• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

CL Final Inter Milan v Man City. Saturday 10th June 8pm KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
As siad, United proved they can win this trophy without mega cash.
Beg to differ mate. Utd got lucky winning the league when the EPL started, and the money rolled in. They broke transfer fees with the likes of Keane, Pallister, Stam, Yorke plus others. World record fee for Rio Ferdinand, £32m iirc in 2002, 20odd million for a teenager in 2004. They bought sucess as all teams do. Utd were the biggest club in the world in the 90s and 2000s and the spent big.

They wasted loads. It''s taken billions of wasted cash trying to win the CL to get to this point.
Dave. They won, end of. They have continually progressed to this point. We spent half that to regress beyond belief. Stop being bitter and leave that to our neighbours.

Dave. They won, end of. They have continually progressed to this point. We spent half that to regress beyond belief. Stop being bitter and leave that to our neighbours.

We spent a few hundred million and fell on our faces. I have no bother accepting that. But anyone thinking that Abramovic and Mansour didn't buy two no mark clubs their success with billions and billions are living in a fantasy world.

Yep 1999 treble was won with shoestring signings and local kids. How much have Everton spent to scrape survival on the last day?
Mate up until Roman came along to Chelsea, Utd were always the league's dominant spenders - Fergie outspent everyone. That along with the class of '92 is why they won 8 out of 11 prems until Chelsea got their first.

What's that got to do with City spending billions?

And how was getting 13/2 for a team that were the better team on the night an error?

In your own time...
Because they lost.

It was classic Dave. Push the thread before the match saying you backed inter at 13/2 in case they win, so on the off chance they did you could be the visionary who predicted it.

Then when they lose, it was only a punt so you weren’t wrong and can still bash city who have just won a treble because they spent money.

Because they lost.

It was classic Dave. Push the thread before the match saying you backed inter at 13/2 in case they win, so on the off chance they did you could be the visionary who predicted it.

Then when they lose, it was only a punt so you weren’t wrong and can still bash city who have just won a treble because they spent money.
And can rub it in man utd and the rs faces. hubris*

money has changed the game
There was always money, plenty of the dodgy stuff. What we are being asked to do now, however, is turn a blind eye to human rights abuses because the circus performers are superb. I just find that impossible. It's like cycling and athletics when the evidence before your eyes disabuses you of any romance towards the sport.

I'm pretty sure the money is dodgy. Whether it is blood money, however, is debatable. Certainly, Moshiri doesn't have a proven record of human rights abuses. He is not a government with demonstrably proven abuses to its name.

My position is quite simple. However odious previous owners of clubs have been - and some have been deeply so (Berlusconi, Abramovich, etc,), Manchester City, PSG, and Newcastle United are on a whole new level of dystopian authoritarianism. Their owners kill people. In the past, the worst that could be said is that the placemen of despots were running clubs. Now, we know in the cases of City, PSG, and Newcastle that the actual despots themselves are in charge - and not even bothering to hide in plain sight.

I'm not naive about this. Many clubs are recipients of dodgy funding. But the three clubs above aren't even pretending anymore. People really should not equate money derived from dubious financial dealings, odious as that is, with money derived from murderous despotism. There is a difference. We should draw the line somewhere.

Fair enough. Not the first dodgy money in football, and won’t be the last. The people in charge don’t give a hoot, or else they wouldn’t sanction these takeovers, or allow a World Cup in Qatar.
Absolutely agree.

I felt very similar about the World Cup. It was wonderful in football terms, but still felt hollow.

I don't expect any of this to change for the better, but tonight was joyless in my view. Gianni Infantino and Co are very dangerous people indeed.

I'm pretty sure the money is dodgy. Whether it is blood money, however, is debatable. Certainly, Moshiri doesn't have a proven record of human rights abuses. He is not a government with demonstrably proven abuses to its name.

My position is quite simple. However odious previous owners of clubs have been - and some have been deeply so (Berlusconi, Abramovich, etc,), Manchester City, PSG, and Newcastle United are on a whole new level of dystopian authoritarianism. Their owners kill people. In the past, the worst that could be said is that the placemen of despots were running clubs. Now, we know in the cases of City, PSG, and Newcastle that the actual despots themselves are in charge - and not even bothering to hide in plain sight.

I'm not naive about this. Many clubs are recipients of dodgy funding. But the three clubs above aren't even pretending anymore. People really should not equate money derived from dubious financial dealings, odious as that is, with money derived from murderous despotism. There is a difference. We should draw the line somewhere.
Moshiri's money comes from Usmanov who is in Putin's back pocket, if you don't think it's blood money I don't know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back