Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately , I think after tonight's results our European hopes are now virtually dead , barring a victory at City , and miraculous results all over the place. Looking at the fixtures , and tonight's results ,we likely finish 10th , and Moyes gets West Ham into europe. Absolutely appalling outcome this season. I really rate Carlo but this is simply unacceptable. I accept that he has inherited a lot of dross, but James , Allan , Godfrey and Doucorre are his , and as a nucleus , we should have done much , much better. Really disappointed.
It’s simple really. Beat City and we’re 90% sure of finishing 7th anything else and we’re 90% finishing 10th.

Basically no chance Spurs beat Leicester in my opinion that’s the first 10% and the second 10% is the unlikely event that Arsenal lose and Leeds don’t win.

I remember Carlo saying a couple of months ago that Europe qualification will go down to the final day and he ended up being right. Subconsciously he probably new his players would make a total pigs ear of it due to their inconsistency and attitude. Really annoying that we completely threw away so many golden opportunities and made it as difficult as possible and this season has to be seen as a failure because of that for me but hey ho we go into the last game with a very small chance of getting into the Europa conference league with us having to get a result at City and hope that Leicester do Spurs. Not much chance at all really and lets be honest we probably don't deserve it anyway with our shocking home form but its a strange season and odd things can happen.

Carlo is still the right man for the job though imo and things wont get better until he has significantly rebuilt the team which will take a while.

Unfortunately , I think after tonight's results our European hopes are now virtually dead , barring a victory at City , and miraculous results all over the place. Looking at the fixtures , and tonight's results ,we likely finish 10th , and Moyes gets West Ham into europe. Absolutely appalling outcome this season. I really rate Carlo but this is simply unacceptable. I accept that he has inherited a lot of dross, but James , Allan , Godfrey and Doucorre are his , and as a nucleus , we should have done much , much better. Really disappointed.
At least he is on record now as stating what he feels is the problem so we are in the knowledge that he is not accepting it and actually called out the players. That bodes well for future transfers and we now know he wants to change the style we play as currently he knows it is unacceptable

I'm not particularly optimistic, but you never know.

I don't think that Europa League/Conference is much of a draw for players anyway, at least not in comparison to the wages on offer or the lure of a name like Ancelotti. For me, the biggest issue is Brands's record of buying players that the manager doesn't have much use for (the latest being King), especially when the squad is so thin in key areas.

You're not wrong about there being a lack of physicality in the team, but I'm more worried about the level of technical ability. Only Rodriguez has any sort of range to his passing, and I can't see him playing more games the older he gets. I'm also fully expecting to see most of the decidedly mid-table players getting regular minutes again next season (Sigurdsson, Davies, Keane, Coleman, Pickford), so whoever does come in will need to be exceptional.

In terms of the football itself, a settled back-four would be a start. If that means sticking with Keane or Mina and sitting deep, I think there'll need to be a big effort made to find a midfielder who can take the ball off the defence and make something happen.

Europe is a step for the club though, and that's why it's so important. We'd still be able to sign exactly the same players with or without it. But a European run allows you to build a squad and show you're progressing as a club. We should have had that boxed off this season because in many other ways we've either stagnated or gone backwards tbh - our playing style now is worse than it was at the back end of Silva's first season, let's have it right. So it would be tangible progress I suppose. As it is, there's a very good chance we might finish 10th, two places higher than last season, with very little to show for anything. Hopefully that's not the case, obviously.

Sitting deep is fine if like you say we have the power ahead of it. It's why we need options. And Brands cannot leave us short as he has done in the last few windows. It's clear what's needed, so go and get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back