Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. We had a system that was working and he abandoned it before trying to tweak it. Now we have no system, or we have a Moyes system, either way we've put a ceiling on our self.

We had no competent full backs available so changing the system was the sensible pragmatic choice.

The issue is we have no squad depth to bring players in and remain competitive playing a progressive style. Thats the next step but an extremely hard step that needs extremely smart recruitment. Not exactly been our forte in recent years.

We had no competent full backs available so changing the system was the sensible pragmatic choice.

The issue is we have no squad depth to bring players in and remain competitive playing a progressive style. Thats the next step but an extremely hard step that needs extremely smart recruitment. Not exactly been our forte in recent years.
My feeling is if we were committed to developing a style of play he'd have put Nkounkou and Kenny in. They might both stink but at least they're players doing the job that we need in those areas.

Now that could lose us games. So if you want to win at all costs right now you can't do it. I said in the summer and I still think it is true, we would find it beneficial to spend a year just purely trying to get better and not being so worried about whether we finish 6th or 11th.

I don't fault people from seeing it different. But I'm willing to lose a few now in the name of actually competing later.

My feeling is if we were committed to developing a style of play he'd have put Nkounkou and Kenny in. They might both stink but at least they're players doing the job that we need in those areas.

Now that could lose us games. So if you want to win at all costs right now you can't do it. I said in the summer and I still think it is true, we would find it beneficial to spend a year just purely trying to get better and not being so worried about whether we finish 6th or 11th.

I don't fault people from seeing it different. But I'm willing to lose a few now in the name of actually competing later.

Nkounkou is very young so difficult to judge him yet. But I see no benefit of Ancelotti playing Kenny when he clearly doesn't rate him at all.

Ancelotti is a next match manager and I'm glad. Weve had far too many project or philosophy managers. The next match is always the important. Sure we will continue to lose games with this squad but pragmatism over philosophy all day long for me. Winning is the only culture that matters in football and thats what we need to strive towards every day.

Nkounkou is very young so difficult to judge him yet. But I see no benefit of Ancelotti playing Kenny when he clearly doesn't rate him at all.

Ancelotti is a next match manager and I'm glad. Weve had far too many project or philosophy managers. The next match is always the important. Sure we will continue to lose games with this squad but pragmatism over philosophy all day long for me. Winning is the only culture that matters in football and thats what we need to strive towards every day.
Even pragmatic managers, I'd say Ferguson is probably the peak of this in people's eyes, had things that were always a feature of their play. One year into Carlo, do we have any?

This is my concern really. Winning doesn't happen just because you really want it to.

Even pragmatic managers, I'd say Ferguson is probably the peak of this in people's eyes, had things that were always a feature of their play. One year into Carlo, do we have any?

This is my concern really. Winning doesn't happen just because you really want it to.

Ferguson was on the verge of getting sacked and didn’t deliver his first trophy until his 4th season. And they were pretty crap

Please make it stop. Just stop.

I think it's a misunderstanding. Guerdiola has his philosophy because he thinks it is most effective, Big Sam has his philosophy because he thinks it is most effective. Ancelotti has his philosophy because he believes it is most effective.

For all managers, it's about winning. There are no managers at this level who do not adapt to the opponent, and analyze strengths and weaknesses. The first thing Guerdiola did when he took over City was to train on how the team would handle long and direct balls.

But you will rarely find managers who are so pragmatic that in one match they play zone defense, while in the next match man marking. All managers have some guidelines. If not, it would be difficult to have any continuity in the training. If you do not have a certain kind of continuity, then it is difficult to get better.

Ferguson was on the verge of getting sacked and didn’t deliver his first trophy until his 4th season. And they were pretty crap
Yeah that's fair. I'm not saying Carlo has to win anything now fwiw.

I'm just a little worried about what the direction is guys! I think Carlo can do it still.

Yeah that's fair. I'm not saying Carlo has to win anything now fwiw.

I'm just a little worried about what the direction is guys! I think Carlo can do it still.
The direction is simple, he’s changed his system to adapt to the injuries he had; 4-3-3 to 3-4-3, which didn’t work, to a hybrid 4-4-1-1 and ensure we’re tight at the back and not conceding freely

it got us 12 points from 15

No it isn't right. I want a manager who has is going to bring us consistency. That could mean the same formation but it doesn't have to. It does mean that going from a back four to a back three and the back to back four is probably not it. It does mean that playing attacking, possession based for 2 months and then conservative and secure for the next two is probably not it either.

But at the same time I'd like for the consistency to be without a fatal flaw like Silva and Martinez had. I don't think that is really asking as much as you're trying to make it sound like.
I would like to see some sort of identity that is adaptable when differing circumstances occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back