Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Carlo will know that next season we have to be far more positive. We've seen time and time again with these players that if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile. I think the 5 at the back 'system' that we've been playing really gives them an excuse to shirk any responsibility for getting on the front foot.

Given how limited they appear to be as a team, it's probably music to their ears to be given tactics as simplistic as keep it tight and see what you can get from set pieces, which must be what he's telling them because that is the sum of our ambition in every game.

The problem is, we're paying Carlo far too much money to accept that is all we should be serving up. I think many of us thought that the injuries to key players was to blame for our dramatic decline in performances from the first two months of the season, but we have more or less everyone back now and we play, by far, the worst football in league (confirmed as fact now thanks to Sheffield United).

He needs time and a huge turnover of players, but he needs to do better. Far far better.

No I agree, but the problem is they haven't really addressed the issues. Spending £45-50m on a couple of central midfielders and still being completely overrun in there almost every week just isn't really good enough. Both of them have looked good at times in their own right, but they just haven't really done what we needed them to do. Whether thats because we signed the wrong players or because he's not getting the tactics right (or both) is difficult to say, but it's pretty undeniable that it hasn't really worked the way we expected. If you'd told me this time last year that we'd sign 2 new central midfielders and James to play in front of them but would still be outplayed at home by the likes of Sheffield United, Newcastle and Fulham then I wouldn't have believed you.

It's actually quite depressing really. That gme hit me hard yesterday, harder than any of the other poor defeats.

I'm not trying to defend either, but yesterday we had a team with Sigurdsson, James and Coleman in at the same time. We are just carrying too many players and we really lack any punch in reacting to a game.

What really worries me, is I'm not sure it just gives solves with 2 more midfield players. I'm genuinely at a loss as to what the answer is. Sometimes a side at the bottom end of the league will get a smash and grab, but that hasn't been whats happening. We just fizzled out in the 2nd half.

The only cavaet I have, is I remember watching us at Wolves in 2004 and we were similarly limpless. I'd gone to most of the aways that season and we won 1 game (in the freezing cold at Portsmouth thanks to a Rooney goal you couldn't even see given it was so wet). We sort of rebuilt from that point by sticking with the manager.

I don't know. If I thought Doucoure and/or Allan were terrible, or have played terribly it would be better. But both have done ok. Just genuinely miffed today.

Finally, my personal view is that Richarlison is a malign effect on the squad. He's sulky, petulant and selfish, and thinks he's better than the rest, while his form is woeful. That must unsettle the squad atmosphere. Did you see the reaction of the other players that time (was it v Palace?) he insisted on taking the free kick with Siggy, James and Digne around the ball, then skied it into row Z??
Totally agree. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if he was the first one out the door. It's why I've been hoping King would have started ahead of him. I'd certainly take Ings in his place.

...and you know that you'll see more of those signings this summer.

The manager is not right for us; in retrospect he was never a manager for this type of job.

Having a nodding dog DoF who hands him no trouble but shoulders half the blame now on incoming players is ideal for Carlo.

I just feel the whole playing side of the club is a cynical manipulation of fans. The owner ultimately is the issue. He just cant make correct decisions...even on bringing in people to make correct decisions!

Moshiri's heart is in the right place but he's clueless when it comes to football.

I assume Kenwright had some stipulation that when he first bought 49% of the club he would be allowed to stay on however at this stage Moshiri needs to remove him by any loophole necessary and bring in someone like Dein who knows what he's doing regarding the running of a football club.

Give Dein control of the footballing matters and either remove Brands or give him a clear mandate of what he needs to do over the next 12 months and review his position at the end of next season.

There is no question of firing Ancelotti, but he must perform better next season. If not, I think Laurentiis' argument is pretty good: There's no point in having one of the highest paid managers in the league to achieve a middle position, when one who is far less paid can do the same.

I get what you're saying here but I always think this is a bit of a harsh/easy criticism to make. I think this just stems from the way the club goes about things, rather than the fanbase being impatient. Under Moyes and Martinez the fans were generally patient (in the grand scheme of things I mean, not necessarily individual games) but when Moshiri came in and started talking about small windows of opportunity and we started to spend huge amounts and buy players at their peak then it shifts the way people look at things. If we were clearly going for a long term strategy and the club made it clear we needed to be patient then I think people would be, but they won't be patient when we're clearly making short term plans.

EDIT I can see you addressed this yourself afterwards.

Yes. Moshiri is a big problem in all of this. He essentially brought out a paranoia of a fanbase that we would be left behind in X if we didn't act quickly. For a lot of us, who had seen a slow decline and teams overtaking us, the idea this process would go into over drive has caused a bit of a panic really.

I mean, it's completely not true as well. We are 5 years in, and lets call it what it is, we should have qualified for the CL this season, having made a mess of the previous 4 years. So the idea you've not got time to wait is wrong. If you are doing the right things as a club, you will get there. We are not.

The reality is, and again trying to be quite acute in the assessment, is that Moshiri hasn't put the sort of investment required to emulate what City/Chelsea did when they did it. Thats not a fault of him, but to approach it how City/Chelsea did and give the fans that impression was a mistake.

It is Monday, anger over. Carlo said he is lost for words to describe it. At least he knows and admits it and accepts responsibility, which is some small comfort. Nothing else to say until next season. Season tickets to be renewed and we go from there.

Reactions: kev
Claudio Ranieri.

Boom. Roasted.

I won't even dignify the rest of that tripe by quoting it. You are clearly a troll. Now crawl back to whichever RS forum you frequent and stop spamming this 1 with garbage.
You have just won the internet.

And you even managed to out me as a RS troll.

Bravo.

And the Bayern training sessions?

Look it up, since you own the internet.

It's actually quite depressing really. That gme hit me hard yesterday, harder than any of the other poor defeats.

I'm not trying to defend either, but yesterday we had a team with Sigurdsson, James and Coleman in at the same time. We are just carrying too many players and we really lack any punch in reacting to a game.

What really worries me, is I'm not sure it just gives solves with 2 more midfield players. I'm genuinely at a loss as to what the answer is. Sometimes a side at the bottom end of the league will get a smash and grab, but that hasn't been whats happening. We just fizzled out in the 2nd half.

The only cavaet I have, is I remember watching us at Wolves in 2004 and we were similarly limpless. I'd gone to most of the aways that season and we won 1 game (in the freezing cold at Portsmouth thanks to a Rooney goal you couldn't even see given it was so wet). We sort of rebuilt from that point by sticking with the manager.

I don't know. If I thought Doucoure and/or Allan were terrible, or have played terribly it would be better. But both have done ok. Just genuinely miffed today.
I've said this many times before but after 10 minutes you can already see what type of performance is coming. We don't have any gears to go through in terms of performance. The in game management is none existent when your plan is obviously not working. Either they are under strict instruction from the manager or they simply don't have the brains or ability to do it. This isn't just yesterday or even this season its been a trait of ours for years.

Perhaps he over-reached with aiming for Europe after seeing the way we ended last season. But its good to show some ambition and he had to throw us a bone, especially after the positivity surrounding the summer signings and the way we started the season.

We have some very average players, but I don't accept that as a collective unit they are as bad as what we are seeing every week. We don't have an identity, we don't looked drilled, we don't look fit.

We are standing still at best but may have to go backwards to go forwards. Whoever the manager is, I'd appreciate if they told us, and it came from the club generally, what we are trying to do and achieve. I don't mean just a generic "Europe" in that sense. That's why we need a distinctive model and way of playing. We should not be a home for players on the way down in their careers.

I'd have liked, or would like us to become one of the natural homes in English football for young and emerging talent, from wherever we can source those players. Putting a team like that together takes time and requires a very methodical approach but you can offer progressive improvement with players who are hungry and eager to prove their worth. I want everything at Everton, but I'd settle for basic levels of good attitude, commitment, team shape, organisation, and fitness at present. It's galling to say we don't have near enough of those things.

I hope Ancelotti has realised at least this season that the current approach isn't working and won't work. Whatever grandfatherly or favourite uncle persona he adopts at clubs isn't going to work here either. I'm not suggesting he arrives a FF with a pitchfork but the Mr. Nice Guy routine gets him nowhere here. If he can't break the code at Everton this summer he isn't going to do it at all.

Yes. Moshiri is a big problem in all of this. He essentially brought out a paranoia of a fanbase that we would be left behind in X if we didn't act quickly. For a lot of us, who had seen a slow decline and teams overtaking us, the idea this process would go into over drive has caused a bit of a panic really.

I mean, it's completely not true as well. We are 5 years in, and lets call it what it is, we should have qualified for the CL this season, having made a mess of the previous 4 years. So the idea you've not got time to wait is wrong. If you are doing the right things as a club, you will get there. We are not.

The reality is, and again trying to be quite acute in the assessment, is that Moshiri hasn't put the sort of investment required to emulate what City/Chelsea did when they did it. Thats not a fault of him, but to approach it how City/Chelsea did and give the fans that impression was a mistake.
This sums the whole thing up for me. If we'd had a season like this with Gordon, Nkounkou and Branthwaite playing a fair bit, and 4 summer signings in the Godfrey mould then I'd be pretty optimistic going into next season. A season like this after signing 3 players who were clearly supposed to make an instant impact and with no youth prospects getting any game time at all and I'm genuinely a bit fearful of what's in store. I don't know how we keep getting it so wrong, it's a remarkable talent.

But 17 months in we have no idea of how we want to play. We aren't able to counter, we aren't able to control possession, we are hardly able to string decent moves together.

It's been an up and down season with injuries etc. But you've heard from Carlo himself, the squad is limited to do anything but be compact and pragmatic.

He's also said he's got an idea to improve the play in the window.

Mentality, ability. He keeps saying these things and the players keep failing. They've failed other managers too.

We've bought horrifically for years. There's no question of that

It's been an up and down season with injuries etc. But you've heard from Carlo himself, the squad is limited to do anything but be compact and pragmatic.

He's also said he's got an idea to improve the play in the window.

Mentality, ability. He keeps saying these things and the players keep failing. They've failed other managers too.

We've bought horrifically for years. There's no question of that

Im not having that a team that had DCL, Richarlison, James Rodriguez, Allan, Doucoure and Digne in it could be turned over by some Plumbers from Sheffield Utd.

It wasn't a one off either - Carlo is looking more like Mourinho every week in that he's a top manager but not suited anymore to the English League in his philosophy/style.

No I agree, but the problem is they haven't really addressed the issues. Spending £45-50m on a couple of central midfielders and still being completely overrun in there almost every week just isn't really good enough. Both of them have looked good at times in their own right, but they just haven't really done what we needed them to do. Whether thats because we signed the wrong players or because he's not getting the tactics right (or both) is difficult to say, but it's pretty undeniable that it hasn't really worked the way we expected. If you'd told me this time last year that we'd sign 2 new central midfielders and James to play in front of them but would still be outplayed at home by the likes of Sheffield United, Newcastle and Fulham then I wouldn't have believed you.

The team is only a sum of its parts. If we'd been scoring for fun but conceding at the same rate for example, there would be clear deficiencies in defence.

So the midfield is still a horror show. Allan and Doucs still need a 3 player along side them. Is there any wonder Carlo is playing Coleman and Digne as wide players? Iwobi, Bernard, even Richy are all not cutting it?

If you had to pick the side you'd put Allan and Doucs in there...and literally struggle to put anyone else along side them that would improve the team.

Siggy, Gomes, Davies, Bernard, Iwobi...that's the choice. It's sickening to even think that could do anything but look slow, disjointed, and lacking any progressive play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back