Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that I’m still getting used to, and makes me very nervous - how deep we drop to defend free kicks outside our box. Never seen any team do what we do.

It's working so far though as we've only conceded twice from set pieces according to whoscored.com this season.

In addition to @Paul Rideout's point above, the other thing defending deep from a free kick does, it cuts out the 'no mans land' space between the back line and the keeper where a quality ball played in leaves us powerless to defend it and usually needs a touch, no matter how good or bad it is, for it to go in. Any ball that gets played behind the defence with our set up probably ends up being the keepers or goes out for a goal kick.

One thing that I’m still getting used to, and makes me very nervous - how deep we drop to defend free kicks outside our box. Never seen any team do what we do.
Yeah i've noticed that. I'd thought maybe it was maybe to compensate for Pickford's indecision, and reduce that area where he has to decide what to do, but we did it last night too. Don't mind if it works like.

Carlo got plenty wrong tactically in the bad run we had but when he gets things right it is a joy to behold. His subs to see games out are class and little tactical tweaks like switching Iwobi and Richarlison last night sure things up to make sure if we are ahead we get the points. Under Martinez, Koeman, Silva we were always liable to ship a late goal or have some freak result, I don't feel the same with Carlo as he seems to have genuine tactical nous.

The contrast between how pragmatic Carlo has been in the last few games against the likes of Martinez , Silva and Koeman is the clearest indication and reason that you will get as to why Carlo is a serial winner and the other 3 are managerial pygmies in comparison.

Carlo is presented with a problem and works it out. The others stick ridgidly to their "philosophies " and dogma.

He tried to go "toe to toe" against Leeds and came off worse. 3/4/3 with midfielders as wing backs patently didn't work so he changed it. The others would have carried on with the same plan given their ego and instransigence.

Delighted as I am that Gordon at last got some minutes I remain puzzled why Nkounkou doesn't even make the bench , but one thing above all is absolutely clear ......Carlo knows best.

As long as Carlo has the hunger and desire you would be a fool not to want him as Everton manager.

The contrast between how pragmatic Carlo has been in the last few games against the likes of Martinez , Silva and Koeman is the clearest indication and reason that you will get as to why Carlo is a serial winner and the other 3 are managerial pygmies in comparison.

Carlo is presented with a problem and works it out. The others stick ridgidly to their "philosophies " and dogma.

He tried to go "toe to toe" against Leeds and came off worse. 3/4/3 with midfielders as wing backs patently didn't work so he changed it. The others would have carried on with the same plan given their ego and instransigence.

Delighted as I am that Gordon at last got some minutes I remain puzzled why Nkounkou doesn't even make the bench , but one thing above all is absolutely clear ......Carlo knows best.

As long as Carlo has the hunger and desire you would be a fool not to want him as Everton manager.
He's actually been quite fortuitous in that he picked Delph and he got injured and that led to Godfrey being on the bench and replacing him, He's tried and tested with various formations and it failed hopefully he realizes that simple suits Everton best. The squad has limitations and can't easily convert to a 3 at the back at the click of a finger and I think he'll realize it now and push on.

I totally get what you're saying in the first paragraph and i'm inclined to agree. Not to be negative though(and certainly not to criticise Ancelotti) but I think we need to see what happens over a longer period. I think the last couple of games have had an element of stumbling onto something that works. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a skill in it's own way, but i'm not sure we've made these changes through choice, it's been more out of necessity and it's worked. I think it will be interesting to see what happens when James is back and if that changes the balance of the side. I think it will also be interesting to see how this set up fares in games where we have to make the running. It's been well suited to games where the opposition want the ball and we can break on them, but it might not work so well against teams where we need the full backs to create more, and need to push higher up the pitch. We have a habit of getting carried away after a couple of results (good or bad) and thinking everything has changed, I think we'd be wise to just wait and see a little bit in this case.

I totally get what you're saying in the first paragraph and i'm inclined to agree. Not to be negative though(and certainly not to criticise Ancelotti) but I think we need to see what happens over a longer period. I think the last couple of games have had an element of stumbling onto something that works. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a skill in it's own way, but i'm not sure we've made these changes through choice, it's been more out of necessity and it's worked. I think it will be interesting to see what happens when James is back and if that changes the balance of the side. I think it will also be interesting to see how this set up fares in games where we have to make the running. It's been well suited to games where the opposition want the ball and we can break on them, but it might not work so well against teams where we need the full backs to create more, and need to push higher up the pitch. We have a habit of getting carried away after a couple of results (good or bad) and thinking everything has changed, I think we'd be wise to just wait and see a little bit in this case.
Playing James wide of a front 3 worked with an experienced and competant full back ( Coleman ) .

Without an established full back perhaps he will play James in the Sigurdsson role of late ( 10) and / or rotate him to preserve fitness.

Alternatively he may think that Holgate is a good enough defender to allow James to drift and neglect any defensive duties.

I suspect it will be "horses for courses".

Not conceded from a corner or freekick this season.

Could be wrong like but can't remember one

Just looked...conceded 2 from set plays. But they were free kicks?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back