Computer games.

Finally finished my PC upgrade. I had a couple of setbacks but I’ve just been playing Squad for the first time and it was very smooth. It was running in 1440p on high settings at an average of around 90-100 FPS with hardly any stutters or frame rate drops.

It still runs fairly hot, so maybe I need to make some tweaks to the fans. I’d imagine the i7 generates a fair amount more heat than my old i5. It boots up in no time, though, and has a noticeable increase in raw power.

As for the game, I really like it. It’s a bit like Hell Let Loose, but it’s slower, more realistic, has more variety of classes and vehicles etc. people seem to communicate a bit more, too.

Anyone played road 96, looks original and worth a pint at £17.

It's a procedural generated hitch hiking game were you are trying to escape the country.
Got a lot of good feedback in steam user reviews

Been replaying the still-incredible Final Fantasy VII. This time, my first full playthrough since the 90's, I've done it with the fantastic (legal and free) Satsuki Yatoshi mod. All you need is the purchased freshly-installed Steam version. The mod is easy-to-install & stable, tho' I wouldn't combine it with other mods. It's superior to the recent PS4 soft-remaster. And the game itself is superior to the modern FFVII-Remake (or rather, Reboot).

I'm about to enter the North Cave (Disc-3 in old terms), the final stretch of the game. It really does have an amazing story, so multi-layered, and with effective pacing. Some lines I forgot about really hit hard this time, like
"please Professor, please give me a number"
...that dialogue is in a scene directly after the infamous Disc-1 cliffhanger. The trauma is palpable.

Gameplay is still excellent fun: the thankfully-rare mini-games (motorbike, snowboard, sub) are a bit crap but the core game is grand: exploring is very moreish, reading (instead of relying on voice-acting) adds an element of depth, much like what you get from a book vs movie-version, and reading as much as you can find adds more layers to the story, barely any line is wasted. The clever materia/inventory-system is balanced just right. Battles are somehow never boring. If any of yous ever undertake this game - any version of it - I recommend setting the Battle-config to "active" and fastest speed, so the fights feel intense and less like chess.

Here's coupla screenshots (using phone-camera) - this is gameplay not cutscene. The characters are no longer those child-like blocky sprites...really adds to the experience:

ff7c.jpg

ff7a.jpg

ff7b.jpg

Playing on a big 2x2m projector screen. Cut-scenes as you can imagine are spectacular, the only complaint is that with the mod some scenes are darkened as the Ai-powered oily-remaster process does its thing, plus there's some jerky scrolling during exploration...an occasional mild annoyance. The mod's also got neat things like making the text-boxes transparent, having the original (and masterful) PS1-soundtrack, smooth FPS and more.

Final Fantasy 7 is a rare 10/10. One of the greatest games of all time, and still worth a playthrough 25 years after release, even unmodded. You'll need about 40-50 hours in total gametime. A whopping time-investment! But well worth it.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy 7 is a rare 10/10. One of the greatest games of all time, and still worth a playthrough 25 years after release, even unmodded. You'll need about 40-50 hours in total gametime. A whopping time-investment! But well worth it.
That's decent compared to the games I usually play!

I have just devoted 120 hours to Tokyo Xanadu EX+!

Boss game by the way.

I have just devoted 120 hours to Tokyo Xanadu EX+!
holy yikes! i got that on a Steam freebie, it looks like the Persona games.

i'd like to have loads of free gametime, so many classics out there i'll probably never get round to. i try out loads but only manage to complete about two games per year: this year did Resident Evil 4 VR and now FFVII. Last year did Half-Life: Alyx and Bioshock Infinite. One year did the Mass Effect trilogy!

In my favoured to-play shortlist there's the classic Parasite Eve, and the horror sequel-trio of Project Zero 2 (aka as Fatal Frame), Silent Hill 2 and Forbidden Siren 2 (aka Siren). plus Lost Odyssey and Plague Tale.

From VR there's the modded Skyrim, Lone Echo, Boneworks and an unhealthy bunch of horror games lol

At current rates I'll have these completed by the end of 2027...

holy yikes! i got that on a Steam freebie, it looks like the Persona games.

i'd like to have loads of free gametime, so many classics out there i'll probably never get round to. i try out loads but only manage to complete about two games per year: this year did Resident Evil 4 VR and now FFVII. Last year did Half-Life: Alyx and Bioshock Infinite. One year did the Mass Effect trilogy!

In my favoured to-play shortlist there's the classic Parasite Eve, and the horror sequel-trio of Project Zero 2 (aka as Fatal Frame), Silent Hill 2 and Forbidden Siren 2 (aka Siren). plus Lost Odyssey and Plague Tale.

From VR there's the modded Skyrim, Lone Echo, Boneworks and an unhealthy bunch of horror games lol

At current rates I'll have these completed by the end of 2027...
Yeah its basically Trails of Cold Steel in a modern setting mixed with a bit of Ys (two games I love, I just love Falcom games).

I ploughed through Trails of Cold Steel I-IV during lockdown. About 150 hours for each chapter and enjoyed every second of it.

I remember Parasite Eve when it came out, loved it at first but got stuck and never went back to it, I think because I was busy playing Rival Schools instead.

Yeah I tend to stockpile games and struggle to get round to playing them. Next up for me is either Yakuza - Like a Dragon or Ys IX. Though I may wait for the next Trails game which is supposedly out next month...

Been replaying the still-incredible Final Fantasy VII. This time, my first full playthrough since the 90's, I've done it with the fantastic (legal and free) Satsuki Yatoshi mod. All you need is the purchased freshly-installed Steam version. The mod is easy-to-install & stable, tho' I wouldn't combine it with other mods. It's superior to the recent PS4 soft-remaster. And the game itself is superior to the modern FFVII-Remake (or rather, Reboot).

I'm about to enter the North Cave (Disc-3 in old terms), the final stretch of the game. It really does have an amazing story, so multi-layered, and with effective pacing. Some lines I forgot about really hit hard this time, like
"please Professor, please give me a number"
...that dialogue is in a scene directly after the infamous Disc-1 cliffhanger. The trauma is palpable.

Gameplay is still excellent fun: the thankfully-rare mini-games (motorbike, snowboard, sub) are a bit crap but the core game is grand: exploring is very moreish, reading (instead of relying on voice-acting) adds an element of depth, much like what you get from a book vs movie-version, and reading as much as you can find adds more layers to the story, barely any line is wasted. The clever materia/inventory-system is balanced just right. Battles are somehow never boring. If any of yous ever undertake this game - any version of it - I recommend setting the Battle-config to "active" and fastest speed, so the fights feel intense and less like chess.

Here's coupla screenshots (using phone-camera) - this is gameplay not cutscene. The characters are no longer those child-like blocky sprites...really adds to the experience:

View attachment 180370

View attachment 180339

View attachment 180340

Playing on a big 2x2m projector screen. Cut-scenes as you can imagine are spectacular, the only complaint is that with the mod some scenes are darkened as the Ai-powered oily-remaster process does its thing, plus there's some jerky scrolling during exploration...an occasional mild annoyance. The mod's also got neat things like making the text-boxes transparent, having the original (and masterful) PS1-soundtrack, smooth FPS and more.

did you wallop that sea beast up the cracken? and get the golden chocobo for the knights of the round table?

I remember Parasite Eve when it came out, loved it at first but got stuck and never went back to it.
the English-language version costs around a hundred quid on the used market, but i managed to find a legal but slightly-complicated workaround:

1) make a USA Playstation Store account.
2) add obligatory $10 funds to it via paypal.
3) boot up ye old PS3, log on to the new account.
4) open the Store (via the PS3) and buy Parasite Eve for $5.99 (plus 10% taxes).
5) install and away we go! No IP checks so even if outside USA it's not a problem.

The characters are blocky, with it being a PS1-game, but the PS3 has that nice smoothing effect for the backgrounds & FMV.

There are also PC-mods out there to play Parasite Eve which remaster the blocky characters, but it's a legal greyzone as officially the game remains a Playstation-exclusive.

A note on the PS3 Online Store...it's gonna be closing forever on March 2023. At the moment, via the above process, you can still digitally purchase rare expensive PS1/2 classics like the first Silent Hill, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Project Zero/Fatal Frame trilogy, Siren/Forbidden Siren, Legend of Dragoon, classic Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, Klonoa - Door to Phantomile etc...$6-$10 per game. The original Disk-versions cost small fortunes these days, and PC-mod options are grey-areas.

I'm a bit of a gaming-history buff, it's a fascinating market with many works of art out there that many never discovered, especially in the early console eras. Once that PS3-Store finally closes down, some of them will effectively never be discovered again.

Yeah I tend to stockpile games and struggle to get round to playing them.
yeah...my Steam list-of-shame is ridiculous. I need about 10 lifetimes to plough through that. I'm a sucker for those bundles...

Next up for me is either Yakuza - Like a Dragon
I've got Yakuza Zero on Steam which is fairly up there in my shortlist. It seems like a better option than Shenmue (which I gave up on after about two hours).

But i reckon Lost Odyssey will be my next japanese-voiced game.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back