Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best quote that, he said we were sitting second and supporters can dream, and so they should, basically.
It’s a nice change from the theJagielka/moyes talk of “holding on by our fingernails.”
Only thing I've heard till now in years of following PL from Everton managers is some bs about bringing knifes to gunfight and pretty much downplaying the season expectations before season even began as some sort of alibi for failing/not even trying.

I mean, it's been a long time since Everton were a relevant club (from my perspective at least), but if you're not going in to each game to win and compete to your best, what's even the point of playing? At least that's my mentality, I don't believe in that Olympic slogan bs "it's important to participate". No, it really is not, anyone can participate.

Only thing I've heard till now in years of following PL from Everton managers is some bs about bringing knifes to gunfight and pretty much downplaying the season expectations before season even began as some sort of alibi for failing/not even trying.

I mean, it's been a long time since Everton were a relevant club (from my perspective at least), but if you're not going in to each game to win and compete to your best, what's even the point of playing? At least that's my mentality, I don't believe in that Olympic slogan bs "it's important to participate". No, it really is not, anyone can participate.
Or the old favourite “1st we need to get 40 points and see from there”

Moyes worked wonders with a much smaller budget. Ancelotti has done great with a good amount to spend but a more competitive league than when Moyes was in charge.

Absolutely. There are different circumstances for both in what is surrounding them ofcourse. Nothing is as cut and dry as 'Well they both have the same first 33 games in charge so they're equally as good'

Just an interesting statistic that's all. I was 11 or 12 when Moyes was appointed so I can't remember too much of his early days. However now with CA we are seeing the improvements. We are not perfect but we are certainly better.

Heard Big Leeds are top and unbeaten on xG. Genius that Bielsa, doesn’t do things by the book.

I despite the whole xG nonsense.

Football does not, and will never work to a X amount of shots = X amount of goals. That's the beauty of it. We've just won 3 games deservedly by sitting deep and letting others have the ball, yet being efficient with shots. Other games in the past we've had loads but couldn't score.

It is the most pointless, unrealistic statistic going.

Moyes worked wonders with a much smaller budget. Ancelotti has done great with a good amount to spend but a more competitive league than when Moyes was in charge.

Ancelloti hasnt spent that much in todays market. Almost any player now is 20m minimum.
Moyes was great at sniffing out value for money and character. He's weeded out a few of them at west ham and they are not a soft touch now.

It is important to participate. It's just redefining the word. Going for a 0-0 away from home isn't participating. End of the day you are better winning half and losing half than drawing all your games. I'd rather lose a few more competing/participating in the contest, and gain the extra points. Only manager I can remember who was remotely positive was Martinez, but then when ti went wrong he wouldn't come out and be truthful about it going wrong (or worse, he genuinely thought those things).

I still can't believe we have a world class manager, who approaches each game tactically and will change it up if he feels he has to. He doesn't hope the team can do well, he expects it and that attitude rubs onto the players. Bringing in The quality he has, makes others know if they don't perform they are replaced, simple as that.

He is getting some sort of tune out of Sigurdsson, not perfect, but he's been a hell of a lot better, more motivated, sharper on the ball. He has had Alex Iwobi do a job at full back, now looking fitter, sharper, brighter, progressive on the ball, taking responsibility, trying to create in a winger role. Tom Davies has improved, a good first half until the penalty yesterday. He absolutely has found how to get Michael Keane playing to his full potential. Even in our poor games this season Keane is the one that got the 'despite the team performance keane did ok'.

We have had an injury crisis (of sorts) of our own and he hasn't whinged about it, he has worked a solution that has seen us get three HUGE WINS against Arsenal (yes, a weaker than usual arsenal but even so, they are low on confidence but not bad players), Chelsea (a strong, attacking Chelsea team) and Leicester (who are a good team under Rodgers).

-

Maybe I am more greatful than others because I was born in 1991, too young for 95. All I've had in charge is Moyes, who did a very good job for many years despite his negative attitude/tactics. Martinez who gave us a fantastic year but failed to find any consistency or faults within his own system. Silva who started well again but clearly wasn't up to it. Allardyce who is a corrupt gravy teet loving dinosaur and Koeman, who again, very percentage based football, carried by Lukaku.

Last edited:
Absolutely. There are different circumstances for both in what is surrounding them ofcourse. Nothing is as cut and dry as 'Well they both have the same first 33 games in charge so they're equally as good'

Just an interesting statistic that's all. I was 11 or 12 when Moyes was appointed so I can't remember too much of his early days. However now with CA we are seeing the improvements. We are not perfect but we are certainly better.
Not to mention Moyes had a glass ceiling, no matter what he just couldn’t break through it. Carlo doesn’t have that.
Carlo just needs to get wins at Arsenal/RS/Chelsea and Utd to break the hoodoos.
Yesterday when they should we win, it would only be our 9th win against Arsenal in 56. I was shocked I though we had beaten them more at home

Football does not, and will never work to a X amount of shots = X amount of goals. That's the beauty of it. We've just won 3 games deservedly by sitting deep and letting others have the ball, yet being efficient with shots. Other games in the past we've had loads but couldn't score.

Yes. In fact a lot of stats are pointless and misleading, for example Iwobi doesn’t get an assist for dropping the ball on DCL’s head right in front of goal, so people will forget that he did actually set up the goal because it doesn’t say on WhoScored that he did.

I like the strength that he is building into the team. Playing 4 CB's obviously distorts this as they are naturally big lads, but all over the pitch players seem to be outmuscling opponents in a way that they didn't used to - from DCL becoming a man, to Richie doing what he does, solidity in the middle with Allen and Doucoure, even Iwobi has been occasionally brushing people off in recent games and Siggurdsson has become a genuine part of the block.

I'm sure it the mental change rather than any physical beefing up, but great to see and no surprise we have become so dangerous at set pieces as a result and generally rock-solid defending them.

It is important to participate. It's just redefining the word. Going for a 0-0 away from home isn't participating. End of the day you are better winning half and losing half than drawing all your games. I'd rather lose a few more competing/participating in the contest, and gain the extra points. Only manager I can remember who was remotely positive was Martinez, but then when ti went wrong he wouldn't come out and be truthful about it going wrong (or worse, he genuinely thought those things).

I still can't believe we have a world class manager, who approaches each game tactically and will change it up if he feels he has to. He doesn't hope the team can do well, he expects it and that attitude rubs onto the players. Bringing in The quality he has, makes others know if they don't perform they are replaced, simple as that.

He is getting some sort of tune out of Sigurdsson, not perfect, but he's been a hell of a lot better, more motivated, sharper on the ball. He has had Alex Iwobi do a job at full back, now looking fitter, sharper, brighter, progressive on the ball, taking responsibility, trying to create in a winger role. Tom Davies has improved, a good first half until the penalty yesterday. He absolutely has found how to get Michael Keane playing to his full potential. Even in our [Poor language removed] games this season Keane is the one that got the 'despite the team performance keane did ok'.

We have had an injury crisis (of sorts) of our own and he hasn't whinged about it, he has worked a solution that has seen us get three HUGE WINS against Arsenal (yes, a weaker than usual arsenal but even so, they are low on confidence but not bad players), Chelsea (a strong, attacking Chelsea team) and Leicester (who are a good team under Rodgers).

-

Maybe I am more greatful than others because I was born in 1991, too young for 95. All I've had in charge is Moyes, who did a very good job for many years despite his negative attitude/tactics. Martinez who gave us a fantastic year but failed to find any consistency or faults within his own system. Silva who started well again but clearly wasn't up to it. Allardyce who is a corrupt gravy teet loving dinosaur and Koeman, who again, very percentage based football, carried by Lukaku.
Has Carlo ever blamed the ref? He seems to come out and tell the truth no matter the result few managers do that
Mourinho is a master deflector
Buck teeth blames the wind or grass
Moyes/Fat boy always blame the ref
Then Arteta seem to be the Martinez dillusion type
Koeman was a if we won it’s me if we lost it was them

Yes. In fact a lot of stats are pointless and misleading, for example Iwobi doesn’t get an assist for dropping the ball on DCL’s head right in front of goal, so people will forget that he did actually set up the goal because it doesn’t say on WhoScored that he did.
T

That's not what xG measures and Everton created the better chances last night, thus the higher xG - you wouldn't count the Arsenal penalty.

And no one uses Assists for analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back