2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be crazy to get rid of Ancelotti, as someone said, we have never fired the manager for an 8th place in the PL.

View attachment 126262

On the other hand, I think some tend to defend and almost god-fear Ancelotti regardless of achievements. As another here said: the team with the best players tends to win their matches. Football is easy. But that also applies to the manager. The managers of the teams with the best players tend to have the best track record.

Di Matteo has actually won the CL, and has a better track record than Bielsa. But you have to be pretty hard on the bottle to think that Di Matteo is a better manager than Bielsa. You can not assess the merit lists of managers absolutely, but instead relatively. In addition, you must have context.

We will never, or at least in the near future, have the best players. If we are to compete against the best teams, we must create a team where the whole is more than the sum of its parts. That is what Ancelotti must create, and it is unbelievably difficult. There are something very few managers can do, and they are the world class managers. This season, Ancelotti has performed just as expected. That's the truth. So far he has not given us any x factor except his status and his personality.
god we are so bang average yet we're demanding Europe every season.

It would be crazy to get rid of Ancelotti, as someone said, we have never fired the manager for an 8th place in the PL.

View attachment 126262

On the other hand, I think some tend to defend and almost god-fear Ancelotti regardless of achievements. As another here said: the team with the best players tends to win their matches. Football is easy. But that also applies to the manager. The managers of the teams with the best players tend to have the best track record.

Di Matteo has actually won the CL, and has a better track record than Bielsa. But you have to be pretty hard on the bottle to think that Di Matteo is a better manager than Bielsa. You can not assess the merit lists of managers absolutely, but instead relatively. In addition, you must have context.

We will never, or at least in the near future, have the best players. If we are to compete against the best teams, we must create a team where the whole is more than the sum of its parts. That is what Ancelotti must create, and it is unbelievably difficult. There are something very few managers can do, and they are the world class managers. This season, Ancelotti has performed just as expected. That's the truth. So far he has not given us any x factor except his status and his personality.
We have sacked managers for finishing 8th. Big Sam hasn’t shut up about it

Pickford
? Godfrey ? Digne
Allan
Doucoure ?
James
DCL Richarlison
Still at least 3 gaps to fill in his favoured Xmas tree formation. In addition to this I’d like a pacy RW so we could switch to a 4-3-3 formation.
Once again it depends on our outs. Kean, Delph, Iwobi, Gomes, Bernard and Holgate sold, would hopefully net us 60-70m and save us approx 400- 500k a week in wages.
These are the same dilemmas our last 4/5 managers have had. We might sell 1/2 at the most because in reality we will only get2/4 in at the most. We’ve had deadwood for years and Carlo’s deadwood is probably better than some previously.
If he is a great manager he has to do better with what we have, or is he just great with top top players, if so he’s no use here.

He has a better squad than Sam and Silva had.

I wouldn't get rid of Ancelotti in a million years but if im honest im not sure much would change either way if we did. The fact we've had all these managers but always slip into mediocrity tells me they don't make much difference to our fortunes. Some things are set in stone, Everton being Everton is one of them.

Tbf that wasn't why he was sacked though was it.

It was because his football was as painful to the eyes as that scene in Utopia with the salt, bleach, and spoon.

He was sacked cos Mosh only wanted him for 6 months anyrate. The calculation was a simple one, (when he panicked), another few million to a sacked manager, or losing £100m from relegation.

We still have something to play for in May so that has made it better than quite a few recent seasons.
The frustration is we should be doing much better than 'something to play for' considering where we'd got ourselves.

We can point to, and agree on, the caveats, there's plenty of them.

But we can't just put all the issues down to the players, because they aren't all down to them. Neither are they all down to Brands, and neither are they all down to Ancelotti. But they all take their share of the blame.

1 home win in 10 games.

IIRC, we've taken 6 points from a possible 30 at home in 2021.

That's ludicrously bad, and Ancelotti shoulders his share of the issues.

So the frustration comes that there does seem to be, as another poster has put it, some kind of awe/god-fearing thing that it can't possibly be Carlo's fault in any way. But the way he's set us up in some of those matches, and what he's then tried to do to change it, even with the options he may or may not have, hasn't been up to scratch, Saturday included. And it's ultimately these games that have cost us.

I do, however, refuse to believe that our players couldn't possibly knock it around at the back like West Ham do, and play out like they do.

Craig Dawson and Angelo Ogbonna and Mark Noble aren't better at that than Godfrey, Allan and Holgate, for example.

We genuinely do look properly clueless at times and, considering we've been trying to play that way at home for 17 months, that's a bit of a worry

I have utter faith in him. I also firmly believe that money will be spent on a few players that Carlo and Brands agree on, with probably a few lower ranked ones, a'la Godders.

And quite a few jokers will be looking for another club.

I seem to remember certain fans being unhappy with clipperty-Klopp during his first season, don’t think they finished too high up the table either. It would be scandalous to get of Ancelotti at the moment.

I seem to remember certain fans being unhappy with clipperty-Klopp during his first season, don’t think they finished too high up the table either. It would be scandalous to get of Ancelotti at the moment.

They got to two finals didn’t they? I don’t think their fans were unhappy with him tbh.

I wouldn't get rid of Ancelotti in a million years but if im honest im not sure much would change either way if we did. The fact we've had all these managers but always slip into mediocrity tells me they don't make much difference to our fortunes. Some things are set in stone, Everton being Everton is one of them.
You make a really good point here and that’s the most depressing thing about it all.

Carlo isn’t exactly ending his managerial career on a high. Napoli and then here at Everton where we’re not close to winning anything and playing terrible football at the same time.

His latter years in the game are just fizzling out like a cheap firework.

I’m convinced now he’s here for the dollar. Sure he loves football, I think. But people saying he will walk - not a chance, he’s earning a fortune here and it’s a comfortable last payday before he retires and he knows we won’t ever sack him because we haven’t had a manager with his CV for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back