Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
See Dave, I think Carlo can get it right but not with these players. I do think that's a fair point.

But, we should be better than this after 17 months, and that isn't just on the players.

So not sure if Carlo was the wrong pick. I think we've seen improvements. But we've also seen a lot of things which have stagnated or have got worse.

If James isn't fit, which we accept as a trade off, then we have this really defensive way of playing but it can get us points. We can mix it up in certain games (Leeds away a good example) but generally we sit deep and that does seem to make us look more comfortable.

But if James is fit, we try to play expansive, but if he's not playing well, which he didn't today, we're basically out of ideas.

Said it all season long, too much of our play relies on inch-perfect passes because we don't sustain moves, we can't build pressure, it's just aimless and hit and hope.

We’re not going to bring in 11 top class players in the summer. That’s what he needs to be able to move us forward, a brand new squad. Therefore I do not think he is going to be able to take us forward.

I could think of £11.5 million reasons why he would mate...

He genuinely wouldn't.

Loves the club, loves the area, fans love him.

We won't be getting rid of Carlo, and I still think that's right.

But I can't say that atm his 17 months here have been anything resembling a success.

Our style of play ( lol ) is non-existent, we've got nothing to build on other than being able to camp and sit back away from home (only tested in empty grounds though) and we look genuinely clueless at times.

Needs more than just new players - but they are a big part of it.

Backwards?

Have we gone backwards? Because it seems to me like we have more points, scored more, conceded less.

But yeah, let’s focus on the negatives.

Every single fan has the right to be annoyed at our home form, it’s been abysmal.

But our squad is slow slow, even a seniors league would out run them. We’ve made positive steps in the transfer side, and without Ancelotti you don’t sign Allan or James who have been two of our best players this season.
This season we started well and ended terribly.

We’re not going to bring in 11 top class players in the summer. That’s what he needs to be able to move us forward, a brand new squad. Therefore I do not think he is going to be able to take us forward.

Unless FFP ends, we're forever going to be in the cycle of having 5-6 dross players that need shifting every summer.

Imagine if every manager said they cant get a team playing dootball or getting results against relegation fodder unless they have 11 of their own players!

Of course he needs his own players, but he also has to work with what he has - who bar maybe DCL has he improved?

I don't think we need 11 new players. I think we just need 3-4 of the right type of players and that will progress us. But I'm not sure if I have the faith he'll get them. I'm hoping he can.

It shouldn't be beyond him to implement a style of play, attacking structure. It has seemed that way but I do want him to see the chance to have it done with a few better players in, with real pace and dynamism and power.

Outfield players here, but Godfrey, Allan, Doucoure, James, Digne, Richarlison, Dom - the plan will be for all of them to be part of our starting XI next year. Whether it turns out like that remains to be seen but that will be the plan. Which is my point, it's not all on Carlo, and not all on the players, and not even all on Brands, but I think he can consider himself fortunate too.

Feller has never seen an absolute shambles of a squad. He's lost for words..

Look at some of the sides he’s managed, the players he’s signed.

Then he comes here and in the last 5 years we’ve paid

£28m Bolasie
£45m Sigurdsson
£25m Keane
£34m Iwobi
£28m Mina
£25m Gomes
£28m Tosun
£20m Walcott

On paper, that is spending which wins you trophies, gets you in contention. Honestly, for the first time, I genuinely feel he could walk away, and can you blame him?

We’re a poison chalice.

Ok. For examples.

When @davek disagrees with me, he gives a rationale and a reason for disagreement. I think he wrong, but he justifies his view.

To simply say “deluded” isn’t an argument and in my opinion, is a mild insult. Would you say that to someone’s face?
But it's hardly a reason to dangle the ban hammer on a football forum, squire. I think deluded is what you might say if you strongly disagree with the opinion of somebody or think their reasons for supporting something are not valid, ie I think people are deluded if they think Mason Holgate should be at the club after this summer.

There are plenty of things you point to as wrong with this squad. But I think what we’re missing most is a captain - in name or otherwise. A proper captain who knows how to lead, and not just by example.

There’s such a leadership vacuum on that pitch, and there has been for an absolute age.

I could think of £11.5 million reasons why he would mate...

You can read practically anything about the geezer and what you'll find is that we are unlikely to be able to buy him out of what is a club pretty much sculpted around his vision. That's obviously without the more broader issue here; do you not look at the last decade and start to wonder that maybe chucking money at the problem isn't the solution?

He genuinely wouldn't.

Loves the club, loves the area, fans love him.

We won't be getting rid of Carlo, and I still think that's right.

But I can't say that atm his 17 months here have been anything resembling a success.

Our style of play ( lol ) is non-existent, we've got nothing to build on other than being able to camp and sit back away from home (only tested in empty grounds though) and we look genuinely clueless at times.

Needs more than just new players - but they are a big part of it.

I dont think Carlo will go either he'll get next season minimum you feel but Im not having Biesla wouldnt come here - people said the same over Koeman + Ancelotti money ultimately talks.

I think the pressure will be on the club next season though we simply have to get better but I dont think we will - we look clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back