Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has the pen got to do with formations? I feel like your having a conversation with yourself. The system worked for 4/5 games, the system then didn't work as we lost 3, he changed system today, we won, yipeeeeeeeeeee!!
What it has to do is show that we didn't actually defend very well.

I get it, we won. But it wasn't a way of playing that is going to work very often and Fulham are easily one of the 4 or 5 worst sides. We have to do better and I don't think we will unless we settle at the last on a 3 man or 4 man backline.

Sound, so we go back to the flat back 4 of the 3 games previous and get beat yes?

He picks a side or a system that he thinks will win us the game. He isn't doing it on purpose to wind us up is he.

If you want us to consider how to stop shipping goals... Well he tried something different today in the hope that we would stop shipping goals.

The formation on paper actually solves a lot of our problems. James is in the middle, Richarlison is closed to DCL, there’s actually a use for Iwobi, and we get an additional centreback to help at the back. We lost control in the second half yes but anyone could see from the first half we could have hit 4 or 5 away from home, I don’t care that it’s Fulham, doing that to any premier league team is the sign of a top performance. Some of the attacking build up play was of the highest quality and is in danger of being glossed over too much here. Recent Everton sides haven’t had a habit of winning away from home regularly so 3 out of 5 means something is going right.

Yes there’s still problems to be sorted out of course there are but Carlo at least tried something new to solve them today and ended up with three points.

What it has to do is show that we didn't actually defend very well.

I get it, we won. But it wasn't a way of playing that is going to work very often and Fulham are easily one of the 4 or 5 worst sides. We have to do better and I don't think we will unless we settle at the last on a 3 man or 4 man backline.

The back 3 defended crap today yes? We both agree on that yes? The pen though is just one of them things, Godfrey gets turned by a piece of skill and gets caught out. No issues with that, that happens and it's football.

We both agree we have to do better, I agree with you yes.

I'm just saying imo that it's okay to have the option of a back 3, back 4, back 5, it isn't about the defense only, its baiut the whole system.

1st half great, 2nd half crap, end result, win for the Everton so today, regardless how bad that 2nd half was, it done the trick didn't it.

The formation on paper actually solves a lot of our problems. James is in the middle, Richarlison is closed to DCL, there’s actually a use for Iwobi, and we get an additional centreback to help at the back. We lost control in the second half yes but anyone could see from the first half we could have hit 4 or 5 away from home, I don’t care that it’s Fulham, doing that to any premier league team is the sign of a top performance. Some of the attacking build up play was of the highest quality and is in danger of being glossed over too much here. Recent Everton sides haven’t had a habit of winning away from home regularly so 3 out of 5 means something is going right.

Yes there’s still problems to be sorted out of course there are but Carlo at least tried something new to solve them today and ended up with three points.

Our away form since Carlo has been here..... I'll check tomorrow but I'm sure we've won more games away under him than we had under Silva and Allardyce. If not it'll be mighty close.

The back 3 defended crap today yes? We both agree on that yes? The pen though is just one of them things, Godfrey gets turned by a piece of skill and gets caught out. No issues with that, that happens and it's football.

I'm just saying imo that it's okay to have the option of a back 3, back 4, back 5, it isn't about the defense only, its baiut the whole system.

1st half great, 2nd half crap, end result, win for the Everton so today, regardless how bad that 2nd half was, it done the trick didn't it.
I think Godfrey is in a better position to defend that if he's more familiar with the system being played.

I think Godfrey is in a better position to defend that if he's more familiar with the system being played.

I'm not disagreeing with you mate. But do you know what he's familiar with? We've had a Norwich fan come on tonight discussing with you that he's had to play centre back with players who are centre mids. So whose to say he isn't a better cb in a 3?

Give it time mate, your opinion is great.... Just let's give things time and let them develop. There's a million things I'm not happy with but Ancelotti needs time and patience.

Today is a fkin great day as an Evertonian because we won... An away game..... Again!!!!! lol

I'm not disagreeing with you mate. But do you know what he's familiar with? We've had a Norwich fan come on tonight discussing with you that he's had to play centre back with players who are centre mids. So whose to say he isn't a better cb in a 3?

Give it time mate, your opinion is great.... Just let's give things time and let them develop. There's a million things I'm not happy with but Ancelotti needs time and patience.

Today is a fkin great day as an Evertonian because we won... An away game..... Again!!!!! lol
Well I do know he's more familiar with a back four as that's primarily what Norwich played.

I just want consistency so we can get familiar with what we're running and get good at it. I don't think switching works.

You keep saying it is nice to have options but I really don't think it is necessary to make that large of a tactical switch if your primary set up is a good one.

It only works though when the wing backs push on and it becomes a 3-4-3. First half we were excellent and as you say some of the attacking play was excellent. Iwobi and Digne were superb and a real threat.

The workload wasn't sustainable though. Richy and Hamez like to tuck in so the wing backs end up having to control the entire flanks. Once the intensity dropped and it became a back 5 in the second half the two man midfield was over run especially when Loftus-Cheek came on.

Well I do know he's more familiar with a back four as that's primarily what Norwich played.

I just want consistency so we can get familiar with what we're running and get good at it. I don't think switching works.

You keep saying it is nice to have options but I really don't think it is necessary to make that large of a tactical switch if your primary set up is a good one.

We shall agree to disagree then mate and leave it at that ;)

Fulham are nailed on to get relegated and shouldn't be having 65% possession 2nd half and having 9 shots. If it was a one off then it would just about be acceptable but it isn't. Once our energy levels drop we become a sitting duck.

Fulham didn't have 9 shots 2nd half because we were defensively poor it was because yet again our midfield was overrun. Fulham overplayed massively and turned down a load of opportunities to cross or shoot but still had 9 shots.

I'm with @maccavennie on this.

Give me Carlo ancellotti trying a different shape/system and players, after a number of poor performances and results, over a Marco Silva/moyes/koeman/allardyce keeping the same inneffective tactics with the same favourite underperforming players starting, and invariably loosing.

Our previous managers were so rigid tactically it was painful & depressingly predictable, and we all know poor performing favourites always got selected time and again, to let us down.

Carlo tried something different with what he had available and by and large it worked, especially first half - iwobi did well at rwb, James did ok centrally, plus it kept that fraud siggurdson out of the starting 11 - wins all round!

Screenshot_20201123-082937.webp

I think all the best teams have a system/formation that is played throughout the club. I just think that maybe Ancelotti is undecided how to get the best as yet, out of this fairly new group of players. Especially because we keep leaking goals, but I just think that’s because our centre backs just aren’t good enough.
I mean I’m not sure who sets the precedent for the system that gets played right from the first team through to the academy. Is it within the DOFs remit? Or it is set by the first team manager? I mean you see the benefit of Liverpool even this morning, their kids just come in and know their job. They all work on the same system and obviously train very similar right through to the academy. I’m fairly sure Man Utd did the same under Alex ferguson and city will do similar. Ancelottis not been here long enough to really implement something like that, I’m not even sure he’s that type of manager to truly run a club like maybe ferguson and now Klopp. That would definitely be the end goal but for now we need to find a system to suit and suitable replacements when we have a Coleman out. Which we don’t have. RB ASAP please Marcel. Only had three years to find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back