and/or Sigurdsson when it is clear they are a large part of the problem. Refuses to bench Richarlison who twice threw a strop with teammates when he couldn't take a set piece.

Honestly feel like you responded to a different comment because yours makes no sense
No mate, you are claiming Carlo keeps playing the players who make mistakes.

He has no choice unless he can get a new squad

You named 3 players there, look at every thread on here, there is a least somebody calling them rubbish, so that means he either gets rid of every player that nobody likes, which is all 26 or he has to play these players.

No mate, you are claiming Carlo keeps playing the players who make mistakes.

He has no choice unless he can get a new squad

You named 3 players there, look at every thread on here, there is a least somebody calling them rubbish, so that means he either gets rid of every player that nobody likes, which is all 26 or he has to play these players.
So Tom Davies being in the bench and seemingly frozen out to accommodate both Gylfi and Gomes who fail to deliver 9 times out of 10 is a way to show that their lackluster play has repercussions? Because, like you said with your Carlo quotes before, if he keeps calling out a lack of spirit of whatever every single time after a loss but does absolutely nothing to fix or change it then he's kind of the problem too.

So Tom Davies being in the bench and seemingly frozen out to accommodate both Gylfi and Gomes who fail to deliver 9 times out of 10 is a way to show that their lackluster play has repercussions? Because, like you said with your Carlo quotes before, if he keeps calling out a lack of spirit of whatever every single time after a loss but does absolutely nothing to fix or change it then he's kind of the problem too.
Your problem, which is the same problem we ALL have is that Carlo doesn't play the side YOU want.

TomTom has improved massively this season, but for me, Gomes and Iceberg, at their best, are still vastly better players.

Earlier on in the season everybody said Holgate was our best CB, now people want him sold to League Two.

Carlo isn't as reactive as us fans, he looks at things differently.

He picks the side he thinks can get a result, the margins between defeat and victory are so fine most of the time.

So people rage when he plays Gomes, people rage when their golden boy Mina doesn't play, people rage when Iwobi starts, despite Bernie being no better.

As I say, he picks a side he thinks can win, if he was to drop every player that has let us down this season, there wouldn't be many left.

I mean look at Pickford, everybody wanted him sold in January, but he's been very, very good for a while now, Carlo takes away emotion, he sees them in training all week, he knows whos on it and who isn't.

Im not saying he doesn't make "mistakes", but I do realise why he keeps playing players that some of us don't want to ever play for us again.

They’re good lads. Or are you jealous they get paid for talking about a passion of theirs?

They were not criticising Carlo. What they said is what most intelligent fans are saying. Get Carlo top drawer players and he will deliver.

But we won’t. We never do. We need 5-6 players and to sell 5 or 6. That isn’t happening. Carlo isn’t a long term project manager. He’s a short term head coach to bring quick success.

We can bury our heads in the sand and attack anyone who doesn’t pretend that Carlo is the best manager ever but this simply isn’t true - some people here are acting like Kopites. They worship their managers for no reason before they’ve even kicked a ball.

I support Everton and have done since 1977. I don’t support Carlo, this isn’t Carlo FC. We need a project manager and to think long term.

When we’re serving up the same Big Sam football under Carlo at Goodison next season, with Siggy just standing around doing nothing and Carlo looking out of ideas in front of the dugout, the fans will make their feelings known.

I think Carlo does see this as a longer-term project. You're also right that we do need better players.

Ancelotti's made a fair few mistakes as well though. As other posters have said, we'd all still want Godfrey, Digne, DCL, Richarlison, Allan to be starting (and in the form he's in, we ain't getting a better GK than Pickford realistically) next season.

Well, that's 5 of 10 outfield players we'd be happy to see in the team. It's not totally, totally like we need to rip everything up. And these players have won some big games this season too - so we can't just credit all of that to Ancelotti.

Basically, Carlo's cocked up quite a bit recently, in our home games at least. His set up has been crap, his tactics crap, his changes worse. But, quite a few of the options he has aren't good enough - we know this.

However, they definitely should be good enough to string basic moves and passes together, or run with the ball. None of which we do unless James is fit and firing. So I think the manager does take a fair bit of blame for that too.

Your problem, which is the same problem we ALL have is that Carlo doesn't play the side YOU want.

TomTom has improved massively this season, but for me, Gomes and Iceberg, at their best, are still vastly better players.

Earlier on in the season everybody said Holgate was our best CB, now people want him sold to League Two.

Carlo isn't as reactive as us fans, he looks at things differently.

He picks the side he thinks can get a result, the margins between defeat and victory are so fine most of the time.

So people rage when he plays Gomes, people rage when their golden boy Mina doesn't play, people rage when Iwobi starts, despite Bernie being no better.

As I say, he picks a side he thinks can win, if he was to drop every player that has let us down this season, there wouldn't be many left.

I mean look at Pickford, everybody wanted him sold in January, but he's been very, very good for a while now, Carlo takes away emotion, he sees them in training all week, he knows whos on it and who isn't.

Im not saying he doesn't make "mistakes", but I do realise why he keeps playing players that some of us don't want to ever play for us again.

My argument against the particular thing with Davies is balance, mate.

I'll argue until the cows come home for Gylfi in terms of, when he's on form, what he can offer. He's a moments player - always has been - but outside of James, we don't have anyone capable of what he can do (in very small flashes admittedly).

The issue for me with certain things Carlo keeps doing is it's kind of the same mistakes we're seeing over and over.

The Davies example - he's been pretty good/decent at one specific job. It's also a job that makes the most of what he's decent at and negates his weaknesses. Him playing that role would also allow Allan to do his stuff. Yet, Carlo has decided he wants Allan, who really doesn't seem suited to being a '6' at all, to play in the holding role, and to compound it, throws in two blokes who can't run around him. And, tbf, it was actually three, like it was in the Arsenal game, until James got injured.

Then you look at how we attack. We have no width from the actual 'wide players' (because we don't have one single winger in the squad anyway), so it has to come from the full-backs. Digne - sound, he can get up and down. But Coleman can't, and we know that, and he knows that, and Carlo and every man and his dog knows it. But what he can do is, if you push him 10/15 yards up the pitch, still have an impact going forward because he doesn't have as much ground to cover and, with a three-man defence, with pace in Holgate and Godfrey, that space could be covered.

At home, when we need to get forward, surely that would have been a sensible solution? And with Mina (or Keane) in that 3, it helps aerially.

Lastly, and this isn't specific to Carlo as it actually started under Koeman, but for god's sake, we need to sort it out with the CBs. They're constantly asked to keep swapping which side they play on. Holgate is god awful as the LCB, because all of his passing is just done by chopping back onto his right foot. Holgate has looked at his best on the right side of defence, and Godfrey has looked at his best on the left. So simplify it, if you really do have to play them both in a two, or in the three, rather than the constant faffing.

I think what we've seen this season is when this team and these players are told to do something exactly in a certain way, and everything is simplified (for lack of a better word), they can do it. Well, ultimately, Carlo should have seen that too by now. There's no way he can escape blame for a run of 1 home win in 10 games when we've played 2/3 decent sides.

I think Carlo does see this as a longer-term project. You're also right that we do need better players.

Ancelotti's made a fair few mistakes as well though. As other posters have said, we'd all still want Godfrey, Digne, DCL, Richarlison, Allan to be starting (and in the form he's in, we ain't getting a better GK than Pickford realistically) next season.

Well, that's 5 of 10 outfield players we'd be happy to see in the team. It's not totally, totally like we need to rip everything up. And these players have won some big games this season too - so we can't just credit all of that to Ancelotti.

Basically, Carlo's cocked up quite a bit recently, in our home games at least. His set up has been crap, his tactics crap, his changes worse. But, quite a few of the options he has aren't good enough - we know this.

However, they definitely should be good enough to string basic moves and passes together, or run with the ball. None of which we do unless James is fit and firing. So I think the manager does take a fair bit of blame for that too.
Pickford
? Godfrey ? Digne
Allan
Doucoure ?
James
DCL Richarlison
Still at least 3 gaps to fill in his favoured Xmas tree formation. In addition to this I’d like a pacy RW so we could switch to a 4-3-3 formation.
Once again it depends on our outs. Kean, Delph, Iwobi, Gomes, Bernard and Holgate sold, would hopefully net us 60-70m and save us approx 400- 500k a week in wages.

Pickford
? Godfrey ? Digne
Allan
Doucoure ?
James
DCL Richarlison
Still at least 3 gaps to fill in his favoured Xmas tree formation. In addition to this I’d like a pacy RW so we could switch to a 4-3-3 formation.
Once again it depends on our outs. Kean, Delph, Iwobi, Gomes, Bernard and Holgate sold, would hopefully net us 60-70m and save us approx 400- 500k a week in wages.

I know we need better players. But I don't buy that he couldn't get the lads we have to be able to string some decent passes together.

We generally go into every home game and don't look like we have a clue how to attack, unless James is playing. And then, if he's having an off day, or teams double up on him, we're limited. If he's not available, then we're losing.

Away - we've got a structure that seems to work, just about - we aren't convincing, but as I mentioned in another post, it's like their jobs are simplified.

In summary, I don't think better players (which we obviously need) are going to guarantee us being better than what we are right now unless we start to see some form of pattern of play and structure worked on.

It would be crazy to get rid of Ancelotti, as someone said, we have never fired the manager for an 8th place in the PL.

1620149220458.webp

On the other hand, I think some tend to defend and almost god-fear Ancelotti regardless of achievements. As another here said: the team with the best players tends to win their matches. Football is easy. But that also applies to the manager. The managers of the teams with the best players tend to have the best track record.

Di Matteo has actually won the CL, and has a better track record than Bielsa. But you have to be pretty hard on the bottle to think that Di Matteo is a better manager than Bielsa. You can not assess the merit lists of managers absolutely, but instead relatively. In addition, you must have context.

We will never, or at least in the near future, have the best players. If we are to compete against the best teams, we must create a team where the whole is more than the sum of its parts. That is what Ancelotti must create, and it is unbelievably difficult. There are something very few managers can do, and they are the world class managers. This season, Ancelotti has performed just as expected. That's the truth. So far he has not given us any x factor except his status and his personality.

I do wonder (and I have to say there is more than a wishful thinking here) that part of our issue is we reach this point, at a similar time with most managers and that we need to persevere with a manager to get through this?

In work places patterns emerge, and the pattern learned is a reset is needed and a new manager arrives.

I cling to the hope that if the manager is kept, some more players are bought in, the culture changes.

Its really difficult, I felt for a long time it was very telling that we wouldnt win away, particularly at the top teams to how we had a poor mentality. This season we have won at Anfield, Emirates, Spurs and Leicester as well as fighting back from 2 behind at OT. So something is there.

I am genuineky quite mystified about the form at Goodison.
I do wonder whether Carlo was ever a long term manager to be honest. A
The worry for me is Brands staying on - something had to have changed ahead of this summer for me to have any faith in the winds of change blowing through GP's doors.

I've criticised Carlo at times mainly his constant tinkering with the team but im under no illusion that we have a large number of one paced cowards in the squad who haven't any fight or ambition in them.

The problem is we are slowly getting rid of the Walsh crap but Brands has been shovelling more of his own into the squad - sicknotes in Delph and Gbamin will be lucky to play 5 games between them next season, Benard, Iwobi, Gomes.

There is just no direction at the top of the club, Moshiri's biggest mistake was not punting Kenwright from the start and appointing someone like Dein who knows how to run a successful club.

You had Kenwright doing the contract extension with Brands - yet apparently the bloke is a token figurehead these days with little to no influence
Kenwright will have no power. Rolled out the ceremonially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back