Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's not a question we know the answer to but so far the DoF role hasn't been utilised properly.

Choose a style/philosophy that fits the club > hire a coach that aligns with this > sign players that align with this > filter down philosophy to through the academy.

We're still stuck at stage one.
The he's not been stroing enoiugh to make his mark here, has he?

A DoF surley accepts a job and an extension when they are making progress?

He's in it - like a lot employed at the club - for a big piss take pay day.

Bizarrely, the Villa game rankles with me more than yesterday. We had to go for broke, all out from minute 1 for the victory. We of course didn't. We dropped Davies to bring back Mason Holgate for some unknown reason and we coasted the entire first half and only properly woke up in the last 10 minutes. The lack of urgency came from the bench sadly. He made two changes, a non-goalscoring midfielder for a goal-scoring midfielder and a headless chicken attacker on at right-wing back. It was dreadful.

Yesterday was nearly unforgivable, but it was entirely in-keeping with our home form this season so not unexpected. 5 defenders at home to Sheffield United? If any other manager did that the pitchforks would be out.

Ancellotti does deserve time and his own players, this current group are notorious for dialling it in but can we even trust Marcel Brands to ring the changes? Several of the players that are treading water in this squad are ones he's brought to the club.

The players and manager have got away with it this season at home (and the end of last season) with no crowds. A full Goodison wouldn't stand for the home performances and tactics through 2021.

That's his stall set out.

If he's backed, we buy better players, and we are still poop then it's also the hill he dies on.

Loud and clear.
I think he's spot on though. The majority of the players aren't capable of playing on the front foot. You could then question him on why he hasn't adapted our style to suit the players but you could also say long term it's better that he sets his stall out in terms of style and gets the plaers in needed to carry it out.

The he's not been stroing enoiugh to make his mark here, has he?

A DoF surley accepts a job and an extension when they are making progress?

He's in it - like a lot employed at the club - for a big piss take pay day.

Well it depends on the club you enter as well. With a club of our size and history, where people want everything right now, maybe it's not the right environment to do it properly? It requires a full club reset for a few years.

Well that's not a question we know the answer to but so far the DoF role hasn't been utilised properly.

Choose a style/philosophy that fits the club > hire a coach that aligns with this > sign players that align with this > filter down philosophy to through the academy.

We're still stuck at stage one.

Brands isn't perfect, but I do think some of his failings are a reflection of problems above.

The owner just doesn't see it in those terms. It is "spend money and win". The DOF doesn't choose the manager and increasingly doesn't seem to choose a lot of the players. So it's hard to imagine that he can really shape the football side of the football club.

That's before you mention the Chairman, who clearly thinks he can run a football club as a DOF better than actual DOF's.

Of course not, but the point is that he's not failed to address the glaring issues for his first season in charge transfer wise.

The problem isn't 3 or 4 players...it's the full squad.
No I agree, but the problem is they haven't really addressed the issues. Spending £45-50m on a couple of central midfielders and still being completely overrun in there almost every week just isn't really good enough. Both of them have looked good at times in their own right, but they just haven't really done what we needed them to do. Whether thats because we signed the wrong players or because he's not getting the tactics right (or both) is difficult to say, but it's pretty undeniable that it hasn't really worked the way we expected. If you'd told me this time last year that we'd sign 2 new central midfielders and James to play in front of them but would still be outplayed at home by the likes of Sheffield United, Newcastle and Fulham then I wouldn't have believed you.

Brands isn't perfect, but I do think some of his failings are a reflection of problems above.

The owner just doesn't see it in those terms. It is "spend money and win". The DOF doesn't choose the manager and increasingly doesn't seem to choose a lot of the players. So it's hard to imagine that he can really shape the football side of the football club.

That's before you mention the Chairman, who clearly thinks he can run a football club as a DOF better than actual DOF's.

Mosh wants an instant return so I'm not quite sure why we got a DoF in the first place.

Yes, he inherited some good players. But Rodgers has added well to them with the likes of Tielemanns, Castagne, Fofana and Perez. He got the best out of a player like Maddison.

He's done what all good managers should do: evolve a team that's doing ok but needs to get to the next level.
Yes. This. Everton seem to buy some players based on their best days, which are usually behind them.The first time James wasn't available I thought to myself...'shades of Samuel E'to' great name but very little game. We cannot 'build a team round James' because half the time he wouldn't be in the team.

The players and manager have got away with it this season at home (and the end of last season) with no crowds. A full Goodison wouldn't stand for the home performances and tactics through 2021.
I do think the empty stadiums has dramatically harmed our home form, but I also don't think we'd have nearly as many wins away if other sides had the crowds in so you could probably balance the two those things out and we'd be in a similar position.

A DoF who accepts those terms is just a hologram.

He's no good to us.

Just keeping his gob shut and allowing an owner to back seat drive.

Well it depends on the club you enter as well. With a club of our size and history, where people want everything right now, maybe it's not the right environment to do it properly? It requires a full club reset for a few years.
I get what you're saying here but I always think this is a bit of a harsh/easy criticism to make. I think this just stems from the way the club goes about things, rather than the fanbase being impatient. Under Moyes and Martinez the fans were generally patient (in the grand scheme of things I mean, not necessarily individual games) but when Moshiri came in and started talking about small windows of opportunity and we started to spend huge amounts and buy players at their peak then it shifts the way people look at things. If we were clearly going for a long term strategy and the club made it clear we needed to be patient then I think people would be, but they won't be patient when we're clearly making short term plans.

EDIT I can see you addressed this yourself afterwards.

Yes. This. Everton seem to buy some players based on their best days, which are usually behind them.The first time James wasn't available I thought to myself...'shades of Samuel E'to' great name but very little game. We cannot 'build a team round James' because half the time he wouldn't be in the team.
...and you know that you'll see more of those signings this summer.

The manager is not right for us; in retrospect he was never a manager for this type of job.

Having a nodding dog DoF who hands him no trouble but shoulders half the blame now on incoming players is ideal for Carlo.

I just feel the whole playing side of the club is a cynical manipulation of fans. The owner ultimately is the issue. He just cant make correct decisions...even on bringing in people to make correct decisions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back