Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that as the overall goal. That overall goal can change as a season progresses.

I think progress is based on points because the average points does guarantee something as you can split the tiers based on it, be in the mix for reaching a goal.

It works across all the positions. If you're a team that is set up to guarantee hitting 40 a season, you stay up. Then you work on that benchmark.

At the moment are we a team that averages 50 points based on the last few seasons. Regardless of it finishing 10th, 7th etc that's not good enough total to attempt to be challenging for top 4/6.

It's just a way of looking at the progress on your team IMO. It's about winning points not league positions. You here the old quote from managers saying "we don't look at league positions" and "concentrate on the next game" for a reason sometimes.

Okay yeah I get it, and I would say yes, if we say 'we have to hit 60 points' as a benchmark, then more often than not that benchmark should get Europe.

But, I don't think that's the same as saying 'anyone would be happy with 59 points if they were offered it' because 59 points without context doesn't mean anything.

Okay yeah I get it, and I would say yes, if we say 'we have to hit 60 points' as a benchmark, then more often than not that benchmark should get Europe.

But, I don't think that's the same as saying 'anyone would be happy with 59 points if they were offered it' because 59 points without context doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, I get what you mean.

Especially when we want more than that and it's settling for decent. Especially with how the season panned out.

I think it's hard to admit progress has been made due to the carrot that was dangled consistently through the season that we fumbled.

But stepping back fundamentally we were 1 win and a couple of draws from having a very good season.

Soucek, Benrahma, Lanzini and Rice would all easily get game time for us. Not to mention Antonio.
Lanzini cannot even get into the West Ham team, never mind ours! Antonio is good, but extremely injury prone. Benrahma is a bench player Moyes doesn't even want. He wanted a defender and the owner went over his head.

I think people are underestimating how much West Ham overperformed relative to their team this season. It gives them a platform to build, but given the resources at hand we should never have finished below them.

We are talking on paper of course, but we have a much, much stronger squad. Moyes made a few ballsy decision that are worth noting. He got rid of their two record signings Haller and Anderson because he didn't like their attitudes. A very ruthless approach that build up the team spirit, as they were all pulling in one direction.

Lanzini cannot even get into the West Ham team, never mind ours! Antonio is good, but extremely injury prone. Benrahma is a bench player Moyes doesn't even want. He wanted a defender and the owner went over his head.

I think people are underestimating how much West Ham overperformed relative to their team this season. It gives them a platform to build, but given the resources at hand we should never have finished below them.

We are talking on paper of course, but we have a much, much stronger squad. Moyes made a few ballsy decision that are worth noting. He got rid of their two record signings Haller and Anderson because he didn't like their attitudes. A very ruthless approach that build up the team spirit, as they were all pulling in one direction.

Soon as fans are back in the stadium West Ham are back mid table.

Huge fan of Carlo but it's not possible to see this season as anything other than a disappointment.

The concern is a lack of obvious progress.

He gets another season no question, but he needs to deliver in it.
One way to look at it, would klopp or pep done better in their first year and a half with this group. Most would say yes I’d imagine, But city had a much better squad 5yrs ago than we have now. Liverpool for all the money they brought in from Sterling & Suarez, they always spent big and had expensive squads.

Unfortunately we’ve added 4 players to a squad that finished 12th and 3 of them have missed chunks of the season. I think Carlo has to take some of the blame, but this team 10 games ago where in With a good shout of Europe and have totally bottled IMO.

I think another summer hopefully 4/5 new signings and then this team will have to start moving up the league, if we finish 10th next season then Carlo will have nowhere to hide.

Really?

Do you not think we hit the same road bumps with Conte?
Conte at least has a plan. We're going to play a 3-5-2/3-4-3 like system. He knows what types of players he needs to find for the system. He can make useful players out of seemingly useless ones (Victor Moses spring to mind immediately). Crucially the system is adaptable. He can play more aggressively when needing to beat teams and more passively when holding teams is preferable. I rate him highly and think it would be different.

The issue is he's not exactly leaving clubs in a good place and is a very demanding character. It wouldn't be prefect but at this moment it is no contest for me.

Conte at least has a plan. We're going to play a 3-5-2/3-4-3 like system. He knows what types of players he needs to find for the system. He can make useful players out of seemingly useless ones (Victor Moses spring to mind immediately). Crucially the system is adaptable. He can play more aggressively when needing to beat teams and more passively when holding teams is preferable. I rate him highly and think it would be different.

The issue is he's not exactly leaving clubs in a good place and is a very demanding character. It wouldn't be prefect but at this moment it is no contest for me.

How much of the above fits Ancelotti too though?

I mean maybe he does it better than Ancelotti. I'm not sure what Conte wants, and what Brands wants to do really matches up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back