Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gareth Barry was too slow by the end, and he was part of the reason we finished bottom half twice under Martinez. It wasn’t a popular view then and it seemingly isn’t now but slow players have to be absolutely exceptional if you want to carry them. Pirlo maybe, Messi now, James, or perhaps an outstanding penalty box poacher like Inzaghi. You can carry one maybe in your team if they are brilliant. You can’t carry 5 or 6 average ones all in the same side though. You get ran over and dominated which is what happens to us too often.

I'm not sure I can agree with that mate. I think in that final season Barry was the player who prevented us falling down the league further when everything around him was imploding. Stones behind him, Barkley next to him and Lukaku ahead of him all lost form.

Gareth Barry was too slow by the end, and he was part of the reason we finished bottom half twice under Martinez. It wasn’t a popular view then and it seemingly isn’t now but slow players have to be absolutely exceptional if you want to carry them. Pirlo maybe, Messi now, James, or perhaps an outstanding penalty box poacher like Inzaghi. You can carry one maybe in your team if they are brilliant. You can’t carry 5 or 6 average ones all in the same side though. You get ran over and dominated which is what happens to us too often.

Your view on football is a bit weird. We aren't underperforming because Davies is slow. Funnily enough when he's played he's been our bright spot in midfield.

He's a good squad player, you need a few of those. We tend to play better when he starts. People get really upset with him and say he's terrible just because he's not a really top player.
It's good to pad out the squad with youth products wherever possible, but I think he's played far more than he should have if the club is serious about moving beyond mid-table.

To me, he's just a nonentity of a player.

The problem is how deep we play and sit back to allow the opponent to dictate games

You say we don’t have the personnel to play on the front foot well Liverpool play a very high defensive line and they have coped all season without their first choice centre backs playing some grocks who probably would struggle to get into most league 1 sides yet they found a way to adapt.

The best form of defence is offence, yet we lack any offence whatsoever.

Italian press linking Carlo with Juventus now. Probably absolute rubbish like most Italian media stories. However, IMO, the club needs to back him to the hilt as he won’t be short of alternatives if he wants to leave.
No one wants him in Italy... As a Napoli fan, i could say tha he destroyed our team, it took two years to recover...
He is no longer a top coach, and struggles with teams in need to be build up or take the next steep... More like Mourinho, he cannot work anymore with teams not strong enough to play by themselves... And he is so arrogant that cannot admit his mistakes...

I'm not sure I can agree with that mate. I think in that final season Barry was the player who prevented us falling down the league further when everything around him was imploding. Stones behind him, Barkley next to him and Lukaku ahead of him all lost form.
Besides, you don't have to be fast when in the majority of games, you're hard up against the goal line! :p

Telegraph Sport today quotes Ancelotti as saying that he was 'forced to seek some home truths from his players' after the latest setback at Goodison Park. If that was the first time this season he had felt a need to do a 'search' then he was several months too late.
I think he's waited till Europe is out of sight to start going a bit public with these type of thoughts. Not good management when there was always something to play for.

No one wants him in Italy... As a Napoli fan, i could say tha he destroyed our team, it took two years to recover...
He is no longer a top coach, and struggles with teams in need to be build up or take the next steep... More like Mourinho, he cannot work anymore with teams not strong enough to play by themselves... And he is so arrogant that cannot admit his mistakes...
Hi mate. Thank you for your input. As a Napoli fan what positive things are you able to say about Ancelotti during his time with you. You state that he destroyed your team. Are you able to elaborate on that? In what way did he destroy the team. Also what was the situation of Napoli before he came in, were they in a bad state?

The amount of space Allan gets the ball ina and runs with jr when he plays 6 is silly but the other team knows we haven’t a clue how to draw them out. First noticed it in the Leeds game at home.

mmm iwont say he isnt a top coach anymore, but i do think there are 2 kinds of coaches, those who are given quality players and are able to consistently win (guardiola, former mourihno,) , designed to administrate wealth and abundance , and 2: those who are used to live in poverty, squeeze the personel and rebuild/set a foundation for the the 1st kind of coach.

imo carlo is from the first group, came too early to everton, a team that clearly still needs to be tenderized by a hard strong coach. HE is still learning how to clean a group and build it from zero, next season will tell if he is up to the job or not, i think thats his final exam.

Your view on football is a bit weird. We aren't underperforming because Davies is slow. Funnily enough when he's played he's been our bright spot in midfield.

We’re underperforming because most of our players are slow, Davies being one of them. Yet every time they’re focussed on individually we get the same ‘it doesn’t matter if Keane doesn’t have pace’, ‘Davies doesn’t need to be quick’ ‘Siggurdson needs quick players around him’. Put all these players together in a team with Bernard or Gomes who are also slow and then it does become a massive problem. I’m not sure why that’s a strange view to hold.

SPIDER-MAN BY DIANA TAMBLYN.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back