Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any team playing away from home with five of their best players missing is going to struggle.

We’ve had 7 games. 4 of them away. Two of those games against top 6 teams. It’s not been that bad a start. The table will be skewed a little bit as some teams will have had 4 home games against easier opposition. We need a reaction in the home game against United. Digne, James and maybe Coleman will be back. A win there and we are right back on track .
That's true. But we had enough quality to still win there today. The opposition were dreadful. There for the taking. Playing Gomes up front and wide was an abysmal use of resources by Ancelotti. He is of course an asset (CA), but he looked like he didn't know what to do with him because he already had a central two midfielders in mind. Either play Gordon or go to a different shape.

Sorry, although he has my total support, he ballsed up today. And his comments about the GK situation are just bizarre.

Any team playing away from home with five of their best players missing is going to struggle.

We’ve had 7 games. 4 of them away. Two of those games against top 6 teams. It’s not been that bad a start. The table will be skewed a little bit as some teams will have had 4 home games against easier opposition. We need a reaction in the home game against United. Digne, James and maybe Coleman will be back. A win there and we are right back on track .

?

IMO he should have started one of Bernard/Gordon/Iwobi instead of Gomes, kept the same shape we have played all season and at least offered some sort of threat in transition/on the counter.

I’d have also like to see Doucoure played further up field giving us some more legs in the final third.

Newcastle weren’t/ aren’t as big a threat as Southampton - they don’t press hard and think we played into their hands with our team selection and tactics.

So basically, your whole point then is he should have played one of Bernard, Gordon or Iwobi instead of Gomes?

Hardly massive, that.

For me, Gordon is an unknown quantity. Similar to all them years we had people crying why we didn't play Kieran Dowell. We also had a lack of experience on that flank with Niels making his debut - hardly ideal to throw two academy lads in the deep end against the likes of Saint-Maximin.

Iwobi? I mean, I'm not a fan of Gomes but... Iwobi?

We've not had the same shape all season, and I'm glad we have a pragmatic manager who plays a system to suit the players rather than the other way around. A team with Richarlison, Digne amd Rodriguez is a world away from today.

In the first half we had no one running in behind. We played a lot of side to side and backwards passes across the middle, never threatening to break through.

In possession we had Delph drop in to left back and Nkounkou out on the left wing, receiving the ball with a defender marking him, rather than having the play in front of him (like he would if he was at left back).

When we got it wide we only had DCL in the box.

We ended the match with Delph left back and Doucoure right back. I think because we started with the wrong side in the first place.

You're telling me what happened, you're not telling me what Ancelotti got wrong, and what he should have done differently.

That's true. But we had enough quality to still win there today. The opposition were dreadful. There for the taking. Playing Gomes up front and wide was an abysmal use of resources by Ancelotti. He is of course an asset (CA), but he looked like he didn't know what to do with him because he already had a central two midfielders in mind. Either play Gordon or go to a different shape.

Sorry, although he has my total support, he ballsed up today. And his comments about the GK situation are just bizarre.

100% agree with this.

Bernard, Gordon, Iwobi. 5 at the back, 442.

I didnt say they were great options but playing 5 CM's has to be the worst of them, especially when not one of them is creative.

I see. And playing Bernard or Iwobi would have made a massive difference? Come off it. Most spend their days on here telling everyone they're not wingers anyway.

Gordon? Nobody knows. I'd trust Ancelotti to know the score.

I’m still stunned that Carlo Ancelotti, a three time CL winning manager, went up against Steve Bruce and a very, very average Newcastle team and tried to contain them and sneak a draw.

Stunned.

They had 37% of the ball.

For me - Gomes cost us that today. Not Ancelotti.

Without that Gomes pen - we'd have come away with a result - a very decent away result with the context of so many key players missing and it's that level of pragmatism I'm glad we have in a manager.

Did someone hack your account? Is that you davek?

What else could he have done, really?

Gordon? Niels was already making his debut at left back. We needed some experience/nous around him against the likes of Saint-Maximin

Who else? What else could he have done?

As I said earlier;

An Everton team, missing 5 key players in Richarlison, Rodriguez, Digne, Coleman and Holgate.

An Everton team, with Niels making his debut, Kenny thrown in without match fitness - Delph, Gomes, Sigurdsson and co.

An Everton team, when chasing a game, who have to turn to Iwobi, Bernard and Tosun.

Ancelotti took a pragmatic view - most were doom and gloom beforehand and rightly so.

We had more of the ball, we had more shots and if soft arse Gomes didn't put in one of his spaced off his tits games and do his off the ball liability act we'd have been right in that and took a point or maybe even nicked it late on.

Ancelotti has said pretty much the above - the intention given the context of missing half a first team was to go away to Newcastle, keep it tight and look to win it late on. Gomes cost us the game today.
Totally agree what other also ran team in this league (that's what we were last season) could manage with five of their best players unavailable for selection.
Last week most pundits were of the opinion that we have a strong first X1 but a weak bench. If you agree with that then I hope you will agree that carlo's project is not short term and there will be bumps along the way.

I just want to see an actual reaction from Carlo- even if it doesn’t involve Gordon. Play Niels with Digne on the left or further advanced- do something. Stop rewarding the likes of Iwobi/Gomes/Bernard/Sigurdsson for not pulling their weight and making massive gaffes.

It sets just as bad a precedent as it would have had he let Gordon sway him by going to his office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back