Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
More or less said in the press conference we're sh!te when we try to open up and play on the front foot.
The fella knows. He's managed at the top table for 25 years. Its ridiculous to suggest he doesnt.
Pointless saying anymore until the transfer window this summer.
The question is how much of that is down to the set up though isn't it. I mean yes, there's no argument that under him, when we've tried to play an open game we've looked hopeless, but that isn't necessarily evidence that we can't possibly do it. Many of the same players did manage to play on the front foot under Silva for example. I appreciate that this means the hard of thinking will say I think Silva was a better manager, but hopefully you're not one of those.

He needs CB RB CM AM GK at minimum.

We can probably generate £100mil in sales towards it.

There has to be a big sweep of the broom.

I really hope this is true. A pragmatic little fixing job here and there will get us to 8th again next Summer. Spurs and Arsenal might be the same as us and not really improve but Chelsea Man U Liverpool and Man City will all be stronger. Leicester are settled. And there will be another West Ham / Wolves surprise package - maybe Leeds? So the top 8 will again be really difficult, and if we scrape Europa League we won't have made any progress IMO

He's essentially done what Sam Allardyce did: started at the back and improved our defensive organisation. For reference, we've gone from conceding 16 goals from set pieces in 18/19 (the most in the league), to 15 last season (joint 3rd), to seven this season. Providing we don't see a load bundled in during the last three games, that's a huge improvement in at least one of the major parts of futbol.

Allardyce shipped 4 away at Spurs and 5 at Arsenal. We’ve never looked like conceding that number under Ancelotti this season ever.

I don't get all of these done a great job shouts at all. Love the guy and he will undoubtedly do great as we progress into the future and he builds his own team but to say he has done great this season is an over statement. It has just been average this season consisting of some good and long overdue results and a hell of a lot of shockingly poor ones. Our home form is absolutely embarrassing. 1 home game we have won out of the last 10 i.e in 2021. That is what has cost us a place in Europe. The sooner this season is over the better for me. Cannot remember the last time i enjoyed watching us play.

I look forward to Carlo's future teams and performances in the seasons to come when he doesn't have to carry dead weight around his ankles.
The squad is poor, we have no players anyone wants. Silva was taking us down, Kirman was taking us down, Martinez was taking us down. The players are collectively poor. Top ten is an incredible achievement with Iwobi, Davies, Bernard, Andre Gomes, Siggurdsson, Pickford, King.

I think a lot of teams would like Godfrey and the current version of Pickford. Anyone see how bad the great Allisson of the mighty RS was last night?

Carlo's not for turning -- I'll be very surprised if he changes his gameplan much for the visit of the dangerous Sheffield Utd. Thing is, if he does change tack, we go on the front foot and we win well he'll be in for criticism for leaving that approach too late in the season for games at GP.
I mean, we've tried to go on the front foot in the last few home games and in general failed spectacularly.

The only good performance was against Spurs and that was blighted by defensive mistakes.

The tactics/systems/set up in most of them have been awful.

The question is how much of that is down to the set up though isn't it. I mean yes, there's no argument that under him, when we've tried to play an open game we've looked hopeless, but that isn't necessarily evidence that we can't possibly do it. Many of the same players did manage to play on the front foot under Silva for example. I appreciate that this means the hard of thinking will say I think Silva was a better manager, but hopefully you're not one of those.

But it wasnt succesfully on the front foot under silva. We were in the bottom 3 of the time of his sacking. Not very successful that.

And we are then back to the "we need better players".
Football management isn't about going out and buying a squad full of superstars, it's about getting the most out of what you have. There's a lot of players there that we rightly don't like (Gomez, Gylfi etc etc etc) even Richarlson is taking a lot of well deserved stick, but can you really say that any of them are terrible players? or are they good players playing some terrible football? No direction, no tactics and all that is down to the manager.. if it isn't, then what exactly does a manager do for his money? I think we've got a decent (if ill fitting) first team, and we should be playing better football, but we're not, not even close and have shown no sign of any sort of improvement over a whole season.. if anything, we're getting worse.
Again, I love Carlo and don't want him sacked, but I'm not having 'it's all the players fault', because it simply isn't.

Great question.
Yes I have a doubt particularly if an old flame like Milan came calling.
However on balance I'm more inclined to think that Carlo believes in the project and wants to be a massive part of the renaissance of a once great club.
Having read his book I actually believe that or at the very least want to believe that.
I think that he is a loyal and principled man.
Yes I like him as a man and want him to be successful for us but up to now he makes go from yes to — — erm — — not sure - every other game, ie, after West Ham yes we’re getting there,to last night Ah come on Carlo you must do better than that!!

But it wasnt succesfully on the front foot under silva. We were in the bottom 3 of the time of his sacking. Not very successful that.
That's a pretty reductive argument, so evidently I gave you too much credit. Obviously they couldn't do it every week, I never remotely suggested that. I'm saying it's not like it's something they're totally incapable of doing. We've won 4 games this season by more than a single goal - and only 1 of those this calendar year - compared to 10 games in Silva's first season. The point is that they are capable of opening up a bit more if given licence to do so, but we haven't really given them that licence.

Football management isn't about going out and buying a squad full of superstars, it's about getting the most out of what you have. There's a lot of players there that we rightly don't like (Gomez, Gylfi etc etc etc) even Richarlson is taking a lot of well deserved stick, but can you really say that any of them are terrible players? or are they good players playing some terrible football? No direction, no tactics and all that is down to the manager.. if it isn't, then what exactly does a manager do for his money? I think we've got a decent (if ill fitting) first team, and we should be playing better football, but we're not, not even close and have shown no sign of any sort of improvement over a whole season.. if anything, we're getting worse.
Again, I love Carlo and don't want him sacked, but I'm not having 'it's all the players fault', because it simply isn't.

That might be true if they had played for anyone in the past but they haven’t. They’ve been absolutely terrible for years to the point that they’ve seen two supposedly decent managers in Koeman and Silva fired. We’ve been absolutely dismantled at top 6 sides numerous times in recent seasons, had numerous embarrassing cup exits, and lost derbies in just about every way possible. All under different managers prior to Ancelotti. This group of players is a disgrace and has been for a long time.

If every Everton player was put up for sale tomorrow there wouldnt be a long queue of clubs who compete for honours on a regular basis. And we all know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back