Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Il happily question Carlo on some of his tactical decisions and his quite simply shocking choice of players for certain roles they cannot play and his insistence on picking the same crap regardless of performance the week before.

That said he has possibly the worst constructed side of any in the past 10 years. The defenders and midfielders can't run, don't want the ball and can't pass consistently over 10 yards to even start a build up play for an attack. We've got a complete offensive unit who're better without the ball than with it, struggle to pass to each other and have no service 95% of the time.

He simply doesn't have a good enough squad to judge him right now, better recruitment this summer and with fans returning meaning our away form going down the window and our home form only god knows, then we can fully judge Carlo and if he's the right guy for the job.

The man knows he has work on his hands here. He hasn’t tried to hide behind anything. He knows we need to improve he’s telling us that. He’s telling you he’s trying to get the best out of what he has but he can only do so much.

I really don’t understand what else he’s supposed to do.

Doesn’t matter if you’re on 50k/100k/1m/2m per week, if you’ve inherited a mostly poor team who don’t have the will or desire to do well and be successful then you’re fighting a losing battle and things won’t change. The dross needs punting.
I really rate Carlo and I think we need to give him more time but the best managers get the best out of their squad at any level. I think he is probably too nice to give some of these players the rollicking they deserve and clear out the dross. If a player had given Alex Ferguson (or even Moyes) a performance like some of ours at home this season they would have been afraid to turn up for training the next day. They would have walked down the tunnel, changed their identity, got into a taxi straight for the airport (without even stopping to tell their family) never to be seen again; rather than face the wrath of Fergie. I'm not sure a raised eyebrow would put that same fear of God into you. Carlo is used to managing players that give 100% all the time because they love the game and set their own standards higher than the managers. How many of Everton starting XI could you say that for?

Last edited:
Nobody who is vaguely sentient signs Carlo Ancelotti to "coach" abject mediocrities into the Champions League. It's like asking Alain Prost to win the Monaco Grand Prix in a Morris Minor.

If the club doesn't get rid of the dross - by hook or by crook - this summer and furnish this man with the tools he needs to do the job at the level he operates, then we'd have been better off going for somebody like Pochettino: a man who can coach mediocre players into the Champions League and win absolutely nothing no matter how much money you give him.

Had our home form been slightly better this season we’d have got 4th. We miss the 12th man - the Goodison faithful.
Well yeah, but the away points we picked up were against teams who were missing their 12th man as well, so it has probably averaged out.

The troubling thing for me is that, especially in the second half of the season, we just never looked convincing on the pitch. We scraped out some ugly wins, but I can remember very few instances of us dominating a game.

Massive improvements needed next season.

This season has in the end, been one massive disappointment. I still think and hope that Carlo can turn around, but i think another season of crap football, could be the straw that breaks the camels back. It's been a depressing end to what was once a promising season, but oh well at least the rs won sweet f all this year.:)

He’s improved most of the players. Most of them just aren’t good enough though. ‘Hey the best out of what he has’. Is there a better version of Michael Keane? Has he ever played better than he has done this season (which is still awful). Isn’t Tom Davies playing his best ever football? Pickford is in his best ever form now. Calvert Lewin has never played better. Godfrey is playing at his best. Mina is playing his best football since he joined.

Apart from Richalrison I don’t think any of the players have more to give than what they’re showing under Carlo. They’re just not very good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back