Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful what you wish for.

Imagine the fuss if we got Dyche / Potter / Moyes / other flavour of the month in to replace and things didn't go smoothly.

Tbf, I've not seen you shouting for them. The forum would be dynamite, though lol.
Imagine the fuss if we got one of those names, and played the same style of football, got the same results and finished in the same place. There is no fuss becuase we have a manager who hasnt got an English sounding name who won trophies for Chelsea. If we had one of those managers now there would be a witch hunt.

It’s the ‘solid journeymen’ bit that does it for me. Both teams have their stars. Vardy Tielemans Barnes Maddison Ndidi/ James Digne Calvert Lewin Richalrison Allan

But what Leicester have is the likes of Perez, Iheanacho Albrighton Castagne Praet Mendy. Good solid players who can come in and cover for injuries and are actually very solid prem players themselves who can also push the starters.

We don’t have those players. We drop straight from our 5 or 6 stars to players who no other prem club might take Siggurdson Davies Gomes Coleman Keane Bernard. What’s more is our big names (like Richarlison) know that no matter how poor he plays no one is good enough to take his place.

A few more windows of recruitment moving the dross out and increasing competition and perhaps we’ll be at the level Leicester are. You can’t just magic up squad depth and quality though no matter how good a manager you are.
This is true. the difference between our best players and the rest is so big there should be a 'Mind The Gap' sign at Goodison

Imagine the fuss if we got one of those names, and played the same style of football, got the same results and finished in the same place. There is no fuss becuase we have a manager who hasnt got an English sounding name who won trophies for Chelsea. If we had one of those managers now there would be a witch hunt.
And, if you hadn't already noticed, there is the start of one.

What makes you think that?
We spent a 4 month stretch not creating anything and ended up in Europe contention anyway. And I suspect you'll give me something about being solid but we were never that good defensively for me. I mean we're going to emd up about 10th in goals conceded. I just think we're a midtable team who with 3 games left might sneak Europe and that's above the level we've played at this year.

I don't think there is, just a lot of disappointment, to land an elite manager then to play awful football with strange team selections is very disappointing.
Ha, yeah, I know, I'm just messing. I think a few posters are loading bullets, but as you say most are a bit underwhelmed with how the season is ending. But expectations were briefly raised at least.

I said in the Villa match thread that it feels like we're limping over the line. Chuck in what felt like a good chance to push the top four it does feel a bit deflating.

Some odd team selections indeed on the face of it, but he's not the first manager to make team selections fans scratch their heads at. Maybe he goes with who showed in training. Maybe a few injuries are being managed (Mina going off early hints at it).

Just feels like he was handed a big bag of jigsaw pieces from several jigsaws, but never a complete set. Still, I keep saying, we'll only really know in time.

Ha, yeah, I know, I'm just messing. I think a few posters are loading bullets, but as you say most are a bit underwhelmed with how the season is ending. But expectations were briefly raised at least.

I said in the Villa match thread that it feels like we're limping over the line. Chuck in what felt like a good chance to push the top four it does feel a bit deflating.

Some odd team selections indeed on the face of it, but he's not the first manager to make team selections fans scratch their heads at. Maybe he goes with who showed in training. Maybe a few injuries are being managed (Mina going off early hints at it).

Just feels like he was handed a big bag of jigsaw pieces from several jigsaws, but never a complete set. Still, I keep saying, we'll only really know in time.
He's the one tasked with making the complete set. I don't know that he's got the lid to the box though. What's the end look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back