Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
its simple: first carlo "season" : he got the jop after last coach was sacked , so he had to work with was already in.

second season : he got 3 players in ... tried to work with the rest of the players and sracth some results. he realized he cant do work with most of the players on the staff, yet he kept a gentelman face and backed em up until last game... last game was a crushing blow to carlos "poker face" , he finally let loose what he already knew... this lot (most of it) is helpless.

third season: ... i bet the broom is ready to swoosh away most of the trash. i can xpect lots of changes on the preseason. (mina, holgate, delph, king, gomez, maybe richardlison, iwobi, bernard...jesus thats a lot of bellow average players..., couldbe out).

unless everton gets a huge investment like city once had, the "clansing" could take about 3 years more.. imo look at southamerica for cheap players, scout better and avoid overpriced EPL players (PL inflates way too much the prices of mediocre players)

Agree dangerous game in modern football to call out the dressing room unless he's confident he'll have a good 4-5 signings to come in this summer and replace the current lot.

Otherwise they could very well down tools and see him gone certainly if they feel he isn't accepting much of the criticism towards his tactics etc.

They wouldnt do that to us would they? Oh no. God forbid any of them do that and deprive us of their explosive talent.
Please dont down tools lads. Not sure any of us could cope(or notice)

Yeah very much so. In this case though i'm talking solely on a footballing level. If you know the team is capable of getting results a certain way but struggle when asked to do something different, then maybe just do the thing that gets the results. Having loads of faith in players to do something that they continually show themselves to be unable to do isn't really a desirable trait in a manager.

He's clearly a very very good manager, maybe one of the best, but I do think it's taken him too long to realise that things are different when your players aren't gifted. It's not that I don't have faith in him or think he can't take us forward, but I think we need to see a bit of the revolution he mentioned not needing if that's going to happen. I have no doubt he can get the best out of a group of top class players, but i'm not sure he knows how to get the best out of a mediocre bunch. For that reason, this summer is absolutely vital.

I remember saying around half way through this season, I'd have just stuck with the 4cb's when we had them available. I get lots wrong, but that I probably called right. It's not 20/20 of course, and it could have all gone wrong had we maintained a more defensive approach, but on reflection it was probably the best way to go.

What I will say though, is that's not a viable solution long term. You are basically playing a game of roulette to see who scores first. I'm not sure it's really scaleable. We will reach a ceiling, albeit one that is higher than where we currently are now, but not enormously so.

I actually think he's done very well all things considered, or better than I expected. But the concern would be, that you need to have a coach, who can coach players to attack better, rather than a tactician who requires the optimum players to win. Say what you want about Moyes, but he did coach players to get better here, even from an attacking standpoint. You think of Peinaar, Arteta, Cahill etc. I don't think Moyes is the answer, but unless Ancelotti gets serious backing replicating what happened with him may be.

Ancelotti is doing what he does at every club, and backing the players, but ultimately they just can't deliver for him consistently.

Agree dangerous game in modern football to call out the dressing room unless he's confident he'll have a good 4-5 signings to come in this summer and replace the current lot.

Otherwise they could very well down tools and see him gone certainly if they feel he isn't accepting much of the criticism towards his tactics etc.
Oh man, could you imagine how pitiful the performances would be if they really stopped trying?

Yeah I get that. I've said a few times, personally I think these players can play better football than this, just not the way they're set up at the moment. If you look at the latter Moyes teams for example, they played some really good stuff, but they didn't overplay - they got it forward early and then played from there. It wasn't route one, it was just direct. I think this team is capable of that type of football (just as one example) but we don't try to play that way, we ask the defenders to start playing out and they simply don't have the ability to do it, so we pass the ball about aimlessly for a bit before it inevitably goes awry because we're asking people to do things they aren't really comfortable with. It often looks to me like we're going out saying 'impose yourselves on the game, be brave etc' without ever putting plans in place for what that actually entails. But even if we accept that i'm wrong and they can't do that, there have been plenty of games - I mentioned Leeds, Fulham and Villa as examples - where we definitely could have adopted our away tactics but didn't. Villa were galloping through our midfield at will and at no point did we ever seem to say actually shall we just tighten up and look to nick one. It's that that I struggle to understand.

People understimate those Moyes teams. He had a young Coleman and Baines at fullback, Heitinga would often olay at CB and bring it out, you had Mirallas and Peinaar either side while Osman and Gibson could play as well. It really wasn't a team of bruisers. Yes we went direct at times to Fellaini, but there was also a lot of great interplay between the lines of Baines and Peinaar.

I think he's probably too good a manager to lsoe the dressing room, but what you will see is him just accepting mediocrity.

The club need to back him this summer. Otherwise it's pointless.

Yeah I get that. I've said a few times, personally I think these players can play better football than this, just not the way they're set up at the moment. If you look at the latter Moyes teams for example, they played some really good stuff, but they didn't overplay - they got it forward early and then played from there. It wasn't route one, it was just direct. I think this team is capable of that type of football (just as one example) but we don't try to play that way, we ask the defenders to start playing out and they simply don't have the ability to do it, so we pass the ball about aimlessly for a bit before it inevitably goes awry because we're asking people to do things they aren't really comfortable with. It often looks to me like we're going out saying 'impose yourselves on the game, be brave etc' without ever putting plans in place for what that actually entails. But even if we accept that i'm wrong and they can't do that, there have been plenty of games - I mentioned Leeds, Fulham and Villa as examples - where we definitely could have adopted our away tactics but didn't. Villa were galloping through our midfield at will and at no point did we ever seem to say actually shall we just tighten up and look to nick one. It's that that I struggle to understand.

I get that. But those games were purely down to legs in the middle of the park and our probable "quality" would shine if we'd kept the ball. Of course none of this worked and like you say, should've shore up the lines, but then that's fine lines with getting a result. Then there's also a number of games where we were let down with poor finishing or poor defending and both.

The only time I do remember making a tactical shift after a horror show was against Burnley. He threw Iwobi as a number 10...then changed it at 2 down in the first half.

I do get you though and Carlo can't deflect everything. But I just want a hole punched in this squad.

As for Moyes...he always has solid pros. We don't.

Bet he’s gone to Marcel with a very small list of players he doesn’t want to see sold, and said the rest are open season if you can find a buyer. Absolutely everyone on that subs bench last night is up for grabs, and a few of the players who started will be too.

Glad he’s seen their true colours now. So many of these wasters have got previous managers sacked.

These players are NOTHING. lose the dressing room? There isn't one to lose. Bin 80 percent of these over time carlo. The players who you tell in private you want them as part of the carlo revolution will be your boys. They won't chose them crap nobody's over you.

He’s done it at the perfect time the season is more or less dead now, he has nothing to lose. He should be giving Brands a list of players that will not be near the first team or even the squad next season regardless of price tag or salary they’re on.

Surely some of it is a tactical issue though. It’s easier for us to play counter attacking football against teams who come on to us and dominate possession. The teams who come to goodison and set up to keep it tight have more success because we are useless when asked to make the running. Agree Carlo could maybe have tried something more radical but that probably means throwing in the kids.

He’s tried 433, 4231, 442 (flat), 442 diamond, 4411, 3412, 5212.

He’s rotated goalkeepers all season until Pickford finally got the message and found some form.

He’s had every combination of CBs imaginable, flying full backs, flat centrebacks in the full back positions.

He’s had midfields of defensive workers, he’s had midfields of creative number 10s. He’s had full backs playing as wingers, he’s had wingers playing as full backs.

He’s had Richarlison out wide, he’s had him behind DCL, he’s had him upfront with DCL, he’s swapped them over. He’s had James on the right and as number 10.

He has tried almost every variant possible to find balance this season to get results so for those saying he just keeps doing the same thing at home and he needs to do something different I don’t know what more he can try.

It all points to the same thing. A poor squad of players that struggle to play even one formation adequately without there being a glaring hole for the opposition to exploit.

Caro didn’t trust the goalkeeper (I think he does now).
He doesn’t trust any CB partnership to play with proper full backs.
He doesn’t trust any central midfielders much apart from Allan and Doucoure
He doesn’t rate any of his other attacking options outside of DCL and Richalrison

I think he’s used to having a squad of top players that he can flex to find different tactical answers to win matches. At Everton I think he’s struggling to find a single formation that the players can play in on the front foot to win a match which is why we are left with playing defensively on the counter and set pieces. Or we go back to what Koeman Allardyce and Silva did which was to lash long balls into the corners get Dom to chase after it and keep everyone else back.

I do not see how he can be accused of 'Calling out the dressing room' He has merely stated that the players we have are not comfortable on the ball and do not move it forward quickly. As a result he has decided we need to play in the defensive style he has adopted.
Members of our first team squad have admitted results are not good enough. The players earn their living in a competitive sport which exists because fans pay to be entertained watching it.
If we are saying that players who know they have underperformed are going to down tools because their manager/coach has admitted to fans that the performances have not been good enough and acknowledges that recruitment is needed to change that. The only conclusion that can sensibly be drawn is that we are better of without those players anyway.

I consider Carlo's analysis of our problems to be a refreshing change from the guff that has been churned out by previous managers to justify poor performances.

Think some of them downed tools a long time ago.
I appreciate you are in the Carlo out camp but you are clutching at straws with this over exaggerated concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back