Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has fixed the defense, but perhaps it’s been an over correction, because we are certainly struggling to score and break teams down when we have sustained possession.

I wonder if Carlo thinks a formation change may be a play?

I think a 4-4-2 as a diamond could work. Still defensively solid, doesn’t require pacey players which we clearly lack, and I think Richarlison is much better as CF.

Olsen/Pickford
Godfrey Mina Keane Digne
Allan
Doucoure Gomes
James
DCL Richarlison

I wouldn’t dare tell the Don what to do, but I wonder if he thinks it’s time to shake us up going forward.

I wonder if Leicester fans are having a meltdown right now and calling the competency and ability of Rodgers into question. Or demanding that half their team to be fired into the sun. My guess is probably not and yet despite the fact that I've been avoiding social media since the game and can't say for certain, I'm still fairly confident that all of those things will of happened with our fans.........

TBF they could be doing that just because B-Rod is such a tit

He has fixed the defense, but perhaps it’s been an over correction, because we are certainly struggling to score and break teams down when we have sustained possession.

I wonder if Carlo thinks a formation change may be a play?

I think a 4-4-2 as a diamond could work. Still defensively solid, doesn’t require pacey players which we clearly lack, and I think Richarlison is much better as CF.

Olsen/Pickford
Godfrey Mina Keane Digne
Allan
Doucoure Gomes
James
DCL Richarlison

I wouldn’t dare tell the Don what to do, but I wonder if he thinks it’s time to shake us up going forward.
It's a decent idea but I don't think you can have as limited an attacking fullback as Godfrey and not end up with a pretty unbalanced team in attack.

It's a decent idea but I don't think you can have as limited an attacking fullback as Godfrey and not end up with a pretty unbalanced team in attack.
I agree with that, I think Godfrey would be better attack wise on his preferred foot. But it’s definitely a weak spot in that formation.

A pacey, attacking RB could be quite transformational to the team, and the way we play.

We have known that our central midfield has been weak as gnats urine for ages. That’s why Carlo brought in three new central players last summer. Unfortunately, the best of all three is out with an injury, so we have had to revert to having the likes of Siggy, Davies and Gomes in central midfield.

It’s the weak central midfield that sees us coming off second best on the pitch, and having crap full backs that can’t defend, no matter how decent they may be in advanced positions, only exacerbates our weakness.

If you have a defence that has been nicknamed ‘The wall’ you bloody well keep it. You don’t throw it away. You could improve it perhaps, by massively upgrading on Coleman or Holgate, but Godfrey is an absolute machine at LB, and we shouldn’t be taking him out of that position, at all.

Carlo is winning us more points on average this season than we have since the Martinez 72 point season. It might not be the prettiest footy but we don't have the best footballers in the squad.

We play slow footy because we have slow players bar Richarlison, DCL, and Iwobi. They will sometimes break on the counter but there are very little options keeping up with them so they inevitably move the ball up the pitch and turn backwards.

Carlo also isn't a huge fan of just committing everything forward on counter-attacks because if we turn over the ball then suddenly we are at risk ourselves. Especially if we are playing with Mina and Keane at the back who both turn like cruise ships. He prefers the team to be patient and craft openings.

I do not complain about the number of points. I have always said that the expected final placement is 8th place. That's where we're headed, and then Ancelotti has done as expected. But I am fully convinced that the same could have been achieved with a more offensive approach. An offensive approach is much more rational, as 3 points counts more than 1 point.

DCL is actually very fast, and has recorded a top speed of 35.1 km / h. Iwobi and Richarlison have more than good enough speed. Another factor is that the ball travels faster than the players. So it's just as much about how the players position themselves, and the choices you make.

This is about offensive coverage. However, it is much more risky to play horizontally the way we do. We are much more vulnerable to being taken off balance. But ok, if we are going to play that way we have to dominate the matches. You can not park the bus, and then to say that we will build up the game slowly when we get the ball. It's all about taking the opponent off balance, and it's terribly difficult to do when you park the bus, and when you win it, refuse to play forward because you're afraid of being caught off balance yourself.

I do not complain about the number of points. I have always said that the expected final placement is 8th place. That's where we're headed, and then Ancelotti has done as expected. But I am fully convinced that the same could have been achieved with a more offensive approach. An offensive approach is much more rational, as 3 points counts more than 1 point.

DCL is actually very fast, and has recorded a top speed of 35.1 km / h. Iwobi and Richarlison have more than good enough speed. Another factor is that the ball travels faster than the players. So it's just as much about how the players position themselves, and the choices you make.

This is about offensive coverage. However, it is much more risky to play horizontally the way we do. We are much more vulnerable to being taken off balance. But ok, if we are going to play that way we have to dominate the matches. You can not park the bus, and then to say that we will build up the game slowly when we get the ball. It's all about taking the opponent off balance, and it's terribly difficult to do when you park the bus, and when you win it, refuse to play forward because you're afraid of being caught off balance yourself.
We don’t get Carlo to get 8th sorry.

At best, we manage a 7 place. I do not know what kind of expectations the board has for Ancelotti, but the top 6 is completely unrealistic considering the football we play.
Which isn’t the truth because we have the same point as the 6th place team at this point. Playing certain type of football means success is nonsense. We had seen this under Martinez and Silva.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back