Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sort of thinking ten points better off this season is progress but then someone earlier in the thread argued well that he only managed the second half of the season last year, and that Silva had left him with a meagre points total for half of that base season. I’m a sucker for a superior argument like.

I’m firmly in the give him time camp and my reasoning is simple, if anyone can fix Everton then it’s probably him. He can attract talent we wouldn’t possibly get to help us get a leg up, and it’s refreshing to see a versatile manager employing different tactical systems rather than the one trick slugs we’ve had as his predecessors. I’ve seen green shoots of cracking the glass ceiling with the wins at Spurs, Arsenal and Big Red, throw in the Leicester away win and the fight back at Old Trafford to that too. I’m probably more patient as I’m verging on apathy after so many false dawns and painful weekends, the chopping and changing hasn’t work even with some serious backing from Moshiri. From Moyes right through to Silva we’ve tried so many different formulas and then got in a toxic boom bust cycle of 18 month managers, poor recruitment and the new man trying to sift through the patchwork of players with an understandably impatient fanbase getting upset when the next chronic dip happens. So I’m tired, we’ve been going nowhere really for 26 years so what’s giving this man a couple of years and seeing if the formula of “patience” bucks the trend. Lest we turn into hysteria ridden Geordies narrating our own pitiful soap opera. If Ancelotti fails then sack it, just fold us and reclaim our weekends for stuff that serves us better than Everton.

I get the angst as we’ve once again passed up great opportunities to level up this season and the past few months have been really bad. It’s not hysteria to have some of those decisions criticised. Progress usually isn’t linear though so this plateauing won’t be in vain if, and it’s a big if, Ancelotti takes the falling short in quality and character from some of his players as a mandate to exit them out and attract them with players who remedy it.

So as a simple as that in my head. Which is a simple head but hey, keep on killing each other in here as it’s decent entertainment.
I think a man of Ancelotti’s experience will have learnt a lot about the players mentality and work ethics this season
He has seen the ones he can depend on and those that need binning
Unfortunately one list is as long as the other
Hence Carlo talking of binning FFP and of him openly saying we will challenge for top 4 next season
He has a plan and player in mind to make that plan work
That’s why we are hearing talk of Moshiri looking for a private investor to put in 100m for transfers alone
Usmanov brought Carlo here and made him certain promises , he will want to be seen as a man of his word
We sat every summer that this year will be an important summer but I have a feeling that we will spend like never before
Moshiri will need a top 4 team for the new stadium
Carlo inherited a team put together by Moyes ( Coleman ) Martinez , Silva and Allardyce
It’ll take time to have a Carlo team and squad

Let’s be honest here
Winning at the pit post Christmas is not a big deal
FFS even we managed it

But interestingly when it suits a point of view it becomes insignificant. Fact remains, as freaky as it is, they beat two of the top 5 away.
I dont think there are many givens in this league now.

I was sort of thinking ten points better off this season is progress but then someone earlier in the thread argued well that he only managed the second half of the season last year, and that Silva had left him with a meagre points total for half of that base season. I’m a sucker for a superior argument like.

I’m firmly in the give him time camp and my reasoning is simple, if anyone can fix Everton then it’s probably him. He can attract talent we wouldn’t possibly get to help us get a leg up, and it’s refreshing to see a versatile manager employing different tactical systems rather than the one trick slugs we’ve had as his predecessors. I’ve seen green shoots of cracking the glass ceiling with the wins at Spurs, Arsenal and Big Red, throw in the Leicester away win and the fight back at Old Trafford to that too. I’m probably more patient as I’m verging on apathy after so many false dawns and painful weekends, the chopping and changing hasn’t work even with some serious backing from Moshiri. From Moyes right through to Silva we’ve tried so many different formulas and then got in a toxic boom bust cycle of 18 month managers, poor recruitment and the new man trying to sift through the patchwork of players with an understandably impatient fanbase getting upset when the next chronic dip happens. So I’m tired, we’ve been going nowhere really for 26 years so what’s giving this man a couple of years and seeing if the formula of “patience” bucks the trend. Lest we turn into hysteria ridden Geordies narrating our own pitiful soap opera. If Ancelotti fails then sack it, just fold us and reclaim our weekends for stuff that serves us better than Everton.

I get the angst as we’ve once again passed up great opportunities to level up this season and the past few months have been really bad. It’s not hysteria to have some of those decisions criticised. Progress usually isn’t linear though so this plateauing won’t be in vain if, and it’s a big if, Ancelotti takes the falling short in quality and character from some of his players as a mandate to exit them out and attract them with players who remedy it.

So as a simple as that in my head. Which is a simple head but hey, keep on killing each other in here as it’s decent entertainment.

This is a really rational way of approaching things. The baseline figure of 49 poijnts to 59 points is a good improvement. In fact it's a really good improvement. Even if you factor in Silva got 54 points in his first full season, it's about 10% improvement on that. If we can improve again next year to get to 64 we will be within touching distance of the top 4 and most of us would sign up for that.

The difficulty you have is if you start plugging in different numbers that are no less valid. Ancelotti got 30 from 20 last season which is 57 points per season across a 38 game period. So again there has been some improvement but actually quite marginal improvement overall. Likewise if you look at this season specifically, you got 12 from our first 4 and 47 from 34. The latter figure gets us to 52 points a season. So actually no real improvement on the entirity of last season. Likewise, we only got 26 points fron the final 19 games, so again 52 points a season. That would be the concern to me. That the actual improvement we have seen is largely based off Silva doing poorly last season and based in the first half/4 games of this season.

The point about number of games is also an important one though. He has now just overtaken Koeman and Silva for number of games played, and we know both had the players essentially throw the towel in on them at a similar point. I do think you're right to talk about a pattern. When the same pattern keeps re-appearing, which it has since Martinez really, then it's unlikely to be changed by just replacing another manager. You hope that if the manager stays and some of the players go, that will start to sink in for some of the team.

This is a really rational way of approaching things. The baseline figure of 49 poijnts to 59 points is a good improvement. In fact it's a really good improvement. Even if you factor in Silva got 54 points in his first full season, it's about 10% improvement on that. If we can improve again next year to get to 64 we will be within touching distance of the top 4 and most of us would sign up for that.

The difficulty you have is if you start plugging in different numbers that are no less valid. Ancelotti got 30 from 20 last season which is 57 points per season across a 38 game period. So again there has been some improvement but actually quite marginal improvement overall. Likewise if you look at this season specifically, you got 12 from our first 4 and 47 from 34. The latter figure gets us to 52 points a season. So actually no real improvement on the entirity of last season. Likewise, we only got 26 points fron the final 19 games, so again 52 points a season. That would be the concern to me. That the actual improvement we have seen is largely based off Silva doing poorly last season and based in the first half/4 games of this season.

The point about number of games is also an important one though. He has now just overtaken Koeman and Silva for number of games played, and we know both had the players essentially throw the towel in on them at a similar point. I do think you're right to talk about a pattern. When the same pattern keeps re-appearing, which it has since Martinez really, then it's unlikely to be changed by just replacing another manager. You hope that if the manager stays and some of the players go, that will start to sink in for some of the team.
Good post, particularly the last paragraph.

Inappropriate Behaviour
Most has been said here. Most agree that at the moment it is best to give Ancelotti another season. We disagree a bit whether we have actually had progression this year. Many people agree that the football we have played is absolutely terrible, but for some it has nothing to say, because they only look at the result. They do not even bother to watch the match.

We all agree that Everton need new and better players, some argue that Ancelotti is synonymous with success if we get Mbappe, Haaland, Neymar, Kevin De Bruyne, Casmeiro, Varane, etc., and that is proof that he is the world's best manager. Others are a little more skeptical, but they are after all chronic bedwetters, and are not worthy of the Ancelotti sect.

This sect consists mostly of Americans (soccer) who have supported Everton for 5 years, and believe they deserve some form of recognition. In addition, Trumpism has met its superior in a 150-year-old demented man. They must therefore have something to fill their days with, apart from quality American entertainment such as Kardashian and company.

I myself am just a bed-wetting Viking, who once in a while takes a few trips over to England to rape and plunder the locals - especially the red ones, but when I'm home in my Viking cabin I just want some entertainment on TV. Then I like to watch men fighting against each other on a football field. Lots of aggression and blood. Netflix and American entertainment do not seem to do the trick, suddenly it is accepted that men can wear make-up, cry and operate on a vagina. It is also not allowed to celebrate Odin anymore, because he was apparently a little too fond of the female sex and they did not give their consent. It seems that the whole world has embraced Nietzsche's notion of slave morality.

But to the point, this season has been special, and I think we therefore have to wait until next season to conclude.

Most has been said here. Most agree that at the moment it is best to give Ancelotti another season. We disagree a bit whether we have actually had progression this year. Many people agree that the football we have played is absolutely terrible, but for some it has nothing to say, because they only look at the result. They do not even bother to watch the match.

We all agree that Everton need new and better players, some argue that Ancelotti is synonymous with success if we get Mbappe, Haaland, Neymar, Kevin De Bruyne, Casmeiro, Varane, etc., and that is proof that he is the world's best manager. Others are a little more skeptical, but they are after all chronic bedwetters, and are not worthy of the Ancelotti sect.

This sect consists mostly of Americans (soccer) who have supported Everton for 5 years, and believe they deserve some form of recognition. In addition, Trumpism has met its superior in a 150-year-old demented man. They must therefore have something to fill their days with, apart from quality American entertainment such as Kardashian and company.

I myself am just a bed-wetting Viking, who once in a while takes a few trips over to England to rape and plunder the locals - especially the red ones, but when I'm home in my Viking cabin I just want some entertainment on TV. Then I like to watch men fighting against each other on a football field. Lots of aggression and blood. Netflix and American entertainment do not seem to do the trick, suddenly it is accepted that men can wear make-up, cry and operate on a vagina. It is also not allowed to celebrate Odin anymore, because he was apparently a little too fond of the female sex and they did not give their consent. It seems that the whole world has embraced Nietzsche's notion of slave morality.

But to the point, this season has been special, and I think we therefore have to wait until next season to conclude.
Tldr

This makes me feel less sad that I’m permanently banned from Current Affairs. Brave move taking on the yank toffees though, hats off. Will watch with interest mate.

Subtle underlining issues of sexism, homophobia, xenophobia. Long paragraphs.

My prognosis - Bed wetter.

Subscription - talcum powder, clean sheets, warning.

Up the West Virginia blues.

OK 1 of 3. Now just talc and sheets to go and you're a new man.

#WestVerginiaMassive

I wonder how many times you’ve flagged MI5 to search the hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back