Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone knows this team, except his signings, is terrible.
The truth is he pushed this team to fight for European football till the last day.
It is remarkable because he done it with tactics and game plans even though we lack quality.
:coffee:

James behavior doesn’t help does it?
4A61FBAA-DA03-4A05-80B2-3133BC77D025.webp

Just going to give my take on Carlo this season and also the problems he has to fix for next season. I think Carlo overestimated his players by some fair margin. That's why most of these players aren't top top players. Allan, Doucoure, Godfrey, they're nice players, with qualities in some areas, but lacking in others. Otherwise they would have been 60-80m.

Anyways here are the 5 biggest problems for me at the end of this season they should fix.

1. Buy players that have better attacking quality. DCL and Richarlison can score, but Siggy is literally useless, and Gomes can only show it for 15 minutes at a time. This was supposed to be James this season, but he was injured.

2. The central midfield needs a rethink. Both Allan and Doucoure are natural box to box midfielders not defensive mids. Doucoure has energy, Allan can keep the ball and provide a tackle or two. Making them both means you lose out in central midfield in possession. That's why our attack is so average, we don't have anyone creating or playmaking in the middle.

3. 3 or 2 at the back. We have to get to a point where we go 2 at the back against teams we should comfortably win, so we get one more midfield player. This also should influence a RB purchase as well.

4. Pace and Fitness - Aside from Ben Godfrey, we're generally a slow team. It is way too obvious, because everytime Godfrey goes for the ball, we're impressed by his 'pace'. Which means the other players are just WAY TOO SLOW. Many of these players are just unfit, we have to get fitter players that can run out a match better, rescue those games where we're 1-0 down.

5. Option to play zero strikers - We showed in both the Man City games they're way ahead, but they've been starting to play with zero strikers and we don't have that, even though I think we tried it a couple of times with siggy up front. Their players are supremely fit, their players attack hard and arrive in the box and actually get a pass in the box, meanwhile our players are hopeless in the box.

Its Carlo's inability to instill motivation and drive to improve players as much as the players being incapable and weak.

So are the players not playing for the manager?

Unfortunately you cannot delete 70% of your squad in 2 months and replace them. Doesn't work like that anywhere. Look at Man Utd, Ole has had to work with the Jekyl and Hyde players for a few years and he has now managed to get more out of the most lot.

Carlo needs to accept the responsibility for not being able to do better with this squad which everyone makes it sound is among the worst in the PL (its not!). If Brands believes this squad indeed is bollocks then he needs to come out and take responsibility. But Everton being the usual bottlers have also bottled the DoF by giving him an extension FFS.
Lack of motivation is a fair criticism. My only problem is it's been an issue for the past several years, and we've blamed several previous managers for it in the same way some are blaming Carlo.

At the end of the day, he is in charge and assumes the responsibility of someone in charge, but I can't help but think the problem is more complex than any one manager's shortcomings. Is Carlo Ancelotti really going to be the next manager we run out of town due to issues that have existed for the past 7+ years?

Lack of motivation is a fair criticism. My only problem is it's been an issue for the past several years, and we've blamed several previous managers for it in the same way some are blaming Carlo.

At the end of the day, he is in charge and assumes the responsibility of someone in charge, but I can't help but think the problem is more complex than any one manager's shortcomings. Is Carlo Ancelotti really going to be the next manager we run out of town due to issues that have existed for the past 7+ years?

That's it really.

We've had all types of management style - the Pep-type (Martinez), Jose-type (Koeman), the Poch-type (Silva), the relegation scrap (Big Sam)...now we've gone for the world class manager.

The mainstay for the most part are the core set of players. Yet, it's still a management issue

That's it really.

We've had all types of management style - the Pep-type (Martinez), Jose-type (Koeman), the Poch-type (Silva), the relegation scrap (Big Sam)...now we've gone for the world class manager.

The mainstay for the most part are the core set of players. Yet, it's still a management issue

We can’t change again. It’s exactly what the players want, they’ll play up for a new manager, secure a new contract from the club, survive another transfer window, then get to work on seeing him fired again so they can keep doing the bare minimum.

Carlo has to stay and these clowns have to go.

We can’t change again. It’s exactly what the players want, they’ll play up for a new manager, secure a new contract from the club, survive another transfer window, then get to work on seeing him fired again so they can keep doing the bare minimum.

Carlo has to stay and these clowns have to go.

If he brings in another 4-5 of his own signings this summer and we miss out on Europe again next season and finish 8th-12th with no trophies at that point would you question if he is the man to take us forward?

The signings since his arrival have, for the most part, been a success. Allan's season has been stop-start, and we look half the side when Doucoure isn't fit. Godfrey has a lot of potential, and James is class when he's fit to play.

I think a large part of how we fare next season depends on whether or not we address the obvious gaps in the squad. We also need to move a lot of players on.

I don't envy Brands one bit, but these are the problems we need to circumvent if we are to push on and have the sort of consistency that saw us in the top 4 for large parts of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back