2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 when he won the CL with Real Madrid and left Zidane with a squad that won another three after it. Even Koeman took Southampton forward and he was a complete buffoon. Hassenhutl was close to getting fired last season. Let’s see if he finishes ahead of us this season before we proclaim him our new Messiah. People were saying the same about Marco Silva.
Carlo finished 3rd in La Liga in 2014 but won the Champions League. Zidane did not takeover in 2014. Carlo followed up his CL win with the 14/15 season when he went out in the semi's to Juventus. He was sacked after not winning a trophy in 14/15 after winning two in his first season.

That is not taking a club forwards.

Nothing will change until we throw caution to the wind and break FFP as the holes are too big in the squad at present.

We need:
1x back up CF
1x RW with pace
1x CM
1x RB
1x GK

Selling Kean for a decent fee and a USM naming rights deal once BMD is granted PP may allow us to do this but these last 3 weeks have massively concerned me.

Its not just ability of players its the actual mentality of some players - Siggurdsson is a coward, Gomes is a coward, Iwobi is a coward, Holgate laughing after losing 3-1, Pickford being a complete clown every week, Mina more of a joker than a serial winner, Delph a gobshite who cant stay fit for 2 consecutive games.

Too many players we need to axe for me - take big losses on them all, break FFP and take a fine and squad reduction in Europe who's arsed anymore its like groundhog day supporting Everton.
I really don't get this train of thought, completely nuke our wage bill for the sake of having quality players in each position? And if it doesn't work we are left with said players on big wages and contracts and likely fall into Admin. We aren't a City, Chelsea, PSG, Barca type who can just weasel their way around things, we would be nailed on for the biggest FFP fine in history

I wonder if going to a back 3, moving forward wouid be better with the players we have. Not sure if Ancelotti has used that system much in his career

I think Godfrey could play left or right, branthwaite left, holgate right, Keane( back up) centre. Get a top class CB. A quality attacking RB.

Have Allan, Doucoure, Gbamin( if he gets fit and regains confidence) and buy a New one. To have 4 midfielders fighting for 2 positions. James infront of them, iwobi as back, best of a bad bunch.

and Richarlison, DCL and new striker as the forwards. With a few youngsters as part of the squad. With a new goalkeeper, that’s 5 players and 150mil. Obviously we wouid have a lot to sell to try and recoup some of that.

Im not sure Ancelotti has ever had a reputation as a defensive manager but yes the defensive performances are not good enough.

That said, Arteta can field a back 5 of Leno Bellerin Gabriel Luiz Tierney. Ancelotti has a far inferior 5 of Pickford Coleman Keane Mina Digne. Only Digne would get in the Arsenal team.
I get this but then you’re in you’re in the brands thread saying he’s doing a good job. He’s spent £50m on 2 centre halves who we’ve got sat on the bench while we defend like school kids. Either it’s been a colossal waste of money or Ancelotti’s making bad decisions. They can’t both be doing well.

Last edited:

Carlo finished 3rd in La Liga in 2014 but won the Champions League. Zidane did not takeover in 2014. Carlo followed up his CL win with the 14/15 season when he went out in the semi's to Juventus. He was sacked after not winning a trophy in 14/15 after winning two in his first season.

They hadn’t won the CL for 12 years. He goes there and wins the CL. What part of that is not moving the club forward?

He was sacked, like most Madrid managers, because their presidents are all about the Champion's League and believe they should be like in the early days of the then European Cup and winning it every season. La Liga and the Copa Del Rey are just bonuses

I get this but then you’re in you’re in the brands thread saying he’s doing a good job. He’s spent £50m on 2 centre halves who we’ve got sat on the bench while we defend like school kids. Either it’s been a colossal waste of money or Ancelotti snaking bad decisions. They can’t both be doing well.

Ive not seen enough of Godfrey so have no idea what he’s like at centrehalf. Keane has done well this season but I’ve not been his biggest fan as a player in general and Brands didn’t buy him. Overall I think Brands has done well but I wouldn’t say Mina was a great signing, he’s decent but that’s it. Digne is an excellent player.

It’s a bit of both, the defensive organisation at the moment can be improved upon by Ancelotti, and Brands has work to do at right back, goalkeeper and centreback still before we have a top back 5.

I really don't get this train of thought, completely nuke our wage bill for the sake of having quality players in each position? And if it doesn't work we are left with said players on big wages and contracts and likely fall into Admin. We aren't a City, Chelsea, PSG, Barca type who can just weasel their way around things, we would be nailed on for the biggest FFP fine in history
I’m not expert on FFP, but I’m sure there’s way around that, especially now with a lot of teams doing loan to buy and a number of players available in cheaper deals, in to their last 6/12 months.

And with a number of high earners leaving in the next 2 years I’m sure we will have a lot of room to play with. Unfortunately we will probably lose Richarlison and James in the next 2yrs. Maybe the plan was hopefully try and push for top 4 over the next 2 seasons. With maybe a new player in jan and more next summer.

I expect our squad to look a lot different in 2 yrs and for the better

His 4 3 3 does not work unless Richarlison does 70% of his pressing and attacking and DCL heads home.

The players in our squad are too slow and ineffective to press, and too scared to improvise. Our midfield for the past 8 years has been unable to create. I would pay 30M to bring Barkley back and atleast carry the ball 10-15 yards forward from midfield.

James' honeymoon is over as every team knows how much he relies on his left foot and every PL team would know how to mark his movements on the right flank where his lack of pace goes against him.

Olsen

Kenny Godfrey Keane Digne

Allan Docoure/Gomes

Richarlison James Bernard/Gordon

DCL

With the players at our disposal, only this formation works unless we ship out the turtles like Sigurdsson and frauds like Iwobi.

The decision to let Kean and Walcott go without replacing will haunt us.

The defensive duo of Mina and Keane does not work as both are slow. We need one of them to be fast and able to fill in the CM space once further up in order to press.
As soon as i noticed JonJoe i stopped reading.. but up until that id agree with teams now seeing James as our weak link and attacking that side. And Richarlison head and shoulders our most influential player going both ways

He was sacked, like most Madrid managers, because their presidents are all about the Champion's League and believe they should be like in the early days of the then European Cup and winning it every season. La Liga and the Copa Del Rey are just bonuses
He had two seasons at Madrid he finished 3rd and 2nd in La Liga. What really cost him was a UEFA report that showed Madrid did far less training than their rivals.

It wasn't a one off Bayern's players arranged their own training sessions because Carlo's were too easy.

Carlo's reply.

"Most sessions are with the ball. But I don't like to do a lot of running without the ball," he told kicker. "Besides, in a typical session, my players average 6000 or 7000 metres running -- that's enough. "I'm not a coach, who kills his players in training.

"In Spain there's a saying 'Demasiada agua mata la planta' -- which means 'Too much water kills plants' -- it's like that with training too. Training sessions are important, but they must be in the right proportion. You can train hard but you also need to give the body a chance to recover."

We just got outworked by a United team that played away in Europe in mid week. Southampton outworked us so did Newcastle. The longer Carlo spends at a Club the more the fitness levels drop. Compare that to how hard the players worked under Dunc.

Fulham and Leeds will really turn up the heat if he doesn’t win them games.

He doesn’t get to coast just because he’s Ancelotti and we’re Everton.

We’ve seen absolutely no reaction to any of the poor results we’ve suffered over the past month. None at all.

Playing the likes of Sigurdsson and Tosun is a disgrace. Absolutely clueless decisions.

They hadn’t won the CL for 12 years. He goes there and wins the CL. What part of that is not moving the club forward?
That was his first season, he won the CL and the Copa del Rey. His second season he won nothing that is going backwards. That is why he was sacked. It was the same at Bayern, Chelsea and Napoli good first seasons led to regression and the sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back