Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't a bad manager at all.

If he could replicate what he's implemented at Brighton with better attackers, then in theory, that team would be very good.

I know footy is not played in theory, but imagine if we play City on Sunday and they got a man sent off after 10. Can you imagine us ending up with 19 shots and 63 per cent possession? Brighton have just done that.

They have also conceded less goals from open play in the league this year than any other side apart from City, mate.

Their issues have been a lack of a cutting edge. But would not be surprised to see Potter end up with a big move (Spurs level etc), if he carries it on. He may not do, like.
I think he’s a good manager that’s cut his teeth at increasing levels and his next move is at a decent club. Plays nice football to boot.

I think he’s a good manager that’s cut his teeth at increasing levels and his next move is at a decent club. Plays nice football to boot.

there's this idea he's footy without substance but actually it's not that at all really. They create the chances, loads of them, but have lacked that cutting edge.

Dom, even Richarlison-level of forward in that team and they'd have been at the very least where we are this season. So can see the logic.

I don't want him over Carlo. But I do think it makes the whole 'what more can he do with our rabble' thing laughable. Would people want Lallana, Gross and Bissouma as a three over James, Allan and Doucoure, for example...

He isn't a bad manager at all.

If he could replicate what he's implemented at Brighton with better attackers, then in theory, that team would be very good.

I know footy is not played in theory, but imagine if we play City on Sunday and they got a man sent off after 10. Can you imagine us ending up with 19 shots and 63 per cent possession? Brighton have just done that.

They have also conceded less goals from open play in the league this year than any other side apart from City, mate.

Their issues have been a lack of a cutting edge. But would not be surprised to see Potter end up with a big move (Spurs level etc), if he carries it on. He may not do, like.
I do like how he has his teams play but you look at the numbers and its hard to say anything other than "if he had players who could finish..", but football is rarely that simple.
Personally I think he'd be great as England manager.

Just people have banged on about it like we've played well in those games - we have in some, haven't in a lot of others.

I take little joy in our away form really; albeit maybe at the moment because I'm still so angry with them. Because it's such a weird season. I do think we'd played alright on occasion and have at least found a way that works which is good. Nothing really to build on though because I can't see that same way of playing working with full grounds (or even half-full).

Whereas, the way we've played at home isn't just bad, it's genuinely horrific. Teams have walked through us. The one home game we've won in 2021, was the one we've played how we do away and just snatched an early goal and ended up holding on.

I just think it's properly awful and expected a lot more after 18 months. I definitely didn't expect him to be sat in a presser saying "I'm not a magician"
Agree with you mate. And I don't actually think the fans expectations are unrealistic. We know Carlo inherited a difficult job, we just want to see progress and a clear style and identity emerging.

I can put up with getting beat. But it's the nature of performances, being outclassed by relegated teams. It shouldn't take a magician to stop that happening.

Still think he'll get it right, takes time.

I cannot see our brave lionhearts being happy with Potter replacing Barney. I suggest they would ‘down tools’ very quickly were that to occur and they are then expected to play fast tempo,
attractive football.
I hope Barney does move on...Everton is just too hard a club to get any tune out of. But I would like to see more games wherein our brave lionhearts look like they give a toss. Yes, yes, I know they do a good Blue Chrimbo but they earn reasonable money and I do not think it unreasonable to expect our brave lionhearts to be able to cope with Blue Chrimbo and one or two decent games of togger.
Barney’s CV will take a hit of course, but very few managers can succeed at this massive sleeping giant of a club.Obviously the Moyesiah is one, but I like the cut of the Brighton bloke’s jib and think he would deserve a chance except for what I said before: our brave lionhearts would simply not stand for being expected to play attractive football. Sigh...I guess there’s only one man left then....BRING BACK THE MOYESIAH!!!!!

Last edited:
I do like how he has his teams play but you look at the numbers and its hard to say anything other than "if he had players who could finish..", but football is rarely that simple.
Personally I think he'd be great as England manager.

Oh yeah. Sure something else might scupper him, maybe they only create so many chances because there's more creative players in the team, but at the expense of out and out forwards?

Just mean there's a bit of a disregard about him from a lot of fans, and then some of ours will almost certainly think it's Martinez-esque, but it's not really. Their defence is pretty strong.

Anyway, I don't want him, but just thought it a worthy point to talk about.

Seen so many similar in the past who are flavour of the month and then move to a bigger club have a poor run and disappear into obscurity. Mike Walker for example

Potter would fit us like a glove. He will be at Leicester/Arsenal/Spurs/Utd next, Brighton play good stuff and without a striker. Not like the turd we serve every weekend.
I think you are doing Potter a great disservice.

A man of his not inconsiderable talents needs a better platform to showcase them than current day Everton. I'm afraid our squad, transfer strategy, and deeply ingrained culture of mediocrity and low aspirations (reflected in player attitudes) is just not the breeding ground talents like him thrive in.

No, said bigger clubs are a better bet. So that leaves the question, who else succeeds the ailing Ancelotti?

Agree with you mate. And I don't actually think the fans expectations are unrealistic. We know Carlo inherited a difficult job, we just want to see progress and a clear style and identity emerging.

I can put up with getting beat. But it's the nature of performances, being outclassed by relegated teams. It shouldn't take a magician to stop that happening.

Still think he'll get it right, takes time.

Yep. Though I don't buy it takes this much time to set an identity in place, no matter the players you have. We've seen it with Bielsa, Potter, etc etc. If Carlo was going to implement a way of playing, whether it be possession-based, or pressing-based, he'd have done it already. He isn't going to do it. We're going to continue to be a team that mixes it up which is fine, because we've seen how well it can work (still think the way we did Leeds in the first half at Elland Road was great, even if we did ride our luck a tad). But it does mean we lack a fall back and I think we've seen that this year. Just have to hope better players change it but then we know that 1-2 injuries and we're back to the same crappers.

Going to be finishing tenth.

Which, if we do is a shocker of a season.
On 4th March we were 5th. One point off 4th with a game in hand. 3 points ahead of Liverpool with a game in hand. 10 games later and we'll just about finish in the top half. That's an absolute disgrace. If that happened under any of our last few managers they would be getting absolute brick-bats and rightly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back