Match Thread Chelsea v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was a time to switch formations/tactics this is it.
Want to see us fight and out think Chelsea, not go toe to toe in attack.

Its a good time to see how the defensive side of things holds up.
And while it not the best time with a new CB combination, this is much more about how the whole side defends.

We could go a flat 4-4 and play the traditional counter
But we don't have the required balance of players for this, esp right wing.

To be able to play to our strengths while setting up to more easily compress space, a midfield 3 seems the answer.

Sig is proving to be a proper box to box rather than a 10. And the team is much better for it.
Playing one side of Gana while Gomes plays the other gives all three a clearer understanding of their roles and where to be on the pitch.
In other words the game is easier to read and their anticipation becomes better, especially in defence.
A 4-2-3-1, in regards to this, can become a shambles against better teams. Davies for one really struggled.

This is pretty much what the team is starting play anyway.
But the difference against Chelsea will be the need for the midfield 3 to form a more 'flatter' defensive unit rather than a 2-1.
They'll need to be more disciplined, more defensive focused.
If the 4-3 can absorb the pressure, it really gets down to 3 things:
1. how the front 3 are used in transition to attack
2. what ways the team will use possession to create chances
3. and in possession, how the 4-3 organise themselves so they're are not exposed when losing possession.

While not CL quality yet, we do have the players to nick a win, with discipline and patience.

Of the front 3, the two wider wider players will have to work their socks off to defend the wing with the midfield - one dropping in, the other cutting off passing lanes and being an outlet in transition. While the centre plays the transitional pivot.

The question is whether Silva will drop his favoured high press to do this.
Its not that the press has to be abandoned altogether, it depends on the set up while in possession.
But the decision when to do it or not becomes a lot more critical.
Chelsea will make pay the indecision, the lack of coordination.
Silva would want to be confident they can work to this collectively.
I'd play it anyway. It'd be a learning experience and we'd likely concede fewer goals than going toe to toe.
Bernard/Lookman could be the difference.

Coleman------Keane---------Mina---------Digne
---------Gomes--------Gana----------Sig-----------
--------------------Bernard/Lookman---------------
-------Theo/DCL-----------------------Rico---------

And while it not the best time with a new CB combination, this is much more about how the whole side defends.

To be able to play to our strengths while setting up to more easily compress space, a midfield 3 seems the answer.

Sig is proving to be a proper box to box rather than a 10. And the team is much better for it.
Playing one side of Gana while Gomes plays the other gives all three a clearer understanding of their roles and where to be on the pitch.
In other words the game is easier to read and their anticipation becomes better, especially in defence.
A 4-2-3-1, in regards to this, can become a shambles against better teams. Davies for one really struggled.

But the difference against Chelsea will be the need for the midfield 3 to form a more 'flatter' defensive unit rather than a 2-1.
3. and in possession, how the 4-3 organise themselves so they're are not exposed when losing possession.

While not CL quality yet, we do have the players to nick a win, with discipline and patience.

Of the front 3, the two wider wider players will have to work their socks off to defend the wing with the midfield - one dropping in, the other cutting off passing lanes and being an outlet in transition. While the centre plays the transitional pivot.

Its not that the press has to be abandoned altogether, it depends on the set up while in possession.
I'd play it anyway. It'd be a learning experience and we'd likely concede fewer goals than going toe to toe.

Simple answer lets play the way we have been the last few weeks and see how we get on

Simple answer lets play the way we have been the last few weeks and see how we get on
If it wasn't Chelsea I'd agree with you.
Simple answer is, we won't be able to play the way we've played the last couple of weeks.
Need to adapt to whats in front of you, not blinded by it.
There's a bit of the defeatist mentality to just playing the same thing on Sunday.

Simple answer is, we won't be able to play the way we've played the last couple of weeks.
There's a bit of the defeatist mentality to just playing the same thing on Sunday.
Issue that Silva has in this scenario is damned if he does damned if he doesn't. I'd be surprised if he made more than one or two player changes only personally.

Last edited:

I do think it’s a shame we had to sell him and at that price I think we will look back and say Chelsea got a bargain.

However I also think that Siggy is a better player and don’t entirely see where he would fit into the current system. I’d love to know Marcos views on whether he is a player that he would want in this team.

I also think that Barkley really struggled with all the managerial changes and his performances suffered. This in turn made his demands seem unreasonable. Had he been playing to his potential we might not have found this as hard to swallow.

Either way hope he is dogger this weekend.

The bench is the answer. He'd be unhappy and want to leave anyway for that reason.

The Bobby Brown shoes brigade wont like this...

I still don't know why Barkley wanted to leave. I've heard a few suggestions but who knows? .
ca29b253-56d6-48a8-8305-50152b0e5261_1.63c0fff24d803a75c3d975a8ce73bb68.jpeg

I expect us to play the same formation and team minus zouma for mina.
The difference will be player freedom i.e coleman and digne given a more disciplined role, gueye and gomes to sit, all players to get behind the ball and look to counter with the pace we have in attack, we will still press but not so high up the pitch.No need to mess with changing players/formations just the tactics employed.

If i was silva id tell the players to let them worry about us...

To win this match we need to be good on the counter...

Mina and Richarlison for the 2 goals.

If we try different things all of a sudden just to "stop" Chelsea then we most probably lose. Just be yourself and let them worry about us. They will have the pressure anyway.

If we try different things all of a sudden just to "stop" Chelsea then we most probably lose. Just be yourself and let them worry about us. They will have the pressure anyway.

I'd say it's pretty rare for an inferior side to go to Stamford Bridge with their normal game and win. You've got to adapt when you face quality teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back