Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I'm not sure we've done it before, but you don't want to explain your viewpoint thats fair enough mate.

I've asked a fair few questions to be fair and maybe not always offered opinion myself. I can't remember a single time when watching Ancelotti yet that I've felt we have had a long term system. Up until recently we've always been too open at the back. He has done certain things that are permanent, like with Calvert Lewin that are real positives. If you want consistency it's that. He has put a lad inmany were unsure of, and has turned him into one of the best 9's and finishers in the league. His movement has come on leaps and bounds.

I think the current iteration of the team, as systems go is the one I'd move with medium term too. We are solid. We don't give up a lot of easy goals. We don't have to play brilliantly to win (and we both know we haven't been brilliant).

The manager is not the sort of guy who has a single philosophy he works towards. He is a tinkerer. Thats his strengths, his ability to adapt in games to get us over the line. Asking him to be Pep, or Klopp would mean he would do it badly (just as they would if they tried to be him, or Mourinho). There's also no right or wrong way of doing it. I'm not saying your ideas are wrong, but also they are not automatically right. But Ancelotti is the only world class/best in class bloke at our club currently, and we would be daft, strategically not to let him do it on his terms.

So for me we should build on the back 4. Yes maybe find a way to get Digne in, but maybe get him in further forward. Build on that defensive stability though 20 goals conceded in a season isnt attainable, but we might get able to get to low 30's. Then work the other side. Try to get a bit kore end product from Iwobi, Gomes who are capable. Try to keep James pn the pitch as much as possible. Try to re-ignite Richarlinson. Maintain DCL's form for as much as possible.

Lots of ifs and buts there, but also some evidence that all of the above could be done. I'm not asking for water to wine am I? And if we do that, never mind with more additions helping us, but we could win a league. Thats what we are all after aren't we?
The defensive way if done right could work. I don't think this last few weeks is necessarily all the way right. And for me the attacking play has been down right shocking. You've got to improve that at some point, defensive emphasis or not.

Do I see us winning the league with something like 60 goals scored and 30 conceded? Not really, and I think playing how we are at the minute 60 goals is a major stretch. Which is of course why I'm really interested in changing things some but maybe back to front is the way to do it and we're closer now than we were at the start of the season.

The defensive way if done right could work. I don't think this last few weeks is necessarily all the way right. And for me the attacking play has been down right shocking. You've got to improve that at some point, defensive emphasis or not.

Do I see us winning the league with something like 60 goals scored and 30 conceded? Not really, and I think playing how we are at the minute 60 goals is a major stretch. Which is of course why I'm really interested in changing things some but maybe back to front is the way to do it and we're closer now than we were at the start of the season.

Yes I cant disagree with any of that, but to me it's a case of trying to improve the offensive output while not breaking what we have done defensively.

Now in fairness it could be as simple as swapping Godfrey for Digne. You lose a little defensively and gain a lot offensively. That might be one tweak.

The positive for me, is I can see us getting better offensively. We look better when James is on the pitch. He is nearly fit now. Gomes in most recent games looks getting back to some of his best form. Iwobi looks to be growing I confidence and it's only a matter of time until we start seeing some numbers from him. Richarlinson, by law of averages and mean regression will kick into gear soon. Digne is one of the most creative fullbacks in the league.

There is 5 things that can happen, that will help our offensive play. Only 1 really has to impact on the back 4, and again you could get Digne in ahead of Godfrey in a 4.

I am broadly optimistic but not universally so. You saw what I said post Southampton where I castigated certain players. We need to do some things better (draw when playing badly) but if we can remain solid, there are lots of grounds for optimism.

Factor in too, no European competition for us come February.

Nobody is saying we are playing well.

But we are picking up results with half the team missing most weeks.

Im not sure what you want?

Well I do, you want Niels to play, that's it, that's your whole answer to improve things.

Its mind blowing.
We could try and do better in midfield. You'll say people are missing but we've made no impact in midfield against two pretty average opponents. Actually average is generous to Sheffield United.

I think you're underestimating how nice it is to have a team that can play on both sides of the pitch also. It isn't about Niels. I'd take Garbutt right now at LB.

We could try and do better in midfield. You'll say people are missing but we've made no impact in midfield against two pretty average opponents. Actually average is generous to Sheffield United.

I think you're underestimating how nice it is to have a team that can play on both sides of the pitch also. It isn't about Niels. I'd take Garbutt right now at LB.
So you want Carlo to play number 6 for us?

Yes I cant disagree with any of that, but to me it's a case of trying to improve the offensive output while not breaking what we have done defensively.

Now in fairness it could be as simple as swapping Godfrey for Digne. You lose a little defensively and gain a lot offensively. That might be one tweak.

The positive for me, is I can see us getting better offensively. We look better when James is on the pitch. He is nearly fit now. Gomes in most recent games looks getting back to some of his best form. Iwobi looks to be growing I confidence and it's only a matter of time until we start seeing some numbers from him. Richarlinson, by law of averages and mean regression will kick into gear soon. Digne is one of the most creative fullbacks in the league.

There is 5 things that can happen, that will help our offensive play. Only 1 really has to impact on the back 4, and again you could get Digne in ahead of Godfrey in a 4.

I am broadly optimistic but not universally so. You saw what I said post Southampton where I castigated certain players. We need to do some things better (draw when playing badly) but if we can remain solid, there are lots of grounds for optimism.

Factor in too, no European competition for us come February.
Yeah he's going to have moves to make but it still is up to him to make them. What frustrated me is I felt like there were moves to make after United blasted us to ensure we'd have more of a threat in these last two and he decided against it. And fine, maybe he doesn't see those moves as viable but it just leaves me frustrated because we're better than Sheffield United and West Ham by a bigger gap than we showed.

Get James and Digne in and see where we are is perfectly fine but we've got 5 games maybe before Lucas is back and James could be gone again at any point. If what we've shown lately is all we've got in those circumstances I just don't know where it leaves us.

Saints are a tough team. They play different to most the league and it can be hard to adjust to quickly.

Probably cos theres very little progress made in his game.

Which yes, is mainly down to a lack of game time, but hes mostly not been worth it.

Hes defo not as bad as most make out, but hes a player that excels in almost nothing.
Worth it? Worth what? Almost no investment at all in him. Time or money.

Which yes, is mainly down to a lack of game time, but hes mostly not been worth it.

Hes defo not as bad as most make out, but hes a player that excels in almost nothing.

True, but with Allan out Tom still plays for me. Will pick the ball off the back 4 and begin moves and let Doucoure just do the work of 1 man as opposed to 2.

The problem with our midfield as shown all season is the remaining spot for Gomes or Sigurdsson. Both show glimpses, but both will let us down.

Personally, I say drop them both for James and keep Iwobi on the right but I just can’t see Carlo doing it. Defo could be a risk.

True, but with Allan out Tom still plays for me. Will pick the ball off the back 4 and begin moves and let Doucoure just do the work of 1 man as opposed to 2.

The problem with our midfield as shown all season is the remaining spot for Gomes or Sigurdsson. Both show glimpses, but both will let us down.

Personally, I say drop them both for James and keep Iwobi on the right but I just can’t see Carlo doing it. Defo could be a risk.
Certainly a risk. If Allan were a proper #6 I'd be strongly in favor of it. As he isn't and often opens up gaps you can't do it unless you're going truly to a 4-2-3-1. But then if you're going to play that for a couple games for Sigurdsson why not for James?

And I definitely agree on Davies. Whether he is good or not he's the guy we need at the minute.

Certainly a risk. If Allan were a proper #6 I'd be strongly in favor of it. As he isn't and often opens up gaps you can't do it unless you're going truly to a 4-2-3-1. But then if you're going to play that for a couple games for Sigurdsson why not for James?

And I definitely agree on Davies. Whether he is good or not he's the guy we need at the minute.

Defo, I know he had some wayward passes towards the end against West Ham but otherwise he did his job in that game. Just keep recycling the ball and getting it to the more attacking players.

Oh sweet Jesus, he’s absolutely abysmal. Would struggle to make much of an impact in the lower leagues. I’ve absolutely no idea how he’s getting a living out of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back