Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the 2nd time Carlo has mentioned that we won the Derby? That needs to stop, it’s a very small victory and we expect much much more. I’ll put it down to translation and hopefully he didn’t mean it to sound so important.

On another note, It’s a bold statement to say we will challenge for the title next season, he obviously knows things we don’t. But to be fair to him it’s the exact thing he should be saying, we expect and demand 100%. When you walk through that door at Goodison you are expected to win.
I know we could do with a whole new squad but bringing in 6/7/8 players all at the same time never works.
I‘m hoping for 2 or 3 players of real quality. It will make a huge difference, especially if we get rid of the hangers on.

In Carlo I trust

If he brings in another 4-5 of his own signings this summer and we miss out on Europe again next season and finish 8th-12th with no trophies at that point would you question if he is the man to take us forward?

it depends on the situation at the time. two bad seasons in a wrong is certainly a concern and there wouldn't be many other managers that would last that long. Even Wolves had one bad season this year and he's out.

That said, I doubt a real solid foundation can be fixed over one year, that's my real concern. The two times its happened Chelsea and Man City, took insane amounts of money to get legitimate improvement. Many teams gain a bit of improvement, until their weaknesses get exploited and they regress again. If it was so easy, other teams who've spent money could jump the queue as well.

The issue for Everton is that they need 8-10 legimate good players this summer especially if they're going to to get rid of 4 or 5 players (hey maybe more), Siggy, Gomes, Bernard, Iwobi just to name a few, because we had a lot of games where the entire bench was just academy players. I just don't think that's happening.

Honestly who's going to make Man City's team from the Everton team - not a single player... peak Richarlison maybe, and he's behind all those players playing his position. Richarlison needs to have a good long look at himself honestly - he's behind De Bruyne, Foden, Mahrez, Sterling, Torres.

This was the table on March 4th.

View attachment 128183
My two young lads had a bet with my Leeds supporting mate on who would finish higher this season. A Mars Bar was on the line. Around this time my boys were laughing at him, “get ready to buy us them Mars Bars Martin, we want a big one, not a fun-size!!” etc.

They are absolutely fuming now that they now have to spend some of their pocket money on him.

Hopefully this teaches them a life lesson, that you never, EVER, bet on Everton to achieve ANYTHING.

Hopefully he stays, it worries me that generally when he takes on a position they already have the "top end"players for him to work with, he has come in here to basically a car crash of misfits, he may feel it is a situation here that is even beyond his capabilities and look for a better opportunity for his managerial knowledge/skillset, he and Brands have a really busy time of it here this summer to get us going I feel, even with his name,and the money at his disposal, we will probably be looking at the "second level"grade level players which would be frustrating to Ancelotti I would imagine, and then we need to move on the dross we have,aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!

Disappointed in the whole season after the start we had. Not having we can't play better football, we did at the start. They all take the blame but Carlo deserves another season with more of his own players. It cannot continue like it has though. Finishing 10th with -1 gd is unacceptable no matter who is in charge.

If he brings in another 4-5 of his own signings this summer and we miss out on Europe again next season and finish 8th-12th with no trophies at that point would you question if he is the man to take us forward?

Depends on the signings for me. If we have a good strategy and sign players under the age of 26, then i can accept a season between 8-10th, however, if he signs all his mates again and ups the squad age with loads of 29-30yr olds round the place then ill seriously question him.

Everton's strategy of signing "experienced" players for short term gains has amounted to absolutely nothing other than spunking a load of money every year to replace a older player - that simply is not sustainable.

My two young lads had a bet with my Leeds supporting mate on who would finish higher this season. A Mars Bar was on the line. Around this time my boys were laughing at him, “get ready to buy us them Mars Bars Martin, we want a big one, not a fun-size!!” etc.

They are absolutely fuming now that they now have to spend some of their pocket money on him.

Hopefully this teaches them a life lesson, that you never, EVER, bet on Everton to achieve ANYTHING.

Bad times but vital life lesson.

Also...Leeds still prove to me they're not just "average players who work harder".

They scored 15 goals more than us and conceded only 6 more.

This idea that Bielsa or anyone would come in and get your Iwobi's, Gomes', Siggys etc to "work harder" is ludicrous.

He'd bin them all and bring in new players. Just like Carlo has to do.

I think any point which blames the manager and not this squad of players, is an unfair point and not one backed up by any evidence.

How long do we plan on letting some of these players underperform? Do they have contracts for life?

And we have to sell them at a loss as no one wants them

Is this the 2nd time Carlo has mentioned that we won the Derby? That needs to stop, it’s a very small victory and we expect much much more. I’ll put it down to translation and hopefully he didn’t mean it to sound so important.

On another note, It’s a bold statement to say we will challenge for the title next season, he obviously knows things we don’t. But to be fair to him it’s the exact thing he should be saying, we expect and demand 100%. When you walk through that door at Goodison you are expected to win.
I know we could do with a whole new squad but bringing in 6/7/8 players all at the same time never works.
I‘m hoping for 2 or 3 players of real quality. It will make a huge difference, especially if we get rid of the hangers on.

In Carlo I trust
This ,exactly.
We need to look at the city model of building. One or two very good players every year. Better to spend a lot on one Ronaldo than 6 Iwobis.

When you walk through that door at Goodison you are expected to win.

On one level, I get what you're saying & agree with you. We shouldn't start the season expecting dross.

On the other hand, seven trophy winning seasons since the second world war doesn't suggest we're going to be picking up pots as our right. Winning stuff isn't really something we do at all frequently.

If we say we should be at least challenging, yes. But we did that this season to the (almost) last gasp.

And we have to sell them at a loss as no one wants them
Thankfully most of them are nearer the end of their contract now than the beginning. Except Kean who we should be able to sell, and Iwobi who we are probably stuck with.

If we can make a profit on Kean then we should take a loss on Iwobi and move him on. Hopefully we can sell plenty of others to make small profits and negate any accounting issues. There will be lots of wages saved too so we really should be in a better position than 12 months ago. Even Walcott & Bolasie will have cost us a lot every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back